a new name ?

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
jack1974
Pack leader

a new name ?

Post by jack1974 »

So with Planet Stronghold 2 done (by done I mean that my work is done until I get the texts back from editor) I will resume working on Volleyball Heaven and also this game.
I am planning a Kickstarter for it, since it's yet another huge game (and thinking about it now I was nuts to do PS2 all on my own without some funding first) but there's still an issue: the name.

"Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers" sounds cool, however since now you can play also as male main character Ace, maybe would be better to change the name to reflect this? If you have any ideas or comments, they're welcome :) thanks
fleetp
Druid

Re: a new name ?

Post by fleetp »

Is Lily still in the game as a 'main' character if one chooses to play as Ace? If so, I'd recommend keeping the name. Your fans already know you have Undead Lily in development.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes in practice the one you don't pick becomes your nemesis/main antagonist :)
That's a good point, keeping the same name I've been using to talk about it for years, even if you can actually play as another character.
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

I think it's better to change it, your fans will know the name change because they are following you and they will see every games that you will release, but most people who aren't following you will judge your game by its....cover, if someone( who is into BxG or BxB) is browsing VN on steam and see a "thumbnail" with Lily and Ace on it with the title "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers", they will think that it is an otome game and just skip it, they won't even read the description, that title and "thumbnail" is your first impression, why would people click on it if they think the game isn't for them, they have hundred of other games look at, they won't read every description to see if a game they suspect to be otome has BxG or BxB option

Also, I'm don't think it's going to be a problem because your an indies dev but.....in my experience with big popular games, doing something like that would make people think that Lily as canon and make people who prefer Ace feel like there experience is less...valid and in big game it's the type of thing that can lead to toxic behaviour on the internet
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, simply existing can lead to toxic behavior on internet :lol:
Jokes apart yes I know that putting only one name if there are two protagonists is bad. Loren was called like that because you were playing as sidekick. Season of the wolf was about the journey, Cursed Lands about the situation, etc.

I'll need to think about a new name but not sure yet, isn't easy :(
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

What about the conflict in this one, you are choosing a side in a war of law vs chao.
Last edited by Exizel on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes true, order and chaos, that could be a good inspiration for the name.
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

I would give it the name of a Tale.

"The Tale of Lili's and Ace's battle for balance" or something like this.

It will give you a nudge to replay it as the other hero with the opposite faction (Chaos/order) to experience both sides :-)
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I might include both names, or also use the story as inspiration and name it "The Curse Of ..." since basically the protagonists find themselves cursed in that limbo with no apparent way to escape :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

You are going to run a Kickstarter campaign? I'm somewhat surprised considering you were wary about crowdfunding in the past.