The death of your beloved character!

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
Pace675
Druid

Re: The death of your beloved character!

Post by Pace675 »

Hehe just by the topic itself leads to in idea pitch to you......The MC dies and becomes a ghost haunting their old abode (or where they died) then romance and shenanigans ensue!
BR4ZIL
Young scout

Post by BR4ZIL »

I absolutly hate the forced death of the main character. Expecially if the game wants that character to be "you".

In over 20 years of playing RPGs (virtual or otherwise), i have never seen a game do the "You, Hero! Go and sacrifice yourself for X" trope done right in ANY RPG. If the protagonist is supposed to "be" the player, then the player will inevitably try to find ways to bypass or avoid said character death and if those arent present in-game, then said story will feel lame (at least i think like that).

To me it only really works for stories where the protagonist is his own character and the player has no close connection to it.

And ok, i lied about never seeing good motivation for character death, i think if in the Baldur's Gate saga, if at some point it was asked for the player to sacrifice himself for Viconia... i would do it :P
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

In Dragon Age Origins, when I played a female city elf, I felt I had no home to go to and had not fallen for any of the companions, so dying to save the world seemed like the only way I would ever be remembered, so with zeal, I through my self on the sword to save the world. So even though there was a way to cheese around it, I felt the sacrifice was the better choice.
vultureblade
Young scout

Post by vultureblade »

I don't mind it if it's set up well. What I don't like is when there's a cop out, like in Loren or Dragon Age, you have to make a decision knowing someone's going to die.... unless you find that other Death Knight (Loren) or convince the main villain to be the sacrifice (Dragon Age). That cheapens the whole thing, and makes it feel like any sacrifice just means you chose the "wrong" path".
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

vultureblade wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:04 pm convince the main villain to be the sacrifice (Dragon Age).
There is an option in DA:O where nobody dies...

Just give Morrigan her GOD BABY!
vultureblade
Young scout

Post by vultureblade »

pahldus wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 am
vultureblade wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:04 pm convince the main villain to be the sacrifice (Dragon Age).
There is an option in DA:O where nobody dies...

Just give Morrigan her GOD BABY!
Fair enough. But that's also not exactly an ideal choice. You know if you go that route you're probably doing Something Bad.