development thread

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
Jaeger
Druid

Re: development thread

Post by Jaeger »

It looks like a common daisy. They do have medicinal uses, so the healing ability seems fitting.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In theory there should be a sort of face in the flower but you don't see it well unless it's zoomed in :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I see the face. It's making me think of the talking flowers in Alice in Wonderland. Anyways, I'm still having a hard time trying to come up with an alternative name.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Flower of Life (changes the meaning), Flower of Health, Nourishing Flower, Rejuvenating Flower, Radiant Flower...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK I made my mind: it will be called "Smug face flower" :lol:
Jokes aside, I like Flower Of Life, probably going to use that! thanks
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I deleted a previous post since I was angry and tired. Yes I'm facing a lot of issues but I will simply need to adapt the cards to the framework limits, rather than having full freedom.
The main issue is with spell cards (that's why in PSCD the CPU didn't have many). Worse case I'll repeat that :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

new deck screen, I think maybe I'll also add a filtering by element.
I am thinking of going with opposite element attack bonuses: air creature deals x2 damage to earth ones, etc. But maybe x2 is too much, so I'll do like +1 damage or something.
Early tests on spells made obvious that it's not possible for the spells, otherwise they become too powerful :mrgreen: so if I add this will be creatures only.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The more complex the game, the more chances of bugs :)
This one I found completely randomly, and it's hilarious: in the map before each battle you see a preview of the card rewards. If are creatures, you could upgrade them, even if they weren't yet yours (collected) :lol:
Not a big deal in the end, since the AI uses a separate upgrade system, but still was funny to see.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So today I'm stuck again lol.
I wanted to code a function to automatically add spells based on the correct alignment (since depending order/chaos you'll face the opposite heroes in some fights). It turned out to be basically impossible, I thought was working then at one point it crashed with a mysterious "card already in hand" exception :lol:

I definitely can't risk anything anymore so probably the enemies won't even use spells at this point... I can't surely code 60+ battles with two variants depending if you're order/chaos (would be 120 fights and it's just insane). At this point I just need to find a way to get out of this hell alive and with a working game :lol: A pity since I had a ton of ideas, and I'll implement maybe 5% of them. But c'est la vie...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

more progress, but also where I'm currently stuck :lol:
The enemy heroes spells needs to be custom made (even if are same as the player can use) because they use "select card..." aim condition, so even if the AI plays them you would see the text "choose target for spell X". Allowing the player to choose which targets the AI should hit with spells seems excessive :mrgreen: