which combat system?

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"

which combat system?

classic party based RPG (like Loren)
62%
pokemon style (maybe 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3)
27%
ATB (Active Time Battle) like Final Fantasy
10%
other (please explain)
1%

Total votes: 127

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: which combat system?

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's true, but still in a tactical RPG with a map, unless the enemy defends only, there are several things to code, like a pathfinding algorithm, etc :) unless the maps are very crowded like Banner Saga for example.
grey_duck
Young scout

Post by grey_duck »

I realize this is an extremely old thread, and I have no idea where you are on Undead Lily these days, but I'd just like to say that in either a Pokemon or ATB system, or any system really (or any game you make ever [or any game anyone makes]) it would be awesome to allow combos, Chrono Trigger style.

Of course, looking at some of the other threads, there's already a creature/skill overload, so this might not be the right game for combos, but it would be pretty sweet to do a water-life attack or a fire-air attack. (Or, y'know, get to Loren 2 and have Elenor and Chambara team up to fire a volley of arrows infused with dark magic.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes combos are cool, I need to refresh my memory how it worked on chrono trigger though :)
grey_duck
Young scout

Post by grey_duck »

Short version: each character had an action bar that slowly filled, and they could act when it was full, or you could wait til more than one character had full bars and do a combo. The first two Penny Arcade/Rain-slick Precipice games had a similar system.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes now I remember. That is interesting indeed :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I'm not too crazy about ATB system as a whole, but I did like Chrono Trigger's combat compared to most of its ilk. Besides the afroementioned double/triple techs, what I like the most about it was how the enemy encounters were designed. Enemies can move around the field, changing the effectiveness of certain AOE skills. Both regular mobs and bosses have a few quirks to watch out for or exploit.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Adding a battlefield is probably the biggest task and I think also the feature that would make the battles very different. Maybe one day :)
Ragnus
Young scout

Post by Ragnus »

Same I don't really like ATB mode. I never played chrono trigger on the snes since it wasn't released here but on the pc version you can choose wait mode and it at least pauses once you are in the skill menu to select or spell or ability or whatever.
I guess pokemon style sounds the most interesting to me.
Classic party would also be ok, but most of your games are and maybe something a little bit different would be nice.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm going to lock this thread since I made my mind to try using a card system similar to PSCD so makes no sense to keep the poll active since it's outdated :)