Roadmap to beta

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
pahldus
Woods ranger

Re: Roadmap to beta

Post by pahldus »

I am going to step in on the side of the author here, I have heard it said both ways and considering the setting of the game and what I know about who is speaking, I think this fits the speaker better. If Kira were speaking I would agree with you, Franka.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

I will have to agree with Franka on this; for simple put British and American sayings are: 'Stay at home', so it will come a bit off for native English speakers, though I must concur that both are grammatically correct. The seemingly normal way seems to be the truncated version; expediency mate! ^_^
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Pace675 wrote:I will have to agree with Franka on this; for simple put British and American sayings are: 'Stay at home',
Bit presumptuous to speak for two nations, especially since the writer is a native English speaker. Both are perfectly correct but it can be changed if the majority of testers think it should be.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

<3 Lived in both, you are the writer so it your story to tell, and I am not your editor! XD Lol I just want to play this lovely master piece....as soon as humanly possible!
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Thee Forsaken One wrote:
Pace675 wrote:I will have to agree with Franka on this; for simple put British and American sayings are: 'Stay at home',
Bit presumptuous to speak for two nations, especially since the writer is a native English speaker. Both are perfectly correct but it can be changed if the majority of testers think it should be.
Let's get more context during the beta. It's not the most used phrasing, but it's also not uncommon for characters to have particular speech styles and habits that are difficult to convey in a single screenshot.
SerTabris
Young scout

Post by SerTabris »

In my experience, "in the home" is something I've seen used only in the particular context of discussing gender roles like this.
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

Pace675 wrote:I will have to agree with Franka on this; for simple put British and American sayings are: 'Stay at home', so it will come a bit off for native English speakers,
Well I am a born and bred American, I am quite familiar with both ways of saying it, and how it is said is more a matter of how the speaker communicates. In the home is more likely to be said by an educated person, but at home is definitely the more commonly used form.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

This discussion is pretty comical if we consider how sentences end up when Jack writes them. If we took the proofreading of his works anywhere near this level, he would still be correcting SotW.

(Celso, why do you call yourself Jack anyway?)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes exactly, is a bit fun to discuss about this when every sentence I write in forums (and not just here) are full of grammar errors :lol:

About the jack thing is a nickname that got at my previous daily job, and somehow carried over internet and then stick with it :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I'm not an authority on the English language. When I see something that looks wrong compared to my existing knowledge, I point it out though. When the writer says it's correct, I accept that. No need to go any further than that.