Undead work in progress....

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Re: Undead work in progress....

Post by SpectralTime »

Perhaps you could, after we take the quiz, offer the option of speccing ourselves out manually if we so choose? Except you've got potentially fewer points to choose from in that case, creating some incentive to go through with it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I can have a "review your hero/stats" final screen, and in the beginning offer the option to skip the quiz. I am not sure yet how long it will be, but some people for Spirited Heart asked the option to skip the character creation phase completely, while others loved it :)
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

I meant more like: here, if you skip it, you can get some points, but the potential points you could have if you take it are higher than the ones you manually slot in.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, I could do that as reward indeed, otherwise most people would just skip it. Must think about making it interesting/long enough now :)
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

That would be an interesting addition. If people who do the quiz can have up to 15-20 points of stat changes and the ability to review their final character versus skipping creation and only having a base pool of smaller points to apply to your Lily's stats.

You can even make it so that there are chances of larger changes if you do the quiz versus skip it. So say hypothetically Lily starts with all her stats at 20 across the board. If you do the quiz depending on your answer some of her stats might dip below 20 (but in equal amounts so she could lose 2 intelligence, but gain 2 combat skill) and then at the end the player can review her and change a certain amount of points worth of stats (so they could take a few points out of several other skills and boost her combat even further), but if they skip the quiz/creation none of her stats can dip below the base score so there's less customization.

I dunno. It shouldn't be a punishment if someone just wants to quick start or doesn't like quizzes, but there should be some incentive to want to take the quiz/customize Lily.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think the possibility to get different starting stats should be a good incentive indeed, and since the overall points you get would be the same, nobody could complain. In practice they would get an extra customization possible (like a stronger / quicker character at start of game) based on their answers, or just skip it and go straight into the game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's taking shape... :) of course will need to have someone review all the texts since differently from the main game plot, I'm writing the quiz myself :oops:
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

I like it and you can even add in 'fun' options if you wanted like 'you've completed the quiz and we suggest your Lily is Evil. Would you like to keep this or change her to Good?" Just because someone picked the more bastard choices doesn't mean they might not still want to do 'good'. They just might be a bit extremist in their approach is all especially if they chose the more neutrally evil answers as opposed to the flat out mean/vindictive/evil ones.

Or if you do quick creation you start with certain weapons (generic stat whip or dagger for evil, mace or sword for good or something) but if you do the quiz you can choose from a pool of weapons to better reflect the feel of your Lily and have it compliment the stat choices chosen. Agility whip or strength mace. I assume Dexterity is chance to hit and Agility dodging and how fast you are? Or am I completely backwards? I get endurance is pretty much constitution/hit points and the others are self explanatory.

Your dialog works well. You missed a the at one point. 'If you skip it, you will start with the same amount of attribute points, but you won't be able to customize your character as fully as you can by taking the quiz.' I'm not super awesome great at grammar though so I'm sure someone can find flaws in what I just wrote.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I was planning to have some unique object available in the quiz, though not extremely powerful :)
About the stats:
STR="Give bonus damage to the normal attacks",
END="Bonus to hit points regeneration rate during combat",
DEX="Accuracy and critical hits bonus",
AGI="Evasion and fumble (attacker loses the next turn) bonus",
WIL="Bonus to mana points regeneration rate during combat",
INT="Bonus to the amount of hit and mana points you get when you level up"
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

But you see, pysali, it's just the opposite: you can customize your character most fully by doing it yourself, so there must be some incentive to take the quiz over the manual route.