Surprised by this gem

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
targetbsp
Young scout

Re: Surprised by this gem

Post by targetbsp »

I was going to try the demo just to see how it runs on my lowly Orange San Francisco but unfortunately I have my phone partitioned weird whilst I'm testing ICS on it and don't have enough space on data to install it! I shall give it another go when I go back to Gingerbread.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

People so far seems to like it on Android, got some nice comments:
"One of the best games on android Brilliant game. Probably the best ive found on android (other than avernum and avadon which are tablet only)"

also submitted it to GOG, after it was top10 on Desura last week I thought maybe they could be interested. Still I find a bit ridiculous that no big site is even remotely interested to cover my RPG games, but well one day probably they'll wake up :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ok so Gog rejected it. Well can't say I'm surprised, since no website talk about it! I think I can save my time to submit to any portal in future, unless I get some coverage first on big sites. Which probably won't happen :lol: well, you'll have to buy direct from me or Desura (the only really indie friendly portal I've encountered so far).
targetbsp
Young scout

Post by targetbsp »

I see you have a game on Because We May. That promotion seems a big deal atm.

There's indievania.com but I think they're fairly new and not that well known. They seem to be growing though and I don't think they even take a percentage so there's probably no downside in being on there if you aren't already!

I managed to get the Android version installed in the end but the combat section was very laggy drawing UI elements and responding to presses on my phone - like i said, only a 600Mhz CPU (though it is overclocked to 729). No great issue to me as there's little point in me playing the same game twice at the same time on two different platforms! I just thought I'd mention it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes getting good traffic right now from the Because We May initiative :)
About the PS Android, indeed that game plays "OK" on my Asus Transformer 101 1Ghz so probably under that will be quite slow to play :oops:
spelky
Young scout

Post by spelky »

I'm really disheartened to hear that Loren isn't making any waves on any sites at all. It really needs more mainstream coverage.

Change the music to a bland rock anthem, substitute zombie artwork for everyone and market it as a Zombie Apocalypse tale of survival and I'm sure EVERYONE will listen and take note!

You just don't get decent tactical combat AND story in an indie RPG these days. I think Temple of a Servant God suffers the same fate.

Has even Tigsource given it the cold shoulder?

Mainstream RPG gamers and their review sites are fickle and ignorant, from what I can tell. If it's not Witcher 3, or Dragon Age 3, or Skyrim 2, they probably don't want to know.

Is Loren getting a Desura release? That might be an avenue.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

spelky wrote: Change the music to a bland rock anthem, substitute zombie artwork for everyone and market it as a Zombie Apocalypse tale of survival and I'm sure EVERYONE will listen and take note!
Haha that would be a good plan. On twitter while making Loren I was joking because I put zombies in the game, saying that it would have been a sure hit just because of that :lol:
Tigsource has always ignored me as well. I don't think is about being ignorant, I really need to make more "friends", that's it. It's not about the game quality at all, unless you make Quake 5. It's all about making friends. For example gamertell are very nice and always review ALL games I made. But I would need more like them, problem is that marketing is a full time job and even if I try, don't have enough time to do everything.

Will surely put Loren on Desura, probably next week. Anyway just to reassure you, Loren and PS are doing fine already on direct sales only, so as long as I can keep making more, I'll be happy :mrgreen:
emperorzorn
Young scout

Post by emperorzorn »

Right now I'm playing Loren which I just bought and enjoy,
but as soon as I'm done with it I'll give PS a shot.
targetbsp
Young scout

Post by targetbsp »

Voted for you on Greenlight. Good luck! :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

After playing through Loren, I was unsure whether I should buy Planet Stronghold. But I am very glad I did after all.

Loren has some things done better, like the Music and the skimpy clothing. :mrgreen:

However, with Stronghold it seems (just made the decision in chap. 4) that I can do real decisions which really influence what happens. Also flying in the sectors gives a bit of exploration feeling. Then there is the difficulty level: I found it strange I needed to play Loren in "hard", usually I play "easy" or sometimes like PS "average". And I can offend possible love interests :twisted: if I choose to - and sometimes I need to, to get brownie points with a different character. So after all I like PS more.