The death of your beloved character!

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Re: The death of your beloved character!

Post by iWeasle »

jack1974 wrote:OK I've talked to Taleweaver and found a good compromise for the plot so that even in the DLC Chalassa is alive and on Althea's side. So all happy endings will be preserved :)
TY!!! <3 :mrgreen: !!!
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I think it depends on the story and how it happens.

I actually really liked the original ending for Loren (and was kind of disappointed when the expansion drained all the emotion out of the ending when I replayed the game). Spoilers for SotW:
Spoiler:
On the other hand, I'm not sure I would like Chalassa's death ending, but that's mostly because the shapeshifting thing was introduced so abruptly that it wasn't a major part of the story. Sure, we know she's a bloodskin, but we don't know about her quest or where it will lead until pretty much the ending scenes. If say...Krimm had completely snapped after her revelation and we were forced to bring her down, I think that would have been a more impactful death, because Krimm's story was pretty prominent in Acts 2-3. Likewise, in Loren, we knew the end was coming for half of the final chapter so there was a lot more time for it to sink in.
It also depends a bit on the market.
Spoiler:
When Loren first came out, some other games also had a bit of the "sacrifice yourself at the end to save the world", but not that many. The past couple years have brought out a bunch more of those so it's not quite as dramatic anymore and more of a "what, again?"
I also really hate it when characters come back from the dead in stories. It totally cheapens the death and I have a hard time connecting with any characters in the story after that point. The finality of death is violated, and so there isn't really any danger to worry about anymore.
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

I'm mostly fine with death in games and heck, I do like sadness and darkness in games, but as soon as someone tries to reap your LI and yourself it's a no no (Well, it can sometimes be a pretty and sad end if they both fall together, though I would prefer to avoid that at all costs.)
I don't take deaths to characters I really like that well, both in the main game and in epilogues. My heart is still aching at some bad memories... (OMG iWeasle you bring back some of them waaaaaaah ;___;) I'm a crybaby.
Well, as long as there are ways to prevent it to the main character and LI (Because they ALWAYS take priority ;3) I don't mind if such events are possible. I usually say that I see the main characters as a dear friend/sibling of mine, so I want to help him/her achieve the best and reach happiness with their other half.
Meep :3
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Svanhildr wrote: My heart is still aching at some bad memories... (OMG iWeasle you bring back some of them waaaaaaah ;___;) I'm a crybaby.
Om Shorry!!!
We can cry together :cry: :mrgreen: .
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

Y-yes ;___; Darn them for giving us all dem feels!
Meep :3
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Svanhildr wrote:Y-yes ;___; Darn them for giving us all dem feels!
:cry:
Beardy Bro
Young scout

Post by Beardy Bro »

jack1974 wrote:8) The title says all but... how people feel in general about death of main characters of the story? I posted this in RPGs, but is also valid for all stories.
In general for now my games have been quite on the "happy side", but I wanted to bring a bit of more darkness to them (mouhahah!). I know in Loren for example you could kill Mesphit, but it was an optional choice and the "canon ending" was that he is alive (since is present in Loren 2, duh!). Same thing for the other "possible death" in the story (won't say more because of spoilers)
I am not planning to be so "evil" as R.R.Martin and have sudden death of favorite characters (anyone who watched the latest episodes of Game Of Thrones know what I mean... :lol:) but, for story reason, some people COULD die. In case of humans, it would even be "natural". Loren can't live for 150 years for example.
I'm trying to see what people think about this.
I personally think that there's the possibility of some great writing moments even in very sad scenes leading to the death of a character (either by an heroic sacrifice, or just a peaceful death) even if I understand that many people could be very disappointed by it. I guess that unless the death feel rushed and out of place, should be OK to do that?

The decisive question is: what do you think? :o
why make Loren Death Knight :lol:
for "shit happens" you can look at Dragon Age Origins.
you can make Loghain sacrafice himself or do it yourself/make Alistar do it. or pay a price with something other you are still young,you can pay it in different way (Morrigan's Ritual)

i remeber Chrono Crusade. death of 2 protogonists leave me in strange state...sadness,anger,injustice sense tingling,helplessness to do anything.
i saw it when i was still a teeneger,but this had a big impact on my life in long run.
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Just remember that phoenix down's won't always work <cough> Aeris <cough> ... :twisted:
ill_intent
Young scout

Post by ill_intent »

As it has been said already, how a character is killed is the important part. What must NEVER be done, as it is horribly over-used and far too cliche, is the "Jesus-like-I-will-die-to-save-you-all-pissed-everyone-off-in-Mass-Effect" thing. The death of a primary character (from a dramatic perspective) works best when it isn't a long, drawn-out decision. Unless you've scripted a character who really hates their life, most people capable of being a "leader/hero" in the first place tend to not want to just give up and choose to die. To people who've struggled through so much, there is always another way. They can end up failing and die anyways, but the point is, they didn't just totally forget there are things that need to be done.

As was also said, the whole Game of Thrones, role the dice and see who dies kinda thing is also un-needed unless the game is suddenly going from fantasy/rpg to suspense/horror game. Having mentioned that, try watching some horror or survival movies and see who's death was something you "liked" (or rather left an impact that didn't make you mad or making tooth-sucking noises). Not so much to rip-off as to figure out what kind of feelings or factors the ones chosen have in common.
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I actually like character death, but it is usually better if they are not romantic intrests in that game where you can choose. People feel ripped off if their choice will die regardless, and will just mark that character as not available. Choosing who will die out of a few characters is amazing because it still gives us a choice. If a character must die, tying it into their character arc are the coolest deaths.

Like Apolishimo could have given his life for his daughter to rise and become a lich in the process, regardless if it actually gave her true life. I can't help but picture Rei having to defend himself against an assassin with a personal grudge against him (the cycle continues). As long as it makes sense people probably wont mind too much, but for main characters just saying they are old is probably enough. As far as 150 years later, making it clear in the prologue this is what happened, I think you can assume they are all dead except maybe 1 character. Even the long lived characters are cloistered or died by some other means.