Queen Of Thieves beta 0.9.1 (release candidate)

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Queen Of Thieves beta 0.8.8 (release candidate)

Post by jack1974 »

I can try looking how much it is in the code, I don't remember if I changed that though.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

The action should be in skills.rpy, not in l_skills.rpy. At least if you're using the old action.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Code: Select all

class ParalyzedSkill(ActiveSkill):
        cName = "Paralyzed Action"
        cWait = 5
So yes is 5, and not 10. However changing it would make the game unbalanced (boss battles would become obviously MUUCH easier).
Also the parallel with Rest is not really valid, since it's true that has delay of 10, but also recover 1 SP and 1 defense, so it's not just a "wait action" that does nothing :)
Astrala
Young scout

Post by Astrala »

Um, I don't know if this has already been corrected, but the "A Dark Sensation..." message informing the player of the catacombs, misspells "catacombs" as "cacatombs".
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha no I missed this. Will fix the typo before the release :)
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

Anima_ wrote:
myoksy wrote:shouldn't it be then possible to display this in the order column on the right? the turn skipping happens without a warning
The problem is that I can't predict when the action after the next action will occur, only when the next action will happen, since the delay depends on which action is taken. Instead we use a recently weighted average to predict it. But that's pretty much an educated guess.
ah, good point. what value did you use for your guesstimate?
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

myoksy wrote:
Anima_ wrote:
myoksy wrote:shouldn't it be then possible to display this in the order column on the right? the turn skipping happens without a warning
The problem is that I can't predict when the action after the next action will occur, only when the next action will happen, since the delay depends on which action is taken. Instead we use a recently weighted average to predict it. But that's pretty much an educated guess.
ah, good point. what value did you use for your guesstimate?
I think the initial value is 10. Every time a skill is used the value is modified with that skills delay. We could use a more advanced prediction algorithm, like a n-gram predictor, but that would probably be overkill.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

Anima_ wrote:I think the initial value is 10.
nearly no one is that slow in QoT (with the exception of the mage), no wonder turn skipping is possible when the calculation uses 10 - wait is twice as fast : )
Anima_ wrote:We could use a more advanced prediction algorithm, like a n-gram predictor, but that would probably be overkill.
easyish and with better forecast results would be the delay of the base attack as initial value. this would not solve the issue for elementals (afaik they use magic bolt with 10) but for bosses with melee attacks like the mercs with a deleay of 6 a much better prediction.

I think QoT uses 3 base attacks (melee - 6, bow - 8, magic bolt - 10), those values as seed would probably represent the actual turn steps better.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I have adjusted the values, so in the final version the GUI will reflect more accurately the order (I did the change since Anima told me only impacts the GUI display, not the actual gameplay mechanics).
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

Cool, thanks a lot!