About the outfits...

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

About the outfits...

Post by jack1974 »

I just noticed that certain outfit combos have some small "art glitches".
For example this weapon/feet/pants combo looks good:

this instead is bad:

similarly, this head/top/weapon combo looks very cute (Thalia Robin Hood version!):

and this clearly bad:

now, except for the hair going out from the head in the last image, I don't plan to fix the other mistakes. Not because I don't want of course :) but because is almost impossible, and a problem of having "paperdolls" images in 2d games.
Why? simple explanation: each character has 5 slots. Four are the armors, with 5 variants each. The fifth is the weapon, with 7 different variants.
Now I'm definitely not a math expert but I believe the total possible combos are: 5 ^ 5 ^ 7 = ehm I don't know :lol: but even just using multiplication (which I believe is wrong, hopefully someone can correct me) it would be 5 x 5 x 7 = 175 (but as I said, the real number is much higher I think).

So as you can see it's impossible both for me and for artist to take into account 175 different combos!! For Loren 2 that won't happen since each class has much fewer outfits and weapons (I'm talking about purely cosmetic changes, Loren won't have limited items like this game.. I think!). But for this game I wanted to offer a very high character customization.
Also, even if I took notes of the wrong combo, it would still be actually impossible to fix it, because the code already gives me an headache as it is. Just an example of a character:

Code: Select all

image p_Thalia = LiveComposite( (512,1024), (0,0),"gfx/party/thalia.png",
        (166,410), ConditionSwitch( "thalia_pants==0", "gfx/blank.png", "thalia_pants==1","gfx/party/thalia_pants1.png", "thalia_pants==2","gfx/party/thalia_pants2.png", "thalia_pants==3","gfx/party/thalia_pants3.png", "thalia_pants==4","gfx/party/thalia_pants4.png", "thalia_pants==5","gfx/party/thalia_pants5.png"),
        (188,762), ConditionSwitch( "thalia_feet==0", "gfx/blank.png", "thalia_feet==1","gfx/party/thalia_feet1.png", "thalia_feet==2","gfx/party/thalia_feet2.png", "thalia_feet==3","gfx/party/thalia_feet3.png", "thalia_feet==4","gfx/party/thalia_feet4.png", "thalia_feet==5","gfx/party/thalia_feet5.png", "thalia_feet==99","gfx/party/thalia_socks.png"),
        (133,173), ConditionSwitch( "thalia_top==0", "gfx/blank.png", "thalia_top==1","gfx/party/thalia_top1.png", "thalia_top==2","gfx/party/thalia_top2.png", "thalia_top==3","gfx/party/thalia_top3.png", "thalia_top==4","gfx/party/thalia_top4.png", "thalia_top==5","gfx/party/thalia_top5.png"),
        (15,131), ConditionSwitch( "thalia_weapon==0", "gfx/blank.png", "thalia_weapon==1","gfx/party/thalia_weapon1.png", "thalia_weapon==2","gfx/party/thalia_weapon2.png", "thalia_weapon==3","gfx/party/thalia_weapon3.png", "thalia_weapon==4","gfx/party/thalia_weapon4.png", "thalia_weapon==5","gfx/party/thalia_weapon5.png", "thalia_weapon==6","gfx/party/thalia_weapon6.png", "thalia_weapon==7","gfx/party/thalia_weapon7.png"),
        (235,97), "gfx/party/thalia_normal.png",
        (148,0), ConditionSwitch( "thalia_hat==0", "gfx/blank.png", "thalia_hat==1","gfx/party/thalia_hat1.png", "thalia_hat==2","gfx/party/thalia_hat2.png", "thalia_hat==3","gfx/party/thalia_hat3.png", "thalia_hat==4","gfx/party/thalia_hat4.png", "thalia_hat==5","gfx/party/thalia_hat5.png"),
        )
ROFL, as you can see, trying to add even another custom condition would be nuts! And Renpy is actually very good and simple to use...
So unfortunately that is the trade-off of having a super-character customization :(
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Re: About the outfits...

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

So long as it isn't layering issues then I don't see what's wrong. Let people make horrible clashing outfits. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's exactly layering issues :) but I guess if people can't notice in the screens above (which are zoomed in) it should be not too bad...
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

The hair one probably needs fixed but the clipping one isn't too bad.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I'll surely fix the hair since that is too much, but the clipping with some other outfits, in particular pants/shoes is noticeable in Kira's outfit. Anyway, not much can be done about that :oops:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I thought you multiply the combinations so 175 is right? Should be easier than balancing all the SotW skill combinations.

I don't think bad fashion is an issue, just the clipping. Also, the leg view has dismembered legs floating in midair which looks kind of weird.
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Troyen wrote:Also, the leg view has dismembered legs floating in midair which looks kind of weird.
That's a clipping because of the viewport. If you look at the full view, the feather on Thalia's hat is clipped at the top. Her body is still there, you just can't see it because of the viewport.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Right, I'm wondering if there's a way to have the picture continue under the bars at the top, but maybe at a faded level so it doesn't interfere too much with the UI.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

No Thalia, a diaper doesn't go on the head!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote:Right, I'm wondering if there's a way to have the picture continue under the bars at the top, but maybe at a faded level so it doesn't interfere too much with the UI.
Yes I can do that, I tried adding a frame with a border around but was looking worse! You can still see the fullbody character, I just zoom in because thought was cool to see :)

I'm not sure if when you say clipping we mean the same thing. I mean when you combine two layers that leave parts of previous outfit/item visible.
Here's a more noticeable thing with Kira's outfit, the pants cover her foot. But if I try the opposite, it's even worse in another outfit :mrgreen:
zoomed in, is quite bad :(