"solo" player RPGs ?

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: "solo" player RPGs ?

Post by DarkWolf »

I think it wold be hard to write a good story if your protagonist always travels alone, not impossible but hard. It could work if s/he has a traveling companion but only fights alone, maybe because his/her companion isn't combat capable or something like that.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If I do this I would use completely new characters (maybe some cameos) and allow much more customization of the main character to allow race/gender/profession choice :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I managed to find that old flash game that I played several years ago:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrJinx/ ... eath-watch
as you can see everything is timer based. It's real-time but you still have time to decide. I would like to try something like this, maybe with an option to play it as turn based still.
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

I really liked that game. I wish there was a sequel or something similar to it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Maybe will do something similar. The timing/cooldown mechanic is nice (well it's very common in many RPGs, even Loren/SOTW use it in practice) but presented like that makes the battles more alive. And the good thing is that toggling that from "real-time" to turnbased would be very simple, so even those who prefers turn based games could play it.
BR4ZIL
Young scout

Post by BR4ZIL »

I think it works best on "small scale" adventures. Stuff thats not about saving the world or anything extremely grandiose.

So you can have your side characters not take part of the action but things would still make sense.

Of course "gamey" games like Diablo throw that out the window and make your PC just a demi-god that can kill everything in his path.

I dunno, i just dont like solo RPGs... it breaks the core classic feature of having a group of people going in an adventure (afterall, thats what PnP RPG is all about).
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

The story is the key, as a PnP RPG player of over 30 years, the best kinds of stories for solo adventures were with characters that were thieves, assassins or bounty hunters. There other types that would work as well, a lone vampire or other supernatural being, superheroes quite often work alone so lots of story options that would make for a great solo-RPG.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes those are good settings to use for a "solo" RPG :)