Winter Wolves games on digital distribution platforms (gog, humble)

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
just_an_elf
Young scout

Winter Wolves games on digital distribution platforms (gog, humble)

Post by just_an_elf »

Hello

(Beforehand: Sorry if that was already answered somewhere else.)
Just on another thought I found when I was going for Loren that only Loren seemed available on Humble and about nothing else from WinterWolves. Same on Desura. Also on GOG I found nothing. I don't know if there is an obstacle blocking entry to these platforms of sale / distribution. Or did I just miss it in the search? I like these platforms, especially gog, very much since they do support Linux and esp. GOG is DRM free. > 90% of my new gaming acquisitions are from gog or humble.
So what is keeping WW from these platforms? Surely you can sell right from your website + offering patches but it might help worldwide popularity if your games could be found on a platform like gog.
(While I honor Valve's engagement in Linux Steam still is DRM / online connection and thus more an emergency solution for me.)

Cheers
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Winter Wolves games on digital distribution platforms (gog, humble)

Post by jack1974 »

It was on Desura but I regret doing it, since they stopped paying developers since they were bought by new owner. I've asked them to remove my games but they ignore my emails, so I used a "trick" to set prices to $999 so nobody will buy them :lol: They've filed for bankruptcy so I guess they're going to shut down the site shortly.
GoG refused to sell my games with a generic "not a good fit for our platform". If you want to join a fun discussion started on GoG forums:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/winter ... _gog/page5
just_an_elf
Young scout

Post by just_an_elf »

Oh, well, I wasn't aware of that. Quite a long thread already. Well, I'll check wishlists / votings. Not much but if enough people flip a bit or byte it will count towards a larger impression.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Oddly enough, it was through Desura where I discovered Winter Wolves. I don't have a Desura account, I just happened to stumble upon looking for platforms for indie games. I ended up buying Planet Stronghold, Loren, and other WW games directly.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha good, at least that, since they owe me quite some money :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Maybe it's time to try contacting GOG again? They've started listing a fair amount of visual novels (some JAST published games also just appeared today-ish). They even have Visual Novel as a genre now.
https://www.gog.com/games?genres=visual-novel
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, though speaking with other indies, it might not even be worth it. I can't make names but except for a few ones doing a specific niche (not VN), for most of them it's like 2% of Steam sales. And Steam sales are already low in general... :lol:
So far the best thing was getting the games on consoles, though I can't do it at my own pace but go through a publisher, otherwise I'd have already put all of them there!
SerTabris
Young scout

Post by SerTabris »

I wonder if it might vary depending on whether it was already on other platforms like Itch.io or not. Personally the main reason I look for games on GOG instead of Steam is that I'd prefer to get DRM-free copies for myself, which I also get on Itch.io (so I'm glad all your stuff is available there now).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I think that's the main reason some people prefer itch.io, even some who backed me on KS wanted the copy of the game on itchio rather than Steam. I think unless itchio shuts down (unlikely) all my games will always be available DRM-Free :)