Bionic Heart 2 - version 1.0

A dark sci-fi visual novel: http://winterwolves.com/bionicheart.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Bionic Heart 2 - version 1.0

Post by jack1974 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:07 am

It seems a pattern! Whenever one of my games gets good reviews, it sells poorly! :lol:
This game got very good reviews by people. Vera Blanc got many good ones, even by famous journalists, and that is quite rare for my games. And is one of the worst selling games I ever made.
At this point you see why I hope to NOT get good reviews of future games :mrgreen:

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm

It's a shame it hasn't done better, but I'm thinking that's kind of what you'd expect from a sequel that's somewhat "downgraded" (no voice acting), and that you've complained quite a bit about yourself (all that development trouble). I need to play it more, but there's always something more important going on. Love the soundtrack though, totally worth the extra cost for the bonus edition.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Well I think that if I did the voice acting would have been just an extra expense without any real benefit (based on how the other voiced games performed, for most people seems it's not really important).
I complained because was going nuts, but I always liked the writing/story and thought was very good. The same musician is doing the SOTW soundtrack too :)

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 am

I understand your reasoning perfectly, but seen from the outside, it's a step back from the first game. I guess the game just doesn't have an audience, or isn't able to reach the audience that might appreciate it.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 am

I think is the second case, and is because is a VN. Same story but told as a classic adventure game with pixel art would have much more success. An adventure is something I plan to do (not in near future sadly), I always talk with Dave of WadjetEye about it, and he agrees with me that my games have cool stories but would do much better if weren't VNs :oops:
(talking about the more "serious" games like the two BH or Vera Blanc. The other otome/dating sim are good as VNs IMHO)

Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 am

Maybe people are looking for dating sims if they come here, less so for stories having more to do with politics and social criticism. Meaning, BH2 might be the right game for a different audience. Only I have no idea how to reach out to the "different audience", as the reviews did not help enough :-(

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:03 am

jack1974 wrote:The same musician is doing the SOTW soundtrack too :)
I've always loved synth tracks, and they fit perfectly for BH2. "New Dawn" and "Love On Mars" are fantastic.

I'm assuming it won't be synth tracks in SOTW though.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:35 am

Lonestar51 wrote:Maybe people are looking for dating sims if they come here, less so for stories having more to do with politics and social criticism. Meaning, BH2 might be the right game for a different audience. Only I have no idea how to reach out to the "different audience", as the reviews did not help enough :-(
Yes might be that. But I think in general people associate VN with romance (I might be wrong, but that's my experience). Or maybe is just the kind of following I've built. Takes time (YEARS) to build a following, and so MAYBE if I made 5-6 games like BH2, they could sell better overall. But honestly I prefer to make RPGs, or try my hand with an adventure once I finish the current batch of games!
Franka wrote:I've always loved synth tracks, and they fit perfectly for BH2. "New Dawn" and "Love On Mars" are fantastic.
Are my favorites too :) For PS2 went with another musician and a more rock style (though there's some synth/electronic music too).
Franka wrote:I'm assuming it won't be synth tracks in SOTW though.
No, and it was a challenge for him, I think so far he did a good job, you can listen the title music in some videos I made though of course is different from listening them in the game at full length :)

fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm

jack1974 wrote:I think is the second case, and is because is a VN. Same story but told as a classic adventure game with pixel art would have much more success. An adventure is something I plan to do (not in near future sadly), I always talk with Dave of WadjetEye about it, and he agrees with me that my games have cool stories but would do much better if weren't VNs :oops:
(talking about the more "serious" games like the two BH or Vera Blanc. The other otome/dating sim are good as VNs IMHO)

Jack,
You know if you make any adventure games/stories/RPGs/VNs with Vera Blanc you'll have at least one customer. :)

very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Haha yes, don't worry, I remember :)