"bastard" characters :D

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
biscuit
Woods ranger

Re: "bastard" characters :D

Post by biscuit »

Oh no! I am full of fear and trembling! :O

Excited and intrigued!
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

My vote for most likely "bastard" is Samaras, simply because unlike Jul he's male. When he looks into your eyes and tells you that you look delicious with that wicked smile of his, and flirtatiously invites you back to his tent for some dinner, he's probably imagining something very different from what you are, something that you may not survive... Jul gets the vote for most likely "bitch", she is a full demon after all, and she's perfectly willing to use her sex appeal to get what she wants from you.

In the original story it might have been interesting if one of the Amazons decided that after the war it was time for you to go back to being her slave, or for Chamby to turn out to be a selfish bitch instead of a bad girl with a heart of gold, or for Rei to turn out to be a real player out to score instead of just an insecure young male giving the girl he likes a hard time because he's terrified of showing vulnerability, or for Mesphit to lose control of his demon and accidentally kill Elenor, like everyone feared he might, only to kill himself in grief afterward. Of course it's too late for any of that now, but it would have certainly stirred the pot and caused a lively discussion.
RosasWarrior
Young scout

Post by RosasWarrior »

Although having “bastard characters” are a good idea, I rather see this idea used differently with maybe a cast of characters that are not romanceable. Romance is one of the main “attractions” [my opinion] besides the amazing story with a touch of an interesting turn base combat system. Having the player’s romantic interest turning out to me a major jerk face is kind of a disappointment, especially if they are one of their “first picks” and not just romantic interests that are played through for the sake of completion or story. Sometimes playing video games is kind a breather for what we used to in real life, having to worry about people being arses and such.

Take Jacob from Mass Effect for example; although he had a small fanbase, it was still super disappointing for the fans that enjoyed him to find that he wasn’t such a dedicated man... I know that life isn’t full of butterflies and rainbows, and that everyone will only love one person ever and be dedicated for their whole entire life, so if the story calls for it and it truly matches their character, then heyo bastard character all the way.

Maybe if we want the message conveyed to players to watch out for toxic people, maybe show it with a non-romanceable character. Something like Ramas’s and Dora story [which is adorable!!], and see how their relationship evolves as the story progresses.

There are bastard traits in a good portion of the characters [lot’s mentioned such as Mesh, Rei, Chambara and future romances for Samaras and Jul potentially], if they are all bastards then that makes the whole romance feature kind of meh. Or if an unlucky player who chooses that one bad character... that sucks. I mean sometimes we make bad choices, but I just prefer my video games not that depressing when it comes to relationships. It may also ruin the mood for a player if they aren’t all that interested in the other characters. Just my opinion :] For me personally I love the game so much that I romanced everyone to experience more of their story. So it depends!

Although if it is put in the game, I’m quite interested in all the ideas that have been brought up… warning signs, revenge >:], and having them be good friends rather than lovers. Hey there could be an option to roundkick their face or just be friends… or both [they deserve it right? ;)]
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Using non-romanceable characters would be the safest thing of course.
Perhaps it could be a situation like this:
- fall in love, romance, etc
- discover betrayal
- revenge (but not bloody revenge as someone suggests :wink:)
- they become good friend
or variations of the above. It could also be a complicated relationship: you know those based on love/hate moments (which I don't recommend to anyone, but sadly they happen in real life). Then it could make more sense perhaps. The betrayal I think doesn't necessarily means having fooled the player, bug might just be a different view on a very important topic that lead to breaking up/parting ways.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Hmm, the revenge bit might be a bit optional. Here is an idea, not yet really refined:

Say, after the player discovers the betrayal, the bastards splits off for a bit. Might only be a different inn while the party is in town, or similar. Then (s)he gets abducted while away from the party, and threatened with .... whatever we think might be appropriate ;-) (this might be where we differ :twisted: ) The player gets the news the bastard is abducted, but also that there is an opportunity to get a weapon of choice or so, but only if moving now. The weapon might be on a ship, for example, ready to cast off. Which gives the player the choice: Rescuing the bastard, with the reward of gloating a bit and keeping a useful party member; or getting the sword, with the obvious reward of having the sword, and additionally getting revenge. (Either the bastard is dead, if I have my way :twisted: - or (s)he is released by the captor but miffed and breaks completely with the party.)

In case the game does not enter the situation, you hear about the bonus weapon, but are not at the right time at the right place. Just to avoid punishing the player for choosing an interesting path through the game.

Oh, and while un-romanceable chars would be "safe", I think having a romanceable char as bastard would make much more sense, and give much more player involvement. Just make sure the player is warned.

Edit: On reflection, it does not feel right; better would be: First a choice to get rid of the bastard (either with boot on the backside or with dagger in various anatomical parts :twisted: ) - if yes, player gets sword. If no, choose rescue or sword. Gives the player the opportunity to do it to the bastard herself/himself.