Heileen 3 1.1 "Sea Maidens" beta testing

A visual novel set in the 17th century: https://www.winterwolves.com/heileen3.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Heileen 3 1.1 "Sea Maidens" beta testing

Post by jack1974 »

Ok then I'll simply swap the increase values between Easy and Hard and that should do the trick. The difference is just of a few points but I think should be enough based on what you say :)
And just for the record, I am still going to release the game officially today or tomorrow (depending how much time I have) after this update, but will keep fixing it even after release like I do with all my other games.
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

jack1974 wrote:Thanks for the other typos. About the difficulty, probably you're the only person who played the game on Hard :lol: since nobody else posted about this.
If you rest and get 100% energy, you get an automatic breakthrough on the next activity. I am not sure if that would be enough, but in practice means that instead of waiting until the energy is really low, as soon as is below 30% you do the rest hoping to get the "fully rested" bonus.
I would like to know if others tried to play in Hard mode before making changes on the amount of skill points, since in Hard mode you also get less skill points than in the other ones. Maybe I should just swap that with the Easy mode, since you have a lot more time...
I rested as soon as I could, but it seems like you recover less on hard than on easy or normal. Even when I rested at about 28-29% I never reached 100% Even if I had reached 100% every time I rested, it still wouldn't have been anywhere near enough. I might do some calculations later if I have time, to see just how long it would take on average to reach a profession ending with the hard growth rates.
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

So, it turns out I messed up when I said you needed 12 and 10 in some basic skills to reach 10 in an advanced skill. You only need 11 and 9. Not sure what I was thinking when I said 12 and 10. Anyways, using the accurate requirements, I did some calculations. I don't know exactly how the game calculates things, so I assumed that when something said "expected growth 1-2" or "expected growth 6-7", the average growths would be 1.5 and 6.5, respectively. I also ignored the effects of breakthroughs, or the fact that rest is necessary, since I don't know how exactly those are calculated. So these are rough calculations, but they should be accurate enough to get a basic picture.

On hard difficulty, it would take, on average, 365 days in order to reach 11 in one basic skill and 9 in another. If one then started training in the associated advanced skill, and invited the friend with the highest bonus every time, it would take on average another 34 days to reach 10 in the advanced skill. So this is a total of 399 days to reach 10 in an advanced skill. That is assuming one chooses the fastest possible method of reaching 10 in an advanced skill.

Now, as I said, I didn't take into account the fact that one has to rest some days, nor did I take into account breakthroughs. Since I don't know what the chance of breakthroughs is, nor do I know precisely how energy loss is calculated, there was no way for me to accurately include them. But just based on my own personal experience, I'd say the actual average time would be slightly lower than 399 days. But considering one only has 300 days on hard... well, even if the actual time is slightly lower, there's still no way to reach 10 in an advanced skill in time.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I just uploaded version 1.1e which fixes this issue. Makes sense to give more points in Hard mode since you have a much short deadline. With 999 days in Easy and 600 in Normal, is not a problem to reach a profession ending. I also changed the places where was saying "three years". Thanks for the help :)
Mimi_melody
Young scout

Post by Mimi_melody »

This is [definitely] gonna sound stupid, :) but if you have newer versions, will it keep going like 1.1f, g,h,i....x,y,z? Or will it skip to 1.2? Nothing much...I'm just curious :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Will increase by the next letter until 1.1z and then 1.2 :lol: it happened only with Loren so far though, I really don't think Heileen 3 will require so many updates!!
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

I have a quick question about scenes and the way the engine handles them. Does the time display have to show only a single time for the entire scene? For example, some scenes start in the morning but last a ways into the day. Is there a way to have the time start at morning and change as the scene progresses?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, in some of them I updated the "part of day" displayed on top, but honestly don't think matters that much for the players, since after the event the day ends in any case.