Less perfect characters?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Kamach
Young scout

Less perfect characters?

Post by Kamach »

After that romance poll, I did a little bit of sleuthing. Apparently, there is a huge lack of less than perfect characters, and I don't mean in the manner of personality - we've got plenty of obnoxious characters, all right - but in physical appearance. Almost all characters are attractive, there is a serious lack of unattractive characters, such as fat, greasy hair, dirty, unkempt clothes and so on. If there are any, they are just side characters or even villains that nobody likes.

It's like I'm browsing a swimsuit catalog. No ugly ones inside. By that I mean models, not swimsuits, there are plenty of abysmal swimsuits in there. But I digress. Why are there no ugly/unattractive characters for those romance options? Isn't what is inside supposed to count?

Even the cripples in Katawa Shoujo are all attractive. Even that crisp burnt girl. This is getting a bit old. Not to say that I am visually unattractive - in fact, often I get told I look much younger than I really am - however it feels like the less fortunate individuals could do with some confidence boost, else we- they will remain cocooned at the PC, playing VNs.

Some optional not-so-beautiful characters to spice the romance soup with? How about it?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Less perfect characters?

Post by jack1974 »

Yes we discussed this a few months ago in some thread (I think is somewhere in Loren's forum but I am not sure anymore).
Basically I'm OK with it and I want to try, trying to introduce a few "not top models" character in each game. I understand completely your point of view and I support it, but as often happens I have to adapt to what lets me "survive" so I want to be prudent :)
In many of the upcoming games the art has been done/planned, but you can see some "less perfect figures" already in Roommates, and also in Loren 2, and probably in more games. Planet Stronghold 2 will introduce the very first androgynous character for example. Is a slow process but I'm trying to do my best to offer something different :)
Kamach
Young scout

Post by Kamach »

Fair enough! Just stop short of furry and tentacle waters, please. ;)

Also, what's with the sports tickets link on bottom of the page?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha some small advertising to cover the forum hosting :)
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

Some optional not-so-beautiful characters to spice the romance soup with? How about it?

I really really back this up, because I want to see more diversity in characters, especially body type.

Of course it's easier to attract players if all of the love interests are very beautiful/handsome... =(

I'm kinda, maybe, sorta, dabbing with the 'less than perfect' idea with a game I'm working on. It won't be much. ^^; But if the reception is warm and people support it, it'll be nice... (I'm worried that people won't like it, so we have to change the sprites... -_-; We'll see how it goes. The artist loved it though, and even offered her own ideas for another character.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I think trying introducing 1-2 not-so-beautiful characters in a game is OK. There are other indies doing VNs commercially that don't even touch gay/lesbian themes fearing to lose sales, so I think I'm pretty open under this regard. But of course I can't risk everything, so need to "proceed with caution" :mrgreen:
Fearsome
Young scout

Post by Fearsome »

Jack, for SH 2, when you do the extra character packs you mentioned, how about a chunky option, both male and female. Both a bit sweet and kind of plain, but really bright minds and personalities.

For that matter, I would personally really dig a *female* romance option with scars.
I have a few gnarly scars myself as a result of shenanigans in my youth- in the semi-fantasy world of SH, I know they may have magic to heal such things- but, a woman warrior who has a missing eye or visible scars (besides the light little x scars on cheeks or something), would be incredible, something no one has ever done before, that I know of.

That way, it could be a romance that buds, or a friendship that buds, over time spent together, helping each other. Maybe calling out something coming up on the blind side, being a true shield companion, <3 uh, I'll stop babbling... anyways, YES I love this idea.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That's an interesting suggestion indeed, will talk with Sarah about it :)
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

What's your Project sleepykitten?
josipa24
Young scout

Post by josipa24 »

Fearsome wrote:Jack, for SH 2, when you do the extra character packs you mentioned, how about a chunky option, both male and female. Both a bit sweet and kind of plain, but really bright minds and personalities.

For that matter, I would personally really dig a *female* romance option with scars.
I have a few gnarly scars myself as a result of shenanigans in my youth- in the semi-fantasy world of SH, I know they may have magic to heal such things- but, a woman warrior who has a missing eye or visible scars (besides the light little x scars on cheeks or something), would be incredible, something no one has ever done before, that I know of.

That way, it could be a romance that buds, or a friendship that buds, over time spent together, helping each other. Maybe calling out something coming up on the blind side, being a true shield companion, <3 uh, I'll stop babbling... anyways, YES I love this idea.
Omg Fearsome, are you me? I started playing with the idea of starting a project of my own a few months back and one of the LIs is a mature very voluptuous lady with a scar down the side of her face (and her eye is discolored because of it). Scars and curves are a major plus for me, wouldn't mind seeing more of them :D.