favorite romance gender poll

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what kind of romance you prefer?

You may select up to 4 options

 
 
View results

User avatar
ReadyOrNot
Young scout
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by ReadyOrNot » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:47 pm

I have to admit that I absolutely like the classic BG games - but I am also open for alternatives - a good story is a good story, no matter which combination ;)

deathknight1728
Woods ranger
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by deathknight1728 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:22 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:I have to admit that I absolutely like the classic BG games - but I am also open for alternatives - a good story is a good story, no matter which combination ;)
They were some of the best rpgs for that aspect alone. There was a drow mod (solaufein) that allowed for a romance for male characters and female characters. It was a very very good mod and the conversations were so good that it almost felt like it was part of the original game-BG2. Thats got to tell you something when a game that came out in 1998 is still being modded in 2013.

The characters and romances were interesting but werent very fulfilling in some aspects. For example-Viconia and Jahierra were very solid characters and had very solid romances. However, when I made a female protagonist, I couldnt pursue the only male romance of Anomen in BG2, just because I found he wasnt a good choice. I thought that they needed other choices for a female protagonist.

This is where the modding comes in (along with BGEE). Now there are like so many more choices for everything. Im still waiting for BG EE on mac, but the patience is slowly running out with all these great features to enjoy :)

Mariko
Young scout
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by Mariko » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Sylrissa wrote:
Fearsome wrote: *shrugs* My entire life has been playing male dominated games on consoles and computers, why would I seek it out in my indie games niche?
I agree with this so much.

I wonder how the poll results are going to turn out over the weeks and months, but I wouldn't be surprised if otome and yuri were the most popular.
Wow, It seems otome is the least Popular.

My sister-in-law would be quite surprised by polls like this. She's never understood the male fascination with yuri since (at least according to her) the reverse is not true for females and yaoi. Apparently her assumption is dead wrong. lol.

Of course that's not to assume that males are the only yuri fans or that females are the only yaoi fans but I do suspect that the majority of Yuri and Yaoi fans are male and female respectively.

Maybe an interesting (although not very useful) poll one be one with the following options...

Male fan of yuri

Female fan of yuri

Male fan of yaoi

Female fan of yaoi

Male fan of both

Female fan of both
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora

User avatar
thesleepykitten
Official writer
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 am
Location: Canada

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by thesleepykitten » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Is there a difference between yuri/yaoi catered to females and/or males or do both genders enjoy the same content regardless...? I never really thought of it. ^^;

User avatar
Franka
Elder Druid
Posts: 1216
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by Franka » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Well, "conventional wisdom" says that it's more about the style, males enjoying visual/graphic content, females enjoying emotional content. As with all generalizations, it isn't true for everybody, but that would be a typical difference in gender targeted writing.

Mariko
Young scout
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by Mariko » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:48 pm

thesleepykitten wrote:Is there a difference between yuri/yaoi catered to females and/or males or do both genders enjoy the same content regardless...? I never really thought of it. ^^;
Interesting question. I never really thought much of it either. Although thinking of it now I'd site (as examples) Sasameki Koto as an example of yuri catering to males being basically a romantic comedy with the funniest moments being Sumika fantasizing about getting to see Kazama's boobs. Also they have the obligatory pool and beach episodes which are male targeted fanservice I think. And then there's Aoi Hana Which I guess could be considered female targeted being more of a drama and having no fan service at all.

And as a male I can tell you I'm a fan of both, each for different reasons though. Fanservice has it's place but I find it hard to have as much respect for an anime that relies on it. Aoi Hana for example is a good "Respectable" yuri anime.

I imagine opinions will vary though.
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14356
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by jack1974 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Mariko wrote: Wow, It seems otome is the least Popular.
No, otome is GxB which is in third place but very close to BxB. BxG is the lowest and is not a surprise to me, since my early games were more aimed towards BxG (like Bionic Heart) and they were much less popular than others. I'm curious about BH2 indeed, even if that is not a game based only on romance but has also mystery and a cool story I think.

Foelhe
Young scout
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by Foelhe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 pm

thesleepykitten wrote:Is there a difference between yuri/yaoi catered to females and/or males or do both genders enjoy the same content regardless...? I never really thought of it. ^^;
Yaoi does. Well, there aren't really hard and fast rules for either, and of course there are exceptions, but there are a lot of tropes in female-oriented yaoi that most gay men don't care for - seme and uke roles are a good example. I normally don't even use the word "yaoi" to describe the stuff I read, because I tend to see that as a genre for women. Though that could just be me.

Mariko
Young scout
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by Mariko » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Mariko wrote: Wow, It seems otome is the least Popular.
No, otome is GxB which is in third place but very close to BxB. BxG is the lowest and is not a surprise to me, since my early games were more aimed towards BxG (like Bionic Heart) and they were much less popular than others. I'm curious about BH2 indeed, even if that is not a game based only on romance but has also mystery and a cool story I think.
I didn't realize there was any significant difference between GxB or BxG. I figured they're both hetro.
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora

User avatar
Sylrissa
Druid
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: favorite romance gender poll

Post by Sylrissa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:04 am

Mariko wrote:
jack1974 wrote:
Mariko wrote: Wow, It seems otome is the least Popular.
No, otome is GxB which is in third place but very close to BxB. BxG is the lowest and is not a surprise to me, since my early games were more aimed towards BxG (like Bionic Heart) and they were much less popular than others. I'm curious about BH2 indeed, even if that is not a game based only on romance but has also mystery and a cool story I think.
I didn't realize there was any significant difference between GxB or BxG. I figured they're both hetro.
While they are both hetro, otome pretty much means "maiden game", and so is a term used for games targeted towards a female audience.

I've pre-ordered BH2 to give it a fair go, even though I couldn't get into the story of the first BH

Post Reply