Attack, crit and intuitiveness

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Attack, crit and intuitiveness

Post by jack1974 »

So I moved the "foot" icon below, and I'll display speed there. However I am not unsure what icon to use for the "Evasion/Dodge" etc stat ? :|
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've added a running man shape and seems to work for now. Maybe I'll replace it before release :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think I might upload another alpha demo (just the combats) to get some feedback, since now that have 7 main stats in combat, it is a bit weird to have only 6 attributes. Ideally I should have 7 (like adding dexterity that would influence the evasion value) or either speed or value be fixed and possible to change only through items/skills.
I prefer the second solution since it's easier, and besides so far the character speed didn't had much impact in this game, the way it was designed. So the idea is to have Agility influence the evasion, and speed be fixed/depending on the class (Warrior slower than Mage who is slower than Thief).
This way I could design some potions or skill that influence speed have really more impact, since right now it's minimal :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Well, two comments. Since you brought up icons, I'm not sure the crit icon is very indicative since the numbers cover the crosshair. The others you can kinda use the shape for, or in the case of SP, the color.

Perhaps increasing speed isn't so impactful when it comes to squeezing out more actions, but getting to act first can be crucial. I wouldn't want to lose the option to build for that.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Are you suggesting I should add a 7th attribute??? :shock:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

That's your own suggestion. I don't mind the system as it is :P I haven't done the maths but I would imagine defense is better for... defense, than evasion is, and you already said speed doesn't help much, so it's not like agility is a super stat.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So having agility influence both speed and evasion. OK I'll try to build a playable alpha with that and see. I need to try putting all the point into speed for Thalia and see what happens (probably she'll be so weak that won't be a good idea anyway :lol:)

edit: I even thought to just group speed and evasion and have just a single stat...
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

You could. It'd still be one stat doing two things, but crit is like that too.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'll try that, also makes sense, a fast character is harder to hit. A slower one is easier. So it's not like it's something uncommon/weird :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

After some tests I think I found a good balance :) The main problem was that before I was using 100% hit as starting base, then comparing target Evasion/Speed with attacker Critical Hit. The fact is that the speed values are usually lower, so you would always hit :lol:
So now I am using as base 75% hit. Which means that the following happens with a target having Speed of 10:
Attacker with 15 Critical Hit= 80% hit chance
Attacker with 5 Critical Hit= 70% hit chance
etc. I tried with the existing values and it seem balanced, also because even if you miss, 50% of damage still counts. And Joanne suddenly is much more powerful with her always hit magic bolts :wink: