character personalities you'd like to see in RPGs

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
destiny_921
Young scout

Re: character personalities you'd like to see in RPGs

Post by destiny_921 »

I blame it all on Kuroko no Basuke - an anime I accidentally found while browsing the Net. for animes to watch..

Characters like:

-Kise Ryouta. His antics are so over-the-top (but entertaining and amusing!) but he can become serious within a moment. Literally. Outgoing, cheerful. Also, his epicness for nicknames is epic. Poor Kagami...cchi.

-Kagami Taiga. Confident. Childish. Doesn't know his own strength, gets annoyed easily but is secretly a good person. He's actually a bit of a mother-hen (but he'll totally deny it to his grave xD)

-Kuroko himself. I love how he's petite and more ordinary compared to the others, but his awesome deadpan remarks combined with his complete and utter straightforwardness and ability to scare people out of their wits by "suddenly" appearing out of nowhere (when he's actually been around the entire time) take the cake xD
Spoiler:
Kise: We were the best of friends in middle school.
Kuroko: Not more than anyone else.
Kise: You're so mean!

Kuroko: I thought those guys were terrible. I just wanted to tell them.
Kagami: You should've considered the consequences first!
*pause*
Kuroko: I forgot.
:lol:
"Choose to be happy, not sad."
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

I have two in mind that I would love to see in your games! (Even as romances, preferably as males ;3 ufufu~)

First one is someone that has a pretty gloomy disposition for things. (Think Xan from Baldur's Gate. Xan: We're doomed.) Always enter every situation with low expectations and low percent of success. Sighs a lot. Let's show him/her that not all is doom and gloom in the world!

I also would like a crazy character that many would find strange and creepy in his/her way that others would mostly stay away from, but are actually quite charming and maybe even a little too possessive of you when you get close to him/her.

Rawr.
Meep :3
LittleMinnie
Young scout

Post by LittleMinnie »

Rinvee wrote:Hmm, I don't know exactly how should I describe such character but maybe someone read Artemis Fowl series? That genius kid with a spank is something I'm looking for.
(putting spoiler for those that would like to read this series without spoilers ;) )
Spoiler:
I mean, who else would love to rob faeries from their gold? Kidnapped one of them, blackmailed the rest and then fight troll with badass ancient armor and some high-tech modified faery weapon? Yeah.
In short, some snarky genius-thief with crazy ideas that he/she still can pull off! And I mean someone, that's not adorable as Dora. She had just bad habits. Yeah... I think Locke Lamora would be slightly similar, though.
I'm just the reading the book, and I'd love that and seconded it! Though in general, it'd be fun to see a snarky character, in one of the games! They're so hilarious, anyone can't help but love them. :)
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

Also, I never say no to yanderes ;P
Meep :3
HollowVesta
Young scout

Post by HollowVesta »

I like the cold personalities that you have to slowly melt, but with twists are always good, like the twist in Nicole with Jeff, that was awesome :D. There always is the cheery type that turns out to be really mean and cruel. Then there is the athletic type that is actually clumsy, that's always funny. SO yeah I hope I helped in some small way
erkkre
Young scout

Post by erkkre »

I could say

An albinos or ''extreme'' body condition/marks (I think about some African tribe traditional scarification, some are pretty :oops: ).
megaman12321
Young scout

Post by megaman12321 »

I think I always wanted to see in RPGs is the concept of a somebody that has just gotten independence. This doesn't necessarily go into personality, but I've seens lots of RPGs that address slavery in someway or another and when you recruit a former slave, they are ether extremely happy or extremely angry. I'm kind of curious if you can get a character that pretty much has no concept of being a individual, and then slowly gets influenced by the other people in the party. It's not so much a cold personality but more of one that doesn't have one and slowly gains one. Be with that girl that smiles alot? Becomes more happy and energetic. Stays with the lone wolf type? Becomes more serious and aloof.

On a more simple note, I always liked those "older sibling" kind of characters. Not so much the leader of the group but one that keeps the ground together. Could be like a big sister that nobody hates or that older brother that likes teasing everyone when the chance comes. Or could be one that smashes rude people's heads when they insult the group. I guess this fits under the "protector" archtype and such.
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I like these ideas of Megaman ^^
BR4ZIL
Young scout

Post by BR4ZIL »

A couple of characters that come to mind:

-The fallen paladin, in D&D i once roleplayed a paladin that, after some adventures, "fell from the grace of his god" because he refused to kill a demons in cold blood (i think i was a paladin of Tyr, or some other extremely & zealot lawful good deity). That character was loads of fun to play as (even tho he sucked (stat wise) after he lost his powers), as you usually only see "dying" or "evil" fallen paladins in videogames or other medium, making one that can actually live up with the "fallen" status might be a interesting ideia. With all the romance present in the game, maybe the paladin could have found love with a demoness and thus was cast out?

-On the other side of the coin, a honourable demon. Not sure if your aware of Planescape's lore, but there is a city ( or more correctly, a plane of existence) where both "Lawful" angels & devils live together, they belive that as long as you stand for Order, not matter if for good or evil, your a worthy person, as the worst thing that can happen to the world is senseless chaos. With what Myrth said, maybe we can have a Demon that thinks akin to the above ideias?

-Another "creation" of mine, a Medusa that is seeking her lost sister, which was captured by mages who want to do experiments concerning turning objects and people into stone. In my game (as DM in D&D), the party of players relunctly helped her, but only to find her sister beheaded, to which i did write a rather sad scene where the Medusa burst in tears.

-A orc character (or any traditionally "monster") character turned into a proper character (not sure if its possible in Aravorn) to challange what the players think who are "truly monsters".

-As a DM in D&D, i always LOVE to challange my players preconseption of pretty much every adventure cliche.

You find humans & orcs fighting along the road, in the middle of tradecarts, what do you do? (usually the players attack and kill the orcs), but if i am a DM, they find out the humans are the actual bandits :P

Some other random ideias that might inspire you:

--Goblins being used as slaves by elfs
--a Beholder saving the party's lives because he figures being binded to one place actually sucks.
--a Lich that doesnt want to conquer the world, only be left alone.

--Paladins being actually "EVIL", as you know, the line between Lawful Good & Lawful Evil can get pretty THIN when one is a zealot.

I would say a Viconia type character from Baldur's Gate, but i feel we already have the "bad girl with a good heart" in the game, so no need for that :wink:

Hope that i might help you. I have been DMing for more than a decade now and as you can imagine, making up fantasy characters for an adventure (be it for a P&P RPG or videogame) comes rather naturally for me (of course, none with as much depth as yours), but i like to think they might be interesting concepts, maybe they also spark some ideias for you!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, some interesting ideas indeed. I didn't explore the possibilities of paladin/zealots/inquisitor mainly because I didn't define the various religion/gods of Aravorn, something I really should do soon :mrgreen: