incentives to keep/use legendary items

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
renke_
Elder Druid

incentives to keep/use legendary items

Post by renke_ »

currently legendary items become obselete quite fast (I think especially of the three spider queen quest rewards - top percentile for Act 1, but deprecated with the first shopping spree in Act 2).

What if it would be possible to level legendary items? Say the items, when wielded, get XP and 3 "skill" points for every reached higher level. 1 point could be worth +2 % resistance, +1 % crit or +1 attack/defence; 2 points +1 dmg/speed/magic/threshold; 6 points (2 levels woth) +1 regen.

(out of scope for SotW, just something to think about for the future)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: incentives to keep/use legendary items

Post by jack1974 »

A feature I also would like is the "socket system" present in Diablo and many other games. In practice you can place gems in sockets for various items to power them up. But yes the only way to make a weapon always good to keep around would be to allow it to level up. I am not sure though how easy is this to code and if we'll use it on the next RPGs :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

we already have (in my opinion) too many slots - I don't believe slots for slots are a great idea ^^
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Usually I'd say item progression is a core part of RPG's and even legendaries should get replaced, but a representative of my mousewheel is imploring me to support this.

One way to do it, which I think wouldn't be terribly tricky to code, is something like: Act 1 quests give legendary items, act 2 quests allow us to upgrade them. And this upgrade is no fancy mechanic on the item, it's merely they take the item from you and give you a better one; it's two separate items. Then all the game needs to do is check if you have the item :)

I realize that apart from sentimental value this is no different from them just giving you a new item and you getting rid of the outdated junk you had before though.
we already have (in my opinion) too many slots
I agree, at least we have too many slots for the number of characters :)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

That's why the same person who advocates slots for slots is advocating axing down the number of slots drastically. The added advantage is that you don't have to play the slotting game at all. It's optional since you can buy already slotted equipment. But it also allows you to customize your stuff without causing your mouse wheel to rebel.

My role model for that is pretty much the equipment system from FFX if any one knows about it.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes in practice (of course NOT talking about SOTW) instead of 9 slots you could have: armor, main hand, offhand, ranged. Maybe there could be 3 armors (head, chest, legs) but not more than that. Then the rest would come from the gem/whatever you place in the slots. The gems could even be combined, so you don't have to sell them, just "merge" with new ones to buy to get even more power. I didn't play FFX so I don't know about that system but I think should be similar.

Red Gem lvl 1 = +1 attack
Buy Blue Gem level 5 = +3 defense, +2 speed
Combine both to get = +3 defense, +2 speed, +1 attack

This would remove the roulette and random thing a lot (of course if we have the gems in shops fixed, otherwise... :mrgreen:).

SAVE THE POOR MOUSEWHEELS!! :lol:
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Actually I'm thinking more about Mainhand, Offhand, Armour. And that's it.
And instead of gems with various effects I'm more thinking about direct Enchantments, like Damage +10, Speed +5, Call Flames, Icestrike and so on. But those are just details.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

The worst offender in SOTW is legendary "Slith" - so far it was always worse than the start equipment of the dagger users :)