Undead work in progress....

An afterlife RPG / strategy / dating sim
Post Reply
User avatar
pysali
Young scout
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by pysali » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I don't know SpectralTime. While you'd have more control in manual creation there's a better chance of getting more variety and a bigger skill chance in the quiz. In the manual you'd probably not be able to go below 10 whereas in the quiz you could have one or two skills you don't care about go below 10 like say Strength and get the corresponding Int to 12 from a decision, giving you a chance to use your points where you want them (more overall points even if many of them are to chance) for a higher gain in intelligence because you have more in there. There'd still totally be a chance that you might have to use precious manual points to bring a skill up (if you're not a filthy cheater like me using the scroll wheel to backtrack) to a more reasonable level, but there's a lot of potential for getting a good extra boost to a skill you really want via the quiz. Plus maybe an awesome whip of awesome or something to sweeten the deal. :D

Either way I really liked your idea of here's X number of points, you can get more if you do the shiny awesome quiz.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14692
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by jack1974 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:19 pm

pysali wrote:if you're not a filthy cheater like me using the scroll wheel to backtrack
Unless I disable that during the quiz! :twisted: (evil laugh) - I am joking!
pysali wrote: Either way I really liked your idea of here's X number of points, you can get more if you do the shiny awesome quiz.
Cool, I liked doing it for Spirited Heart but was unsure if people liked it or saw it just as an annoyance!

User avatar
pysali
Young scout
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by pysali » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:28 pm

In Spirited Heart I used it the first two times, but I was really happy to have the ability to quick create the third playthrough (I like to get all the romances). I'll probably do the same thing here. The first time take the quiz and get the bonus weapon and the second time do quick creation and start with the more even Lily/no bonus weapon. Sometimes I just like to skip right to the meat of the game (and I had the nasty annoyance once of spending half an hour making Shepard in ME2 and then having my X-box freeze and crash during a part of the required opening that doesn't allow you to save. It was very :( frustrating).

Also don't take my scroll feature away! That's how I get the pretty characters to like my avatar! Otherwise I always say something stupid to them!

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14692
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by jack1974 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Yes even if in theory you can just play it two times, to get the good/evil version and then save, and use that point as base to pursue both the good and evil paths :) And no won't take the scroll back feature away don't worry 8)

Moussey
Young scout
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:02 am

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by Moussey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Why include an added advantage to the quiz? I thought the point of the quiz was to help indecisive players who don't know how alignment and stats will fit into the gameplay decide on a general play style. I see it as a helpful tool for newbies and first time players who aren't sure on what works better for them, not as extra work that deserves an added bonus. It wouldn't be fair to sort of penalize the players who don't need or want to use that tool to help them build their character.

I think you need one more option on the title screen there. You can have one for the test to help players decide on a character, one that allows players to customize their character manually, and one with a quick start for those who want to get into the game quicker. This is good for different people's playstyles, I think.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14692
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by jack1974 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:13 am

Moussey wrote:Why include an added advantage to the quiz? I thought the point of the quiz was to help indecisive players who don't know how alignment and stats will fit into the gameplay decide on a general play style. I see it as a helpful tool for newbies and first time players who aren't sure on what works better for them, not as extra work that deserves an added bonus. It wouldn't be fair to sort of penalize the players who don't need or want to use that tool to help them build their character.
Well it could be that you can choose a weapon if you do manually, and the quiz picks one for you. I am not sure yet how the weapons will impact in the game so for now I won't assign any item.
Moussey wrote: I think you need one more option on the title screen there. You can have one for the test to help players decide on a character, one that allows players to customize their character manually, and one with a quick start for those who want to get into the game quicker. This is good for different people's playstyles, I think.
You mean like "randomize character and play"? if you don't want to manually pick/adjust the attributes the only way is randomize 8)

Moussey
Young scout
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:02 am

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by Moussey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 pm

I was thinking like it would be 10 across the board, just like you mentioned earlier. That's generally a good start.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14692
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by jack1974 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:10 am

Ah ok understood now :)

deathknight1728
Woods ranger
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by deathknight1728 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm

This is very interesting though the question is exactly how much of a rpg is this game? It says the game is an afterlife, dating sim, rpg. While that would sound great, is it more comparable to ask if this is more like PS, Loren, or more like Bionic Heart. I would say if its got a story and plays out like a rpg but with some dating sim features, I'll give it a shot. After all, it sounds promising.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14692
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by jack1974 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I put the game on hiatus though I might pick up this year again. The idea is to have some sort of RPG combat but different, like 1 vs 1 tag-team, or something else. I still need a bit of time to design the gameplay / combat :)

Post Reply