Steam Greenlight

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Steam Greenlight

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah, I think I'm going to submit SOTW BEFORE is available, as soon as I can make a video. This way, I'll have the "kickstarter effect" where people fantasize about a game without even knowing really how it will be in the end and get more votes. Yes I'm bitter, I think that kind of behavior is foolish, but anyway is how most human brain/people are made probably :mrgreen:
(I've never backed any game on KS, and I'll never do. Show me something finished, at least a beta, and I'll gladly pay fullprice if I like it. I don't buy "ideas" :lol:)

This of course is not directed towards backstage pass, or other companies that have already made games in the past, this way more or less you know what to expect at least :)
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

I think I've said this before, but I believe that good videos and early promo materials do a lot to sell a game on platforms like Greenlight. Having really striking/original art helps as well -both Sakevisual and Moacube have very good regular artists. It might be worth investing in an in-house artist, like Gracjana Zielinska, though I don't know how easy/difficult that'd be. Reliable game artists can be really rare (I should know, I used to do art for games :mrgreen: ).

But yeah, in regards to Kickstarter, Greenlight and the like, it's easier to sell a fantasy rather than a product anyway. The product will always have flaws, but a fantasy is molded to whatever the viewer wants it to be.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OtterFace wrote:I think I've said this before, but I believe that good videos and early promo materials do a lot to sell a game on platforms like Greenlight. Having really striking/original art helps as well -both Sakevisual and Moacube have very good regular artists. It might be worth investing in an in-house artist, like Gracjana Zielinska, though I don't know how easy/difficult that'd be. Reliable game artists can be really rare (I should know, I used to do art for games :mrgreen: ).
Having someone like her regular would be IMPOSSIBLE :mrgreen:
Loren's artist is very good IMHO, nothing to envy to most other artists (but that's personal tastes of course). Anyway, more than the art I think the previous videos were rather poor (I was doing them myself lol) and also, is quite random. Is enough that a popular videoblogger like Dodger plays your game to instantly get TON of votes (Always Remember Me), for a game that on Steam will have less chances to do well than another RPG like Planet Stronghold :mrgreen: I know other VN that would have NEVER got in, that got in for the same reason. I honestly hope they change the system, since right now is just a popularity contest and has very little to do with actual game quality or sales.
OtterFace wrote: But yeah, in regards to Kickstarter, Greenlight and the like, it's easier to sell a fantasy rather than a product anyway. The product will always have flaws, but a fantasy is molded to whatever the viewer wants it to be.
Exactly :) I honestly don't think they should allow unfinished games on Greenlight. There are some games approved that aren't there even after several months!
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote: Anyway, more than the art I think the previous videos were rather poor (I was doing them myself lol) and also, is quite random.
Presentation has a lot to do with it too. Something more polished is more likely to get a positive response.
Is enough that a popular videoblogger like Dodger plays your game to instantly get TON of votes (Always Remember Me), for a game that on Steam will have less chances to do well than another RPG like Planet Stronghold :mrgreen:
I do hope the boost her fans give will be enough to get passed Greenlight. Of course, I hope if more of your games get through, the more exposure it generates to get other things through.
Exactly :) I honestly don't think they should allow unfinished games on Greenlight. There are some games approved that aren't there even after several months!
Beta state, I can handle, although some of those games have been in Beta for over a year.

Heh, and I promise not to rant to far on Early Access (the whole Alpha Build thing)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Miakoda wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Exactly :) I honestly don't think they should allow unfinished games on Greenlight. There are some games approved that aren't there even after several months!
Beta state, I can handle, although some of those games have been in Beta for over a year.

Heh, and I promise not to rant to far on Early Access (the whole Alpha Build thing)
Well, let me tell you: Alpha/Beta/released is not always a measure how much fun a game is. I have bought a number of games in "alpha" and had a lot of fun with them (as in: major timesink.) One game even was fun in early versions, and got worse during development. Yes, happens that new features make something less fun. (Said game was in the first greenlighted batch. I've played it first a year before greenlight was announced.)

Should Valve forbid the words "unfinished", "alpha" or similar in the game descriptions again, the result will be the same as was during the early days of greenlight: "Finished" is in some ways a definition, and if the game needs to be defined as "finished" to be put on Steam people will do it. Especially as indie developers sometimes need cash to go on, to fully develop. Which results in everybody loosing: The game gets a bad name, and the customers get lied to. Whereas now the customer can see what is finished and what is not. And as I said, "unfinished" vs. "finished" is often not related to "unfun" vs. "fun". Though you need to accept the occasional bug.
Anyway, more than the art I think the previous videos were rather poor (I was doing them myself lol) and also, is quite random.
Presentation has a lot to do with it too. Something more polished is more likely to get a positive response.
I know there are some guides out there how to make a good pitch on kickstarter. (Oh no, I have said the k-word! :oops: ) I would be very surprised if there are none for greenlight, but in that case you still might think about adapting any halfway fitting guide. The most important thing (besides the limited attention span, meaning max 1,5 min as someone said) is that the trailer should tell a story in some way. Something along the lines of "This is our hero and this is the game world and here are the dangers/baddies/big bad bosses; and if you want to find out how it ends buy the game." Not necessarily in this order, but better not just a few random screenshots where the viewer has no idea how they are connected.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Lonestar51 wrote:Well, let me tell you: Alpha/Beta/released is not always a measure how much fun a game is. I have bought a number of games in "alpha" and had a lot of fun with them (as in: major timesink.) One game even was fun in early versions, and got worse during development. Yes, happens that new features make something less fun. (Said game was in the first greenlighted batch. I've played it first a year before greenlight was announced.)
You won't find me disagreeing with you about how fun something is, even if it is just an early build (in whatever fashion). If I didn't think a game was fun, I wouldn't participate in certain Betas (or try to when the opportunity presents itself). :)

Roommates, for example, was quite fun.

However, I was amiss in not clarifying any distaste I have with Early Access actually boils down to individual developers, and not Early Access itself. Anyways, I won't divert the topic any further.
Fearsome
Young scout

Post by Fearsome »

Question, if we already have a copy (or three) of the game(s) listed above, is there any coupon or code for getting a discount on the game on steam?
I want to give a good review and get all my loverly achievements on steam, but don't want to buy a 3rd copy of Loren. D:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes just email me with your purchase info and I'll send you a Steam key!
JJCobra
Young scout

Post by JJCobra »

Just thought I'd pop by and congratulate you on getting three more games greenlit. Nothing better than seeing a few more Winter Wolves games joining the likes of SakeVisual, Hanako, and Sakura River.

So now we can all expect to see Planet Stronghold, Always Remember Me, and Flower Shop: Summer in Fairbrook grace our computers in all they Steam filled glory.

Maybe the love for Visual Novel/Dating game is finally crossing the ocean since within the last year the amount of translated games and Western releases has started to pick up steam on well... you know Steam.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

lol so Always Remember Me didn't go live on Steam yesterday because I forgot to mark the trading cards as "released" :lol: they changed the interface completely, before you didn't need to do anything, now you must set drop rate and such. Is cool, but also in my case confused me!!

The result: I missed the last weekend before the Easter sale, and I'll have to release the game Monday :( and nowadays releasing the game during the weekend is very important... BAH <- pissed!