Undead Lily gameplay ?

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Undead Lily gameplay ?

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course, but I could have avoided hurrying up some projects, in particular the "non-standard" ones, since I lost a good amount of time and money doing so. I could have probably made 2 more games with the money I lost so far... :shock: and it's all my fault only since I rushed thing, when I should have said "stop. Let's think about the next thing to do!".
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

AS you said learning experience, and I am sure your next release will be epic!
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

Franka wrote: In a perfect world, I would take an Undead Lily VN and an Undead Lily card game, and the two would never have to meet. But I'm saying that since I have great interest in a card game, and very little interest in the VN as it is currently outlined - thereby proving you right, except I'd buy it and "live with" (hopefully be pleasantly surprised by) the VN if I could have the card game.

This game has really been up and down for me, I was interested in the game as a weirded out super hero game, then it looked like it was going in some other direction and I lost interest, then there was a card game and everything was great (!), now there's not and I lost interest again. :lol:
Well, that's you. I'm here for the story (with some choices, like romance and/or story options), together with fun gameplay elements (that are not too stressful, like turn-based/stat sim). This is one thing special about Jack's visual novels (games, really), that makes it different from the standard kinetic novels or just another game-play game (of which I have 50+ on my purchase backlog). Japanese kinetic VNs can hold higher appeal, because of the unique voice acting.

Jack can do anything he wishes, as it's his game. But, Jack needs to fully tell what's the final outcome (when a decision is made)! Whether it will be 90% gameplay, 90% story, or 50% story and gameplay mixed. So, that we know what we are getting. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes depends on tastes. Though it's true that there's a flood of VN recently on Steam, so it's harder to stand out. On the other hand, making a game a VN is MUUUCH easier, so there's also that to take into account :)
For now I'll wait to get more feedback from all the beta readers, there has been some interesting comments already about the story pacing, etc :)
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

jack1974 wrote:Yes depends on tastes. Though it's true that there's a flood of VN recently on Steam, so it's harder to stand out. On the other hand, making a game a VN is MUUUCH easier, so there's also that to take into account :)
For now I'll wait to get more feedback from all the beta readers, there has been some interesting comments already about the story pacing, etc :)
Very understandable! :)

As I felt, it would be a good idea in my opinion, to stick to your original plans that you talked about for this game in the previous year, since you've got everything designed fully. So that it's not so messy, changing so many things. Then next time, on a completely new game, then you execute new ideas from the ground up, like game-play only ..etc..

But since you prefer to be cautious, then I think you should go for what you've already done the most work for. Say, for example, you've got most of the writing and artwork (for the writing) done, then you should just make it story-based, with a very, very simple gameplay component, like stat-raising/puzzle or something.

If you have all the artwork for all the characters and strategy design stuff done, but not much writing, then you can scrap story if you like, and make it majorly gameplay, with a simpler story thrown in, for example.

Otherwise, it feels like a bit of a waste to throw away all the work you did. :give_rose:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The artwork is OK, so that wouldn't be thrown away for sure. Even if was a RPG, the same art that I'd have used for cards would still be good.
As for the writing, something could be saved as well. But the thing is, considering I am about to release THREE new games (lol) I really don't need to hurry. Better think carefully what to do with it.
The same writer can continue working on Roger Steel in the meanwhile, so that game plot will get finished too :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I started to brainstorm the new gameplay. It actually won't be really far off a card game, albeit different.
It's all work in progress, so everything could change. But the current idea is to start with a bunch of low-level avatars, and then have a big map with 6 regions (one for each element) and fight battles on it. As you fight battles, you'll unlock some new avatars that you can use in your battles too.
As you conquer map pieces, you gain resources, that you can use to power up your avatars (in any order).
It's actually similar to one of my first games (Magic Stones) but in this case each avatar will also have some "skill". So a sort of pokemon/RPG hybrid. I think could turn out well :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

the new "world map" sketch. The ideas are flowing my friends. This game is going to KICK ASSES 8)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Specifically, five of them?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No, all 10!