All of this "he/him/his" stuff is bothering me.

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
SerTabris
Young scout

All of this "he/him/his" stuff is bothering me.

Post by SerTabris »

I just started playing the demo, and while I'm enjoying the game so far, it kind of bugs me that the targeting for my party heals, items, and such keeps using male pronouns. Is this something that's edited in the full version? Male-as-default just kind of bothers me, and with my first two party members both being female (I'm playing as Lisa) it doesn't really make sense.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: All of this "he/him/his" stuff is bothering me.

Post by jack1974 »

edited: ok I've read better your question :lol: yeah I can change that easily. As soon as I have a moment will do it, shouldn't take much!
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

Thanks, SerTabris! :) This is an awesome post.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sertabris, do you remember what were the phrases ? I'm checknig the code and I see only phrases like:
"Target hero is knocked out! You can revive him/her only using the Psionic Power 'Restore' or the item 'Lifegiver'."
so at least I put "him/her". I can't find a phrase where I put only "him". Anyway I think will change it like in Loren so there's no need for the pronouns (is easier to do and won't risk adding bugs to a 2 years old code just changing the texts).
So for example the phrases would be like:
"Philipp uses First Aid Kit on Lisa healing for 15hp" or maybe better "Philipp uses First Aid Kit on Lisa: 15hp healed" :)
Aveline
Young scout

Post by Aveline »

you could also use "they\them\ their" instead of him\her ,it's an English stranded !!

btw, I think the phrases SerTabris are referring to located in the description of some cases like this pic for example:

and so on.. :roll:
SerTabris
Young scout

Post by SerTabris »

I think there were several in equipment descriptions. I confirmed the one when targeting items on your party (like when using a first-aid kit). And thanks for considering this.

Edit: The description of the 'shocked' status (when you hover over 'S' in the battle menu) also does it, as well as the equipment failure message.
Last edited by SerTabris on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

SerTabris wrote:I think there were several in equipment descriptions. I confirmed the one when targeting items on your party (like when using a first-aid kit). And thanks for considering this.
Thank you for bring it up SerTabris, and from what I've seen in the few months since I've been around Jack is very receptive to his community so I wouldn't worry :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ahh now I understand why I couldn't find it :lol: the texts of the items are in a separate file outside of the code. Ok I got it, will check all the items description and use Aveline's suggestion maybe (using they/their/them). I wanted to update the game to use the latest Ren'Py anyway (since has better support for Linux 64-bit) so that's a good excuse to work on it 8)