More personal skill trees

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: More personal skill trees

Post by jack1974 »

yayswords wrote:I was hoping for others to comment on these too, including Forsaken :)

BTW, what's the hex for Joanne's text? I don't suppose I guessed it right lol. Thalia is just plain black, yeah?
She is busy working :wink: will tell her to check the forums.
You mean Thalia, Joanne is red, Thalia is black.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Let's try that again :)

Thalia=#000000
Joanne=#??????
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ok the actual color codes are:
Thalia=#302421
Kira=#416331
Joanne=#BE4A40
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

yayswords wrote:With all the previews posted, I've had enough inspiration to come up with a few more drafts. I noticed when I was done that I'd barely bothered to personalize the skill descriptions, partly 'cause improving the language and formatting took time enough :P
I quite like them although Thalia would never beg not to get a lecture. She would just tell Joanne not to give her a lecture. Outside of that, I think they're pretty good. Kira can wreak havoc without being drunk, though. :P
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Jaeger wrote:Some flavor text could use the exclamation mark(!), particular when a character is shouting or giving orders.
I agree it could be used, but I think each of them could be said in a less shouty tone too. I'm guessing you're talking about Kira's, so we'll have to see how inclined she is towards shouting her commands.

Still a nuance question though, I was more of thinking of replies like stop doing this you idiot, you're making them worse :P but I guess that sort of feedback has already been given once.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I like the concept and some of them are amusing (the law enforcement ones are phrased a little odd?), but I wish there was a better way to include them in the game. The UI looks a bit cluttered with so much text in all those different colors. Especially the skills that require two lines for an explanation.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

(the law enforcement ones are phrased a little odd?)
Originally I phrased them as "Law enforcement by sober/drunken Kira", but I found I liked the comma better.
The UI looks a bit cluttered
Had me thinking, what if we had a story button for each skill? An optional read, accessible only in your skill tree and not getting in the way in combat. Could fit a much larger description into that. Although it will probably set the scene for endless cases of things like:

This is Joanne's favorite spell, one she has practiced to perfection and could cast effortlessly, even while harassed by Thalia.

But mechanically, she hasn't learned it because you haven't spent the skill point trolol.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes perhaps doing is as optional story/flavor text (like the "Lore" button on SOTW equipment) would be better, and keep the original skill description as they are now, with the effect description. So people who don't know what Burning does, see it directly in the skill description, and don't need to look elsewhere.
Yaysword, send me an email with only the flavor texts for each skill, I think will do that :) I'll also send them to Forsaken for final check/editing, since she knows better what each sister would say/do.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yaysword, send me an email with only the flavor texts for each skill
I haven't written flavor texts for more skills than those I've posted. There's only so much inspiration I can derive from the character intros. Let this build up as we go through beta :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sure, there's time to add it later :)