Winter Wolves & Smugglers 5

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Fafhred
Young scout

Winter Wolves & Smugglers 5

Post by Fafhred »

I just received your latest news email.

This includes advertising for the game Smugglers 5; I have serious issues about this:
- This game seem to be a re-marketting (apparently the only diff is some new content) of is a fairly old game (several years), and was designed to run only on low resolution screens.
- Several years ago, when that game was released, I tried the demo and found it unplayable (the display was less than a quarter of my screen at its everyday resolution).
- There was an issue posted about this on the developer's own forum (since many people were unhappy with that), and the author of this game decreed that he would NOT update his game to have it run on modern resolutions; if I remember correctly, he answered people to just 'switch their screen to that resolution' and would not want to hear about this being inconvenient or even unacceptable.

Basically, at that time I blacklisted this independant developer from any further interest in any of his games.

What I see now is that he is trying to promote his game(s) by the backdoor through other independant developers, and I have a really big issue about this: we have here a developer who does not give a toss about what is convenient for players; honestly, with that attitude he has not business being in the field of independant development, and I DO NOT WANT to receive any further news (advertising) of his game through WInter Wolves.
Last edited by Fafhred on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Winter Wolves & Smugglers 5

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm are you sure about this ? As far as I know, Smugglers 5 is rather new - he made some older games (the previous Smuggler series) but the 5th episode should be new. Anyway, thanks for letting me know, I'll see if he can/want to answer your post here.
Fafhred
Young scout

Post by Fafhred »

Yes, I am really sure: http://www.nielsbauergames.com/smugglers5.html shows:

The game looks like Smugglers 4. What´s new?

We have added tons of new content. You can download a complete list of changes since Smugglers 4 here: http://nbsd.fileburst.com/Smugglers5Changes.txt
--------------end quote

I also remember that at one point, mister Bauer simply deleted ALL forum posts about the issue as he did not want this to hurt his marketing.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I asked Niels about this and he replied to me:
I am sorry that this customer of yours feels that way. It is true that the interface has not been changed, instead I have added a lot of other content.

The six most important new features compared to Smugglers 4:
• You can now start and rule your own empire!
• Manage your own factories or pirate outposts
• Raid and plunder planets or pirate outposts
• 80,000 words of new and dynamic short stories (the equivalent of a full length novel)
• Completely revised skill and combat system
• Play as an independent adventurer - or join the military

Here is a complete list of changes:
http://nbsd.fileburst.com/Smugglers5Changes.txt

If the customers are still unsure, they should watch the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d9rKMMm ... r_embedded

It´s called Smugglers FIVE (!), so obviously it relates to the previous parts. If I wanted to have made a completely different game, I would have called it different. A lot of people enjoy playing it. I suggest everyone looks at the information above and makes his own choice. And for those still doubting: There is a FREE demo.
Fafhred
Young scout

Post by Fafhred »

... Which confirms that it should really be called Smugglers version 5

As for the interface unchanged, if that is still the previous low resolution screen (without a full screen mode), he is not going to get many happy customers.

As for other people who like me were interested in his game in the past, but were basically told to 'take a hike' when asking for a usable resolution, I do not expect that any will bother to buy from him.

My previous remark still applies: I do not want hear any more from this game through Winter Wolves news.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Fafhred wrote: My previous remark still applies: I do not want hear any more from this game through Winter Wolves news.
Well for this you can be sure: I never send twice the newsletter for the same game, not even for my games (unless they're in beta or there's a major update/promo sale). :wink: