Favorite combat system

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay

What is your favorite combat system for RPGs?

You may select 1 option

View results

Oniyuri
Young scout

Re: Favorite combat system

Post by Oniyuri »

jack1974 wrote:True, I think Fire Emblem has square grid?
Yup. At least for the last two entries (I never played the ones before Awakening, since I only recently got into Japanese SRPGs).

Btw have you ever played games like Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel? Although movement plays a role in terms of attack range and the type of attack (e.g. manoeuvring to make a line attack more effective), something I really like (and which may be something you can use) is that you can see the turn order for the characters (allies and enemies). The turn order is influenced by the actions/skills taken by a character and before committing to an action, you can see how the turn order will be affected. There are also skills to delay an enemy character's turn or cancel big/special attacks. Additionally, some turns may have special effects which are also shown in advance (e.g. critical, poison damage) so intentionally trying to influence the turn order to your benefit was quite fun. I know there are other games that have similar systems, but Trails of Cold Steel is just the one I enjoyed the most :)
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

Oniyuri wrote:
jack1974 wrote:True, I think Fire Emblem has square grid?
Yup. At least for the last two entries (I never played the ones before Awakening, since I only recently got into Japanese SRPGs).
They all have square grid.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool interesting. Something like Fire Emblem then is definitely possible. I mean of course is still harder to code than SOTW/Loren system, but if the grid is square, it's not the end of the world both for coding but also for art, since there wouldn't need to be particularly complex animations (something that for example in an isometric game would be crazy).
My RPG games have already that turn order prediction/preview thing, so I think should be possible to do that also for a map-based RPG.
Oniyuri
Young scout

Post by Oniyuri »

jack1974 wrote: My RPG games have already that turn order prediction/preview thing, so I think should be possible to do that also for a map-based RPG.
Ah, whoops, sorry :oops: It's been way too long since I played Loren and SOTW...
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Most strategy-RPGs that I am aware of use square grids. It's about how all the rules and unit/character designs that makes the experiences different.

Permadeath is usually too much for me, I although I don't mind penalties for letting one of your characters fall. They could sit out of a battle, have impaired abilities, or you simply have less gold at the end of battle.