Queen Of Thieves beta 0.9.1 (release candidate)

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Queen Of Thieves beta 0.8.9 (release candidate)

Post by jack1974 »

Haha no I'm not mad at you! If seemed like so it's because the past week have been bad and I'm tired, so probably wrote that quickly without thinking :)
I think mainly the thing is that the game, having a lot of random stuff, as you said it can be very different from game to game. So in general I think it's better to stay on the safer side, and better if players have money in excess than less.
Also my point was that you can have all the money/gems you want, but you still need to be able to play the game, use the right skills, etc. And if it's too easy, you can always increase the difficulty to make it more challenging :)
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

me again. sorry.

could you take a look at the XP calculation, again? advancing is honestly more sluggish than before 0.8.1, and I just had a fine example: the mad alchemist with his monstrous dog, with a party at lvl 19 my chars were rewarded with 57 XP in total. I cannot prove it, but combats like this were in the 100+ XP region.

PS I very much like the new turn order prediction column, this works much much better now. thanks!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

When I did the XP change, I made sure that the values were the same of the 0.8.1 version (with the "old" XP calculations). However, it could be that before since the two values (battle preview and post-battle screen) were different, maybe in the previews was 79 XP, but in reality the XP awarded was more.
I can just boost the XP overall or increase single encounters XP in any case. If you feel that in general advancing takes more, better an overall XP boost :)
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

jack1974 wrote:When I did the XP change, I made sure that the values were the same of the 0.8.1 version (with the "old" XP calculations).
you mean 0.8.0?
change log 0.8.1 wrote:the XP on the end screen also matches the one in the pre-battle screen (before they could be different! :lol:)
jack1974 wrote:maybe in the previews was 79 XP, but in reality the XP awarded was more.
this was my _first_ suspicion : P but alas, no. I used my trusty pocket calculator to compare before and after and your GUI did not lie
jack1974 wrote:I can just boost the XP overall or increase single encounters XP in any case. If you feel that in general advancing takes more, better an overall XP boost :)
I am honestly not sure if this is a good idea. the pacing was fine and it could be better to take a look at the code changes to identify the cause.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I mean 0.8.0, basically the last version to use the old XP calculation.
I don't have the exact code I was using before, but the thing is that probably the enemy level (which is not shown to players) had more weight than it's now. In practice something like:
EnemyA at level 5=50XP
EnemyA at level 6=60XP
etc, while now is lower, like EnemyA at level 7=55XP or something.

HOWEVER, I agree that changing the overal XP calculation now is a bit risky, unless more people tell me that now is too slow. I can increase the XP for that single encounter (the giant beast in practice) though, if you feel the reward is too small?
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

more opinions would be extremly welcome, but the few times I asked in my posts no one was willing to chip in.

as case in point: without dilly-dallying I currently own 96000 gold at level 20 - _after_ I paid the 25000 to open the next story dungeon. this cannot be explained anymore by more or less luck with gem drops. but 30 % (or something) lowered XP are a plausible explanation approach.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Now that I think about it, a good way to measure it is to try doing the catacombs, since I designed them so that you could ALMOST do each level one after the other. My intention was that (except maybe the first 2 levels), you would level up almost to the required level, so you had to do the missions for a bit, and then get back to the catacombs.
Anyway, I made some tests and on next update I think I can safely increase the XP (based on enemy level, so it increases more as the party gain levels) by a little. The current formula is:

Code: Select all

self.cExp=int(self.cExp+(self.cExp*self.level/40))
I changed the 40 to 38 and at level 10 the difference was only 13XP (so about 4XP each sister). Of course during all the battles it adds up, but I think it's a safe change to do :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Do you remember what level you were when you did the mad alchemist scene? I just stumbled in one myself, and with party at level 26 I get 127XP (without doing any tweak). If you were lower level, then the issue could be XP scaling as enemies have higher levels then.
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

I was at level 19, and got 57 XP in total - and I am nearly sure that the alchemist with his lap dog was worth about 100 around this character level (the few military mansions I visited were always around lvl 18 to 22 or so).

another thing, this time a story contingency bump: when fighting Jana (or so, the former aide of the general) the dungeon ends without the party searching for clues. coming home the father directly asks about the letter.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK will do an update tomorrow with a bit more XP, since I don't think will hurt anyway. Regarding Jana I think I fixed that (I noticed it myself while testing) but will take a look to be sure.