A Planet Stronghold Review

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: A Planet Stronghold Review

Post by jack1974 »

I've read it haha good one :lol:
Some points:
1- I cannot fire the writer of the game, since it was myself! If I fire myself, who will make the sequel!? Jokes apart, this will probably be the last game I attempt to write myself, since doing the storyboard, coding, balancing and EVEN the writing is something totally insane, and the story could have been better if I just did the storyboard (and left the writing to another person).
2 - I don't think the CG are bad as you say, sorry. I think they're quite good actually, some of the best I had in my games. So on this point I strongly disagree! Also why you say that the character look different than in the game sprites ?
3 - there won't be a gangbang with the Queen Shiler in the sequel, sorry! :lol:
reader
Young scout

Post by reader »

Just tried the demo myself. Overall looks good with a good deal of content. The demo seemed to me to be rather heavy on the fighting aspect. The various skill levels seem promising as well. Was on the lowest level so didn't need any kind of strategy other than everyone attacking the same creature till it was killed. Not much was shown as to what degree the player could have a relationship with one of the characters. There is a relationship meter, but can you date the characters and get into a relationship with them? Could you let me know how much relationship content there is in the game? Rpg's are good but I like mine to have relationship/dating sim aspects if at all possible. Considering a purchase of this game and would like to know what to expect.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Depending on your "tastes", there are several romances:
as male (Joshua) you can date Rebecca, Rumi and Cliff (homo)
as female (Lisa) you can date Damien, Tom and Michelle (homo)
each ending has a specific image, I think some are really nice (Damien Lisa and Joshua Rumi are my favorites). Thanks :)
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

I bought Planet Stronghold earlier this year after having enjoyed many of WInterwolves other games.

I am not a big fan of the battle system, I honestly didn't like it and ended up just playing on easy and button mashing with the occasional switch to using (I'm sorry I think I'm going to end up misspelling this) psyconic abilities and explosives.

The writing was rather... well, I didn't enjoy it much. It seemed very unnatural, the characters didn't seem to have much depth and I wasn't interested in some of them enough to go through with their subplots.
I played through the romantic subplot's of Tom and Prince Cliff, both were okay, but I didn't feel very attached to either of them. I believe I heard Prince Cliff changed sexual orientations in Planet Stronghold: Warzone. That bother's me. A lot. Not because I can't romance him again, I don't care about that. I just think it's annoying that he was stated specifically as homosexual that he now is willing to get with Lisa. Really? And only Tom and whatshername will be 'cannon' romances in Warzone? Bah. I hated that chick and Tom was, okay, I guess.
Some of the characters, races and plot felt a bit generic and a bit too close to other recent sci-fi games (Namely Mass Effect by Bioware), but I did enjoy some of the races and the idea that humanity had come in and waged war against them so harshly. The fact that humanity was an empire was a bit hard to swallow though, seems like they'd have a president or something, not a king, still, that's an interesting idea, and if explained could be fascinating.
I really like the android, Lucille was it? I liked her a lot for some reason, she seemed to have a bit of pathos going for her.

The art is absolutely divine, the CGs were all fantastic, all the characters, enemies, everything were just so great! The background was also terrific, especially the various places around the human colony/base. And the music--especially the song playing during the romantic CGs--was great!

If I was to rate this game, I think it would be a seven---higher, maybe an eight or eight point five for those who enjoy turn based battles. Still, despite it's flaws I think I will get Warzone, I'm curious as to what will happen next in the story.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks will pass the compliments on the art to the artist 8)
So if I understood the only complaint you have is the writing/story. Well I had very mixed opinions: some said the story was boring/uninteresting, others that was great, but anyway I think the problem was because I was so fool to try writing the full game story myself. Something that I'm not going to repeat anymore, since all the new games, including Planet Stronghold: Warzone will be written by external people (all native English speakers).
This helps not only for the grammar/style of writing, but also because I have more time to dedicate to the other aspects of the game, including planning a good story! :)
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

Well, that's not the only complaint. I also didn't like the battle system because it seemed a bit over complicated, but I likely could do better by just slowly going through it and figuring things out better. But yes, the main point was the story and I agree, that probably was the problem. Perhaps because English isn't your first language the writing felt a bit 'unnatural' in terms of flow.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Definitely the language is my problem. I don't think to be a genius, but I think have good ideas for plot, characters, situations, etc. But writing them... is too hard for me :( but as I said now won't repeat the mistake to write a game myself anymore!
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

ChaosMorning wrote:I played through the romantic subplot's of Tom and Prince Cliff, both were okay, but I didn't feel very attached to either of them. I believe I heard Prince Cliff changed sexual orientations in Planet Stronghold: Warzone. That bother's me. A lot. Not because I can't romance him again, I don't care about that. I just think it's annoying that he was stated specifically as homosexual that he now is willing to get with Lisa. Really?
I agree that changing sexualities is a severe blow to character integrity. I hope to get my hands on the game's sequel as the writer, and if I do, know that I love character depth and solid romances. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ehm OK, remember though that the romance scene was already drawn, so... :mrgreen:
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

jack1974 wrote:Ehm OK, remember though that the romance scene was already drawn, so... :mrgreen:
Right, I know. :) I mean to say that it's possible to handle such things with delicacy.
That is, if Loren gets done sadfidshfasfgs!!