Bionic Heart 2 - the real deal!

A dark sci-fi visual novel: http://winterwolves.com/bionicheart.htm
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Bionic Heart 2 - the real deal!

Post by Franka »

Don't do that. It's better to have it as good as you feel it can reasonably be before the beta. If you present us with a game (even a beta) that you know has awful bugs, it'll end up in the hands of somebody who'll trash the game publically for having bugs, and that reputation will remain with the game even when it's all done and proper. Small bugs are expected, that's what beta is for, not serious bugs.

I know it's hard when you want to please everybody, but you wouldn't be doing us or yourself a favor. (In my opinion.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes my only reason is because some people preordered it, and I hate this situation, to make them wait. When I opened preorders I thought was max 1-2 more days of work. Then bam, plot bugs everywhere and my mind was burning, I couldn't figure out anything. Seeing the difficulty that Aleema is having too, at least means I wasn't totally burned out, that game is really crazily complex. Today they published a flowchart of the Walking Dead game and I smiled looking at it, is 10 times less complex than Bionic Heart 2 (of course is still a great game, but is pretty linear).
Well if I needed one more reason to stop doing simple VN completely, now I have it. Is taking almost longer than a small/medium RPG and for sure won't be as popular as one of them :oops:
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:Yes my only reason is because some people preordered it, and I hate this situation, to make them wait. When I opened preorders I thought was max 1-2 more days of work. Then bam, plot bugs everywhere and my mind was burning, I couldn't figure out anything. Seeing the difficulty that Aleema is having too, at least means I wasn't totally burned out, that game is really crazily complex. Today they published a flowchart of the Walking Dead game and I smiled looking at it, is 10 times less complex than Bionic Heart 2 (of course is still a great game, but is pretty linear).
Well if I needed one more reason to stop doing simple VN completely, now I have it. Is taking almost longer than a small/medium RPG and for sure won't be as popular as one of them :oops:
If that's the case, then there is always the RPG option for BH3. Bionic Heart would make for an interesting RPG IMHO.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

True, with some of the endings it would work very well... is a good idea :)
rachb1888
Young scout

Post by rachb1888 »

Hey Jack, could you link up the walking dead game flow chart? I couldn't find it and that would be of interest to me :)
Aveline
Young scout

Post by Aveline »

Aleema wrote:... I STILL HAVE A DAY. D:
ohh, sorry Aleema, but by the time I wrote this, it was already April 2nd here in my country !

:)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Here it is: http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/ ... esbeat.jpg
Contains spoiler of that game of course. If I had to post the graph of Bionic Heart 2 it would be MUCH more complex!
rachb1888
Young scout

Post by rachb1888 »

Thanks Jack! I played the walking dead game several times, I am surprised to see how simple the flow really was. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Is a good system, since the plot is basically the same, but some key scenes change based on previous choices. I want to try making a game using that system too one day :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK the situation is rather dramatic. Aleema is doing her best, but she's having troubles too.
I am thinking to remove the parallel plot, and have a single plot (if you fail with one of them the game fails).
I made the changes in the code, and was about to try testing it, but after a few minutes I got sick. Really starting this game makes me the nausea. I can't even test it anymore.
I am honestly unsure what to do. I might just cancel it and refund people, and then rewrite the game myself when I have time, in a better way. I've spent so much money on it (stupidly) and I want to release it, but it's quite obvious that THIS CAN'T WORK.
I thought I was burned, that was something about me, but as a matter of facts, is the game that's poorly designed and is too complex. If 3 people tried (me, sleepykitten and Aleema) and all of 3 are sick just starting the game, something is wrong :lol:
Some projects go smoothly, others have all kinds of problems. This is one of them. Going back, I wouldn't have even started it. And THANK GOD I didn't do the voices! I would smash my balls with a 2h warhammer for the eternity if I wasted even money on that :mrgreen: