Feedback about the game

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
Aveline
Young scout

Feedback about the game

Post by Aveline »

Finally I got the time to finish it before my college starts and I was so damn impressed by the whole thing !!

Ah so,the review is quite long, mainly because it was supposed to be on my blog but due to the fact that I'm very busy these days I didn't have the time to post it , humph. Here's the link should you wish to read it ----> http://darkionsblog.com/PSbyW-D.docx .
Note that my review doesn't contain any major spoilers,so it's possible for you to read it,even if you haven't finished the game yet !!!

-A question about the squeal:
Spoiler:
well, the first one had two endings based on our choice whether we supported the king or the prince, so I was wondering if the squeal did canonized either of them?
:roll:
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Feedback about the game

Post by jack1974 »

I took the liberty to copy paste here your review since is easier than reading a docx :lol:

-Starting point-
I don’t really know the time or the date in which the game took place in, so I’m going to guess it.
(According to Winterwolves’ Bionic Hearts , human race started space-travelling before 2099, so I will assume that it took them about 10 years to develop a high- end spacecrafts to allow them to travel outside the SOL system into the other parts of the galaxy, that will lead to about 2119, where I reckon that the human race joined the galactic community, definitely it took them a while to establish their influence throughout the galaxy, thus, I conclude that the actual colonizing started years after and I would guess that PS is actually happing between 2130 and 2160).

Section 1.
-Combat system, inventory and skills:
At first, it was normal for me to pay attention for everything on combat display like the type of attacks, who gets K.O. or the special effects done by either my party, or the mobs, but in heart, I was not impressed by how the whole thing worked out.
Perhaps considering deferent methods for future games but I don’t see how’s that even possible, since changing the battle system means changing the whole game.
I did like that most battles were easily avoidable, that made it a lot easier, because I had enough time to build my character properly, also liked the fact that you can make the battles easier in the options menu; the developers included a “super-easy mode” for those with problems.
In my case, I hadn’t found the need -I played on the normal difficulty- ; and the battles seemed evenly balanced to me.
The inventory system was confusing though, and it took me a while to understand how the comparison between the equipments worked, normally because it was the first time I play RPG based on VN.
The skills and the training were an essential add to the game, especially the non-combat skills which saved my hero more times than I could count “still haven’t figured out the purpose of the Medicine skill yet”!
I played my character as a guardian and had 2 permanent party members “Tom and Rumi” the fourth one varied between Rebecca and Jacob, and to be honest I was invincible, didn’t lose any battle at all.
I didn’t manage to fully upgrade a skill though, and the highest level I managed to reach was 20.

Section 2.
-Storyline and Romance:
The storyline was impressive, the idea was original and it did deliver the message that the writer wanted us to understand however, there were several disappointments like the fact that the main hero is too focused on their mission they don’t have time to even relax, like for example going for a dance maybe?
Although there were some scenes in the bar, I still wanted more.

Romances were good I guess, but I didn’t like the multiple options, I admit, I was impressed by the concepts, especially Tom’s.
The romance I liked the most was with Tom for Lisa obviously, and Rumi’s plot “which reminded me a lot of Jack’s from Mass Effect 2 “ for Joshua .

I would suggest making only limited romance choices like only 2 bisexual romances since “I absolutely hate multiple romances” , but I know I would be over taken by a lot of angry fan girls, but an opinion is an opinion and here’s mine.
The other thing that bothered me was the hero’s background story, it wasn’t well thought of, could’ve been better if the writer introduced the protagonist as a normal soldier with no ties to any hero/paragon or a famous champion.

Oh, and this game certainly isn't one of those 100-hour mammoths “which is a good thing in my opinion” ....since it took me about 7 hours in to finish all the subplots and the main quest, fighting in every encounter and I’d say that I actually took my time building my characters.
On the other hand, this game is apparently more geared toward those players that prefer to focus on the story and characters rather than battles; maybe it’s due to that fact that it’s a VN more than RPG, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not enjoyable either way, I just thought that the combat system could’ve been better.

Section 3.
-Miscellaneous Include: Art, Music and voice acting
I very much liked the music, it was heavenly, “too bad it is not obtainable”.
Developers should probably focus on this element when making a game that’s not voiced, because the players would want to listen to something good and encouraging while playing.
My favorite one was the shuttle music, the one we get while exploring the planet.

I didn’t like the battle-only-voice-acting though; mainly because I prefer fully voiced games, but if a fully voiced game was not an option then better be off with it and have no voice acting at all (and by that I don’t mean to offend the actors, they did a fine job, I just don’t like it to be only partially available).
The art was good, and since I know nothing about how to criticize an artist I would say that everything was fine except for Rumi’s hand, which I think it was abnormally tall compared with the others.

I liked the fact that it’s not anime based, well at least not all the elements were anime based, since anime is not my favorite type of art.

-My personal rating:
-Combat system, inventory and skills: 4\5
-Storyline and Romance: 4\5
-Miscellaneous: 4.5\5
-Overall: 4.1\5
Finally, all in all, quite a riveting game and well worth playing, and I’m looking forward to the future releases.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've read it, thanks for the opinions. Yours are quite different from many I got. Usually people liked the combat and found it much harder than Loren (playing at maximum difficulty obviously) and that shows how hard is to make a game for everyone's tastes. I think perhaps playing at normal difficulty you missed the importance of Aggro and the psionic skills. I still have some people saying that is too hard even in Easy mode :lol:
I was saying, usually people liked the combat but not much the plot, while in your review is the opposite, and that's quite interesting.
The sequel will be very different, since will have a new combat system (coded by a real coder and not myself!) with much better inventory management, and also a new writer (the same of Loren) so there should be noticeable improvements on both those fields 8)
About your question, in the beginning of the sequel you'll be able to select which choices did you make in the first game. Who you sided with, who your romanced, and so on :)
Aveline
Young scout

Post by Aveline »

jack1974 wrote: Usually people liked the combat and found it much harder than Loren
Ah,to be honest I've never played Loren because of a simple reason: the female protagonist is an elf , ever since I had known them, elves were my least favourite fantasy creatures ever,probably because of Lord of the rings addiction, I may however try playing it with the male character, when I have the time.
about the Arggo thing,you're right I missed it,I thought the hits were random. :oops:
I should have mention that this type of games "visual novels, dating sim and time management" are all new to me,in fact my first VN was Bionic heart
which I found while searching for information on an assignment in Bioinformatics, since I'm a student in this field myself, kindda awkward to find this specific field in a game really !!

ahh,anyway,
will be waiting for more sneak peaks.

:roll:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Aveline wrote: Ah,to be honest I've never played Loren because of a simple reason: the female protagonist is an elf , ever since I had known them, elves were my least favourite fantasy creatures ever,probably because of Lord of the rings addiction, I may however try playing it with the male character, when I have the time.
Well if that the reason don't worry, the "elf background" of Elenor, while present, it's not really crucial to enjoy the story at all. Even if she was a Klingon, the story would still be great :lol:
Aveline wrote: I should have mention that this type of games "visual novels, dating sim and time management" are all new to me,in fact my first VN was Bionic heart
which I found while searching for information on an assignment in Bioinformatics, since I'm a student in this field myself, kindda awkward to find this specific field in a game really !!
Haha this is awesome! probably the weirdest way someone stumbled into my games/site!! 8)
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

Yeah it definitely seems that sci fi can be a direct hit or a complete miss, lol. I found that certain games when done right, can be excellent. Geneforge is one of those games, and so is planet stronghold. I would say that the reason it is done right is because of the party dynamics or characters working together. Youve got friendships, romances and the team work is excellent. I like how wellplayed psionics are in battle. You can lower defenses and allow your main character or other characters to basically assassinate enemies with bullets.

I hope that Roger Steel goes the route of Planet Stronghold.