Battle tips & tricks thread

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
nightshadengale
Young scout

Re: Battle tips & tricks thread

Post by nightshadengale »

yayswords wrote:That skill has a short delay though :) 6, same as a normal attack.
But he's still moving at least 1.5x or 2x as often as warriors using standard attacks.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yeah I see your point :) Dora gets to act a hell lot too. Little mana guzzling mass murderess.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Rei and Dora have such useful skills, it's worth putting in few points in Will so you can use their high level stuff more often.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I did that on a previous playthrough and got annoyed with their low damage, but I probably overdid it. I just force feed Dora mana now with her base 5 will. Battles end when/before she runs out of mana anyway, but forced consecutive battles might be a problem.
candesco
Young scout

Post by candesco »

I play with an all women crew. Choosed elenor in char creation and next i use then loren, karen, myrth, dora and chambara. Yeah, i have 2 mages in the team. Works quite well together.
Loren, Elenor and Karen are all in the front row, rest is in the back. Choosed warrior for elenor, but pumping points into will. I only focus on the hero skills, so elenor is the supporting char. I let her have the sword and crossbow, which works well.
Loren is the tank and can deal heavy blows. I focus here on the special battlemaster (or something like that) tree, unlocking the 2 weapons feat and that one that deals extra damage. Pumping alot of points into strenght, but i use will as well, for those special attacks.
Karen is not entirely a tank, more sortkind of battlemage, maybe paladin. But has indeed some nifty tricks on her sleeve. I let her keep a spear, just to use those special attacks. Also use focus.
Dora is the classical archer and i just also use her in that role. Rei use indeed also a bow, but Dora is better in it. Rei is more an assassin. Pinned shot and all those other things from the ranger tree. From the attributes 2 things are especially usefull for an archer: speed and critical hit. A high critical do wonders with dora. Well, Myrth is the druid class and act just as that. Comes with usefull AoE spells, such as that insect swarm and vines. I put most points into will and also some in skill, for the defense. Since a druid is a mage class no need for strenght. Then as last Chambara. Necromancer class, which means an offensive mage. I use her for that as well. Not completely AoE, but those spells she has are very powerfull and make short work of those with high health. I find swap rot (think this is the name) especially usefull and that one that causes burning. Necromancers rule.
Equipment is also important. Good equipment is the key to success. I pay attention to equipment which fits to the character and what kind of attributes it has. For armor i look if it got any resistances (to poison, burn, etc) as well as certain modifiers and for weapons i look for extra effects, especially with archers and fighters.
Aennor
Young scout

Post by Aennor »

One of my favorite tactic - Elenor/Saren pure skill (rogue obviously) and two swords ('Lighting' IIRC), that way, no enemy starts faster than I am (always hunting for 'Mercenary ring' and 'mercenary belt'0
A 6-strikes-in-a-row with over 150+ damage on staggered/phys.weakness/both is obliterating (and if I can't kill it Sar/Ele, Loren is always do a Fatality to that one with her 300+)
SweetLove
Young scout

Post by SweetLove »

This has been my experience throughout my playthrough:

Main Party:
Front: Karen, Loren, Sauzer
Back: Myrth, Saren/Eleanor, Chambara
Spoiler:
Karen: Spent most of the game dual wielding, with a +speed weapon of some sort in the offhand (e.g. Gladius). Extremely versatile due to 1 point Leg break, Focus Target + Stike Through to assassinate enemy healers, as well as high damage output through Whirlwind spam, effectively making her into a mage that can tank, and is often faster too. The fact that she draws so much atttention to herself makes Saren/Eleanor's job easier as well, who can spam Life on her without worrying much about others.

Loren: Overpowered and necessary for most battles. 'Nuff said. Her sidequest when she has to 1v1 AI Karen is brutal however, due to AI Karen being much faster than Loren can ever be- especially once combined with a Leg break.

Sauzer: Nigh invulnerable and highly reliable. I'm not sure whether it's due to Parry or what, but he simply refuses to die or even significantly take damage- and this is without taking Lightning Reflexes into account. In addition, his damage is fast, consistent and nowhere near as SP and skill point intensive as the other warriors (save Loren), with Eagle Strike being his only notable active.

Myrth: Subpar damage but comes with an AoE heal. Nature's Touch is likely the best ability in the entire game- all three versions included (although the 1 and 2 point versions are mutually exclusive for different stages of the game). And subpar damage for a mage is still massive amounts of damage.

Saren/Eleanor: Thief build is superior, no point in even trying to stay in the front line; strength, save for the bare minimum, is a waste of resources for a healer. A point into ice flask early on for damage when necessary, rest of the time spent spamming Life or Ward. Restore and Energy went by nearly completely unused however, since they both cost too much in terms of time and SP, and can be cheaply replaced through items.

Chambara: An inferior version of Draco, but still overpowered and is more fun to use due to feeling more responsive thanks to the extra speed from her dagger. And I like her better. Main damage dealer.
Other characters:
Spoiler:
Amukiki: Lots of useful abilities, but too slow and extremely SP and skill point intensive. If the game was longer, he would derserve more consideration, but too much time is spent on grinding him to be useful than actually using him satisfactorily.

Ramas: Too slow, and his skill tree is a mess and I can't do anyting with him while still being satisfied. Crushing blow is a inferior version of Whirlwind while Berserk and Rage are pretty crappy skills, particularly since the former is sure to make him into mincemeat, and both are required for Mighty Blow.

Apolimesho: Draco MK. III, but with inferior damage, choice of elements, and the worst healing, and Paralyze is a trap skill due to its short duration and that its too inconsistent to be relied upon. An awkward jack of all trades that eventually become outclaseed in all aspects by other characters.

Mesphit: Demon skills are horrible, and Demon Form does not allow the usage of a bow. He could actually do pretty well on the front line with Demon Form + melee attacks or thief skills, but he has low stats and is often too squishy.

Rei & Dora: Nice, but I'd rather take a mage for the backline while Karen's more useful in the front. They get outclassed pretty fast, sadly enough.

Draco: No, I am not going to play this game on easy mode. Besides, as said above, I like Chambara better.
By the way, here's a question: does HP/SP growth mean that a character that invested into Strength/Will early will have higher HP/SP than a character who has the same amount but invested into them later on? The game is a bit unclear, with the tooltips seeming to imply the former, but I haven't managed note any significant difference between the two.
NoManual
Young scout

Post by NoManual »

Could someone post what Burning/Poisoned/Frozen/Shattered/Tired debuffs from thief skills do? It's a bit daunting to try a game and be confronted with 5 abilities that seem identical in all but one undocumented way. Thanks in advance.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

They add a DoT, and reduce the target's resistance to the respective element. Furthermore,

Burning/Weakened reduces attack
Poisoned/dontthinkthereisanotherversion reduces crit
Frozen/Slowed reduces speed
Shattered/Frightened* reduces defense
Tired/Confused reduces magic

If memory serves, anyway...

*might be using some synonym :P
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Scared