development thread

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
jack1974
Pack leader

development thread

Post by jack1974 »

An update lol since last post is of 2 years ago! As you all know I'm now working on Planet Stronghold 2, and then I'll do Loren 2 since it's about time.
However, I think I'll also work on this game on and off. I explain better: the writer already wrote a good chunk of the story. I asked some beta reader to read it. Apart some obvious negative comments (because there are ALWAYS those :lol:) in general people liked it.

My main issue was that albeit good writing IMHO, there was too much for someone who wanted to play a card game. If you noticed, in my RPG I usually have a battle within the first 10-15 minutes of reading the story. I think it's important because not everyone wants to read, some people might be interested more in the gameplay.

Anyway, I recently saw some reviews of PSCD as well, saying that the VN part felt disconnected, and/or that they wish they could play the card game straight (you can with quick play but it's not the "Campaign") etc etc. It seems obvious to me that I needed to do things differently this time.

So I thought to do it like this: a SHORT introduction of the game world, and then I'll have the usual campaign, map, encounter/game progression (I have several ideas about this but it's too early to talk about it) AND a SEPARATE VN part. It will need some rewrite of the story but I think for the final game it's the best solution. People who are interested only in the gameplay will be able to jump straight in (there will be some plot scenes but not as long as in the VN part). On the other hand, people who are interested mostly in the VN part can just play the game in VN Mode and skip all the card gameplay.

I think it's the best solution in this case also because sometimes making the plot match the gameplay when I'm not writing myself the game is hard. But on the other hand if someone else writes it, the quality might be higher and it's of course faster to make progress.

That's all for now!
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: development thread

Post by Franka »

YAY, CAAAAARDD GAAAAAMMMEEEEE!!!!!!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha. I'll try my best, even if I'll need to do several tests/experiments first like I did for PSCD :)
ElfenLied
Young scout

Post by ElfenLied »

As a huuuuuge fan of both card games and Yuri (for 7 years I've been the admin of a Yuri community, therefore it's a piece of my life) I couldn't hear a better news. Already wishlisted it, oh wait I cannot wishlist it, yet!!!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh unfortunately I think won't be ready before 2 years or so. Still about halfway with PS2 and have yet to start coding Loren 2... that is a lot of work! :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I have started working on this "full time". Of course when PS2 full beta finally begins I'll have to pause this, but in the meanwhile making good progress.
I decided to not have the card/VN part separated, but I made it in a way so that you can play it at your own pace and/or skip whole scenes entirely (for those who don't like to read).

Did some preliminary work so far, and from early test I think I'm giving up the idea of not having a deck, since part of the fun is indeed building decks (besides if you can summon all aquired cards anytime during the match as long as you have the resources, it's going to make the game too easy).

This week I'll finish implementing all the beautiful backgrounds who have many animated elements:
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

Hey! I saw you post a new screenshot about this on twitter.

https://twitter.com/WinterwolvesG/statu ... 3386603521

Will there be a new and updated summary about what the game is about, characters, description, gameplay, love interests and so on?
It looks awesome. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well as you can see, it is a card game :) Will be like PSCD (so romance+optional card battles) but with several differences/improvements like creatures having an armor value, etc. About the story, I don't want to reveal too much yet, also because we're at the very beginning of development, so I'm doing some tests/experiment both in gameplay and also story and I don't want to say anything until I made my mind :) But will post updates here and in the blog as I make progresses of course.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I was starting to do some preliminary work on the CPU AI and... lol
The way the framework was designed is impossible (at least for my limited skills!) to add new features as I would like. I mean, I can add them for players, but the CPU will be super dumb.
There are new cool cards like: destroy your unit and deal its damage to all enemies, and the CPU should pick a unit with high damage and also check if there are enemies but in practice this won't always happen.
But it's either this or I give up, so I'd rather finish a game with a bit dumb AI. I'll think the battles should still be moderately difficult.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So after a few days working on this I feel already sick haha

I thought I could control burn out, but seems not. It's not like "well I can wait"... I already waited 10 months after I finished PS2 and as soon as I need to work on complex stuff, I feel bad again. So I think it's something persistent or not going away soon anyway.

I want to get this game out if only to avoid losing all that beautiful art, but I am not sure what I could do with it. I have planned all the characters backstories, but there would be no interaction between them, and I don't know if players would like that or not.

In practice, each character would tell their story as narrators. Then there would be the romance scenes. In the middle, the battles. But I fear of working again 6-8 months on something that will give bad results like PS2 and I really cannot afford it mentally :oops: