The Codex

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: The Codex

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:If you remember in Loren, if you offer Mesphit (a dark elf) to Valery she seems to appreciate it. Maybe dark elves blood is particularly tasteful for vampires...? :wink:
(when I started making games I'd never thought I'd discuss about such topics in forums!! :lol:)
Welcome to the Internet where a group of people can be a bit passionate of their likes and analyze things to death. ;)

More seriously I do like speculating of such things as well. You ever visit an active pen-and-paper rpg site with forums, such discussions are fairly par for the course (or even more surreal.)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Miakoda wrote:
P_Tigras wrote: :?:

This reference just sailed over my head darling. More info please.
There will be a game called Amber's Magic Shop in the Life/Dating Sim category. It is set in the same world as Loren, but in a different time (at a later date when the Dark Elves have been somewhat accepted).

Amber herself is a dark elf, and one of the Yuri romances is with a female vampire named Ruby.
Cool. 8)
Here is some relevant art:
http://winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2906

The one with the lettering: Amber Magic Shop has Ruby on the far right. Amber herself is the dark elf.
Ruby is lovely, so are Vin and Lyn for that matter. Pity they don't seem to be romanceable too. Amber herself lost something during the coloring. I think the shading of her face is a little off.
There is no date on when the game will be released and as a dating sim may not be your cup of tea.
Dating sims in general, and ones with pubescent looking female protagonists in particular, generally aim for a target demographic of which I'm not a member. So I generally don't bother with them. I'll probably pass on this, but I've been known to make exceptions every now and then if I find both the character and the writing sufficiently compelling. The possibility of a yuri romance with Ruby is certainly a tantalizing prospect.
However, such things (like Spirited Hearts) also do add a little lore to the world of Loren (Aravorn)
Interesting. Perhaps one day there will be a wiki page for Aravorn and the games that take place in it. :mrgreen:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

P_Tigras wrote: Ruby is lovely, so are Vin and Lyn for that matter. Pity they don't seem to be romanceable too. Amber herself lost something during the coloring. I think the shading of her face is a little off.
Initially, Ruby was going to be the only Yuri option, but Jack1974 expanded it to have two more romanceable females. Lynn is one of them, while a new character was made (Cosmina...she is one in a sketch holding a sword).

That said, I would have loved a romance with Vin. After all, she is only one's adopted mother... (what can I say, sometimes I like a little naughtiness in a game)
Dating sims in general, and ones with pubescent looking female protagonists in particular, generally aim for a target demographic of which I'm not a member. So I generally don't bother with them.
Understandable. I enjoy them within reason, especially if I want to be brain dead, but don't feel like hack'n'slashing. That said, some of the earliest Winter Wolf dating games could also turn into a grind. Spirited Hearts suffers from this. On the other hand, they have definitely gotten better for story, as well as mechanics.

As for the pubescent thing, that is just a stage (literally in this case). You play as a young Amber, and then as an older Amber.
However, such things (like Spirited Hearts) also do add a little lore to the world of Loren (Aravorn)
Interesting. Perhaps one day there will be a wiki page for Aravorn and the games that take place in it. :mrgreen:
Actually, I've had it in mind to try and start a wiki page for such things. The main thrust would be Loren the Amazon Princess, but it would certainly contain information about the other Aravorn games/timelines/codexes/etc. Basically anything dealing with Aravorn. So, for released games it would be Loren the Amazon Princess, Spirited Hearts (Yuri and GXB versions). For example, Spirited Hearts has your character meeting the goddesses of the human, elvish, or demon races (whichever race you play as).

Future supplements would include Loren 2 (obviously), Seasons of the Wolf, and Amber's Magic Shop.

*eyes Winter Wolf Games* I guess one would also include Magic Stones in that mix.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Miakoda wrote: Initially, Ruby was going to be the only Yuri option, but Jack1974 expanded it to have two more romanceable females. Lynn is one of them, while a new character was made (Cosmina...she is one in a sketch holding a sword).
Ahh, I see. :) I hadn't read along that far into the thread. The Cosmina sketch is adorable too. That's one talented artist.
That said, I would have loved a romance with Vin. After all, she is only one's adopted mother... (what can I say, sometimes I like a little naughtiness in a game)
Naughtiness can certainly be fun! :twisted:

BTW, adoption was virtually unheard of during medieval times, and almost impossible to get legally recognized. Instead people took orphans in as "wards", and it was perfectly acceptable for a ward to marry their guardian when they came of age as long as they weren't close blood relatives.
Dating sims in general, and ones with pubescent looking female protagonists in particular, generally aim for a target demographic of which I'm not a member. So I generally don't bother with them.
Understandable. I enjoy them within reason, especially if I want to be brain dead, but don't feel like hack'n'slashing. That said, some of the earliest Winter Wolf dating games could also turn into a grind. Spirited Hearts suffers from this. On the other hand, they have definitely gotten better for story, as well as mechanics.
This certainly applies to Loren which I thought better than PS in both regards. I was a bit disappointed with the story in BH2 however. I haven't tried out anything other than BH2 that's more recent than Loren yet. That was my single attempt to play a non-RPG by Winter Wolves.
As for the pubescent thing, that is just a stage (literally in this case). You play as a young Amber, and then as an older Amber.
Has an image of the older Amber been posted?
Actually, I've had it in mind to try and start a wiki page for such things. The main thrust would be Loren the Amazon Princess, but it would certainly contain information about the other Aravorn games/timelines/codexes/etc. Basically anything dealing with Aravorn. So, for released games it would be Loren the Amazon Princess, Spirited Hearts (Yuri and GXB versions). For example, Spirited Hearts has your character meeting the goddesses of the human, elvish, or demon races (whichever race you play as).

Future supplements would include Loren 2 (obviously), Seasons of the Wolf, and Amber's Magic Shop.

*eyes Winter Wolf Games* I guess one would also include Magic Stones in that mix.
I'd be willing to help out with a Loren Wiki. :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

BTW, adoption was virtually unheard of during medieval times, and almost impossible to get legally recognized. Instead people took young orphans in as "wards", and it was perfectly acceptable for a ward to marry their guardian when they came of age as long as they weren't close blood relatives.
However, while acceptable, society still tended to look askance at it. But I certainly would have no problem with it in a game either.

I actually found the romance between Elenor and Loren more compelling for that reason. After all, the queen who ran off with her slave...and is now involved with another (and potentially in a love triangle with her daughter).
This certainly applies to Loren which I thought better than PS in both regards. I was a bit disappointed with the story in BH2 however. I haven't tried out anything other than BH2 that's more recent than Loren yet. That was my single attempt to play a non-RPG by Winter Wolves
*nods* No problems. Once again, not all things will appeal to all people. Of course, like with BH2, the visual novel style might be a little off. I know I personally enjoyed it.

Anyways, back onto topic with Loren:
I'd be willing to help out with a Loren Wiki
Sadly, my biggest reason for not doing so is time. Even carving out game time gets tough. But I would love to condense info for Loren. I mentioned in a world-building thread, but I would love to see more information about the Great Mothers, for example. The Amazons don't follow any gods/goddesses, but do practice ancestor worship, etc.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Miakoda wrote:
BTW, adoption was virtually unheard of during medieval times, and almost impossible to get legally recognized. Instead people took young orphans in as "wards", and it was perfectly acceptable for a ward to marry their guardian when they came of age as long as they weren't close blood relatives.
However, while acceptable, society still tended to look askance at it.
I suppose that depended on the nature of the relationship. Premartial relationships were certainly heavily frowned upon at any age by anyone, although the more powerful the parties involved, the less that would have been an issue. And gay relationships were illegal, but yuri relationships largely floated under the radar with most people unaware that such a thing was even possible due to the common perception that sex=copulation. People would certainly have looked askance at a female guardian marrying her male ward despite its legality, and also at a female guardian who behaved so indecently with her female ward in public that it arroused suspicions of an "unnatural" relationship. Male guardian/female ward was pretty common however and would have been unlikely to raise eyebrows. This game however is a female guardian/female ward situation. So I guess I was thinking of having the female guardian/female ward case treated much as the male guardian/female ward case used to be.
But I certainly would have no problem with it in a game either.

I actually found the romance between Elenor and Loren more compelling for that reason. After all, the queen who ran off with her slave...and is now involved with another (and potentially in a love triangle with her daughter).
True. It touches on the taboo without being taboo. Both the mother and the daughter are interested in your character, and both are highly appealling in their own way. Either choice you make is going to have repercussions given their relationship. There is also a significant power imbalance between them and you, that favors them, although the game does to a significant extent soft-peddle that power imbalance.
This certainly applies to Loren which I thought better than PS in both regards. I was a bit disappointed with the story in BH2 however. I haven't tried out anything other than BH2 that's more recent than Loren yet. That was my single attempt to play a non-RPG by Winter Wolves
*nods* No problems. Once again, not all things will appeal to all people. Of course, like with BH2, the visual novel style might be a little off. I know I personally enjoyed it.
Fair enough.
Anyways, back onto topic with Loren:
I'd be willing to help out with a Loren Wiki
Sadly, my biggest reason for not doing so is time. Even carving out game time gets tough. But I would love to condense info for Loren. I mentioned in a world-building thread, but I would love to see more information about the Great Mothers, for example. The Amazons don't follow any gods/goddesses, but do practice ancestor worship, etc.
It will certainly be interesting to see Loren's world further developed. Perhaps some of your questions will be answered.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Just wanted to say that the wiki idea is very cool, if you do it I would enjoy it (and also use as reference myself lol).
About Amber there's an updated version of the sprite, with more outfits and the adult look:
(the one on the right is the adult version).
And just to be clear young age doesn't mean they're 12, still 18+ but more like young lady, while in the other age they're 24-26 (even if actually she is a dark elf so the age scale would be different but you get the idea!).
I'm not so crazy to say that my game has underage characters, even if they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in that age, nor later (there are some spicy romance/ending scenes but not particularly hot like Loren's) since it would feed too many trolls :mrgreen:
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:Just wanted to say that the wiki idea is very cool, if you do it I would enjoy it (and also use as reference myself lol).
About Amber there's an updated version of the sprite, with more outfits and the adult look:
(the one on the right is the adult version).
And just to be clear young age doesn't mean they're 12, still 18+ but more like young lady, while in the other age they're 24-26 (even if actually she is a dark elf so the age scale would be different but you get the idea!).
I'm not so crazy to say that my game has underage characters, even if they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in that age, nor later (there are some spicy romance/ending scenes but not particularly hot like Loren's) since it would feed too many trolls :mrgreen:
The first one looks like she's around 14 to me. She hasn't even started to grow the chest she has in the 2nd pic yet, and for most gals that happens between 14 and 16, although some early developers may get them at 12 or even younger. The pedamorphic, wide-eyed innocent look also tends to keep the age estimate on the low end. The second one I can buy is at 24-26, and that one makes me feel a lot more comfortable. The idea of a dark elf wearning pink bow ties makes me wince however. Is nothing sacred in this world? :lol: Perhaps that's why she looks a little unhappy...
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

The only problem I have with your assessment is that it isn't fair to assume she isn't an adult because of the the growth (or lack there of) of a woman's chest, some adult women years into their 20's still have a small bust.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sylrissa wrote:The only problem I have with your assessment is that it isn't fair to assume she isn't an adult because of the the growth (or lack there of) of a woman's chest, some adult women years into their 20's still have a small bust.
Yes I agree, that's not really a good way to measure a woman's age! :wink:
More likely the eyes, they're big so indeed could seem younger. In any case at the young age nothing remotely sexy/romantic happens (no kissing, etc) and in general the game is more on the "dark" side*, so I HOPE that is fine! :)

* is very different from my other games. In one of the early scenes you can choose if to save a young thief (a kid) and one of the four possible outcomes is that he gets killed by the guards in a brutal way :mrgreen: so ehm, not Spirited Heart kind of stuff for sure!!