How to improve my games?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

Let's say you could decide what extras to add to a finished game. It would be more valuable for you:

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: How to improve my games?

Post by jack1974 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:13 am

ROFL, the lady voicing Karen sent me this link about female armors in games and it's hilarious, thought to share it:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/65508 ... rmor-sucks

Jim1958
Young scout

Post by Jim1958 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm

jack1974 wrote:ROFL, the lady voicing Karen sent me this link about female armors in games and it's hilarious, thought to share it:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/65508 ... rmor-sucks
That is so funny, but it hits way to close to home. I do believe that wearing high heels during battles offers a huge advantage as it shifts the centre of gravity forward and makes the female taller. Fortunately that mistake was not made on Dora who obviously would be much better protected by cut off jean shorts and the male characters in Loren also had a great deal of their vital organs exposed so hopefully it was fair. Also Loren's battle thong would obviously offer great protection. Perhaps for the PS sequel you should go for a more realistic look, maybe like what 7 of 9 wore in Star Trek Voyager :lol:

Best Regards
Jim

Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema » Fri May 04, 2012 1:43 am

You wear high heels and tell me if it offers you a "huge advantage." :lol:

Here is a video experiment of two women actually attempting to fight each other in ridiculous armor.

Jim1958
Young scout

Post by Jim1958 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 am

Aleema wrote:You wear high heels and tell me if it offers you a "huge advantage." :lol:

Here is a video experiment of two women actually attempting to fight each other in ridiculous armor.
Tongue was firmly planted in cheek. I actually wonder how people walk in them. The video was funny!

Josep Maria
Young scout

Post by Josep Maria » Fri May 04, 2012 4:09 am

Impressive XD Obviously and sadly, the game market its still focused by and for men. I don't saying that I don't like to see those "armors" (XD) but, please... no more thanks XD

Until the moment I have to say that the better "female" armor I ever seen its the one from Titania at Fire Emblem Saga. And she is even sexy XD
Spoiler:

Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema » Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 am

That's beautiful. Aleema approves.

MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel » Fri May 04, 2012 8:10 am

Titania was not only beautiful but one of the most powerful women in the game :) and she didn't have to show any flesh or even walk (she rides a horse the whole game!)

Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ » Fri May 04, 2012 12:39 pm

MarSel wrote:Titania was not only beautiful but one of the most powerful women in the game :) and she didn't have to show any flesh or even walk (she rides a horse the whole game!)
I found Jill, Nephenee and Mia to be more powerful in Radiant Dawn. The game has a lot of great female characters in the first place.

But High Heels are an abomination not only on the battlefield, but also for any one who doesn't have the luxury of paved and flat underground. And we are not even talking jungle grade undergrowth. Just last year I saw a model walking across a meadow in high heals. It was hilarious to watch. High Heels are my personal pet peeve anyway, every character designer that includes them should be forced to demonstrate the movements with them himself.

MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel » Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm

In RD yes you are right but in PoR she was high powered from the start. Shame the ruined it in RD. I loved all the woman in that series and found myself with mostly a female team :)

Themobboss
Young scout

Post by Themobboss » Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm

I noticed a discussion in the PR thread that came up and this seemed to be the best place to chime in on it with regards to the outfits in Loren. I'd like to preface this by saying I have enjoyed what I've seen from Planet Stronghold and Loren, and I would have no issue purchasing like titles in the future.
That being said I've read Aleema's and Anima's comments with regards to NPC dress and find myself in agreement. I've played computer RPGs since the very early days, starting off with Wizardry 1 on an Apple II+ with a green screen. It was this enjoyment of RPG's that eventually led me to Baldur's Gate 2. The inclusion of the NPC romances with well written and developed characters was a revelation as well as an amazing fit. With that I was hooked and have purchased all of Bioware's titles since then, as much for the writing, including romances, as for the excellent game play.
In choosing which romances to pursue and teammates to interact with appearance did play a part certainly, but more important was character personality and development. Sure fanservice is nice but at the same time it's only a small slice of what makes a character appealing. One of my favorites all time was Jaheira from BG 2 and you never saw her below the neck, all the allure was created from dialog and development. Even Bioware's queen of fanservice Miranda from Mass Effect owes much of her draw to the defrosting ice queen element in spite of the catsuit.
In Loren I absolutely loved Karen. Certainly she was drawn as an attractive mature individual and that never hurts, but it was the development of her as a character rather than the bikini top that sealed the deal. Having her personality balance of action girl, deeply wounded individual, and mature woman very aware of her sensual self made her a choice that's hard to part from. All three elements existed in harmony making her feel both real and deep.
I feel like depending on the direction that future projects take there's certainly room to create deep and competent females, both in action and dress, that are still appealing and attractive. I would hold up Liara from Mass Effect as an example.
Spoiler:
That here you have someone smart, accomplished, deep, and effective but dressed in a way that is practical without hiding the fact that she's female (or whatever you label asari as ).
The other important thing for me as a gamer is how the romance was dealt with; the two important parts were present, both lead-up and pay-off. Mass Effect created a path through the romance that relied on the dialog to create the action, but at critical point in the relationship was also able and willing to present a grown-up view of it's culmination. I like a game that can appreciate the age range I'm in and provide an experience that's on par with it. I neither expect nor desire a game to be "adult" just because I'm over 18, but on the other hand I've got enough life experience that I'm not worried about cooties. If that requires a grown-up patch version I'm fine with that.
In the end I see little conflict between where Aleema and Anima are coming from and what I would enjoy as a guy. I may want to tinker with the fade to black meter a little but beyond that I think there's much to agree on. Anyway, that's just my thoughts as a male gamer.