Regarding the superheroes game...

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Regarding the superheroes game...

Post by SpectralTime »

First of all RAWK!

I love superhero RPGs, and never really get to play them often, so a good one is always a treat.

Also, roleplaying a good-guy necromancer is always fun.

However, I've got just one problem with the game as you've blocked it out: I don't really like roleplaying evil characters OR playing through dating sims as a girl. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be available options, just that they don't really interest me. For this reason, I'm kind of put off by the knowledge that I can't play as a male character who is also a hero.

Could you instead give the character a chance to pick both gender and alignment, like in Planet Stronghold, and then set them free to do whatever? Just use the same art with "eviler" or "nicer" expressions for each character.

Though Undead Lily is indeed a good name for a superhero, and she does look very nice to boot. If I like the combat system enough, might be worth a "no relationship" run...
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Regarding the superheroes game...

Post by jack1974 »

In the blog I've talked with another user, and I said I could even allow the control of the male guy. The problem is that he is definitely EVIL looking. Just look at this:

See? I could allow playing with him, but only as evil alignment I think!! :lol: even if except the blood around his eyes, he is not too evil looking perhaps...
gino
Young scout

Post by gino »

I'd like to play as such evil character honestly!!! :lol:
BTW how the game is called? "Undead Lily"??
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well my actual idea is to call it "Superheroes league of Undead Lily", but if you have any suggestion, is welcome 8)
Carmentis
Young scout

Post by Carmentis »

I have noticed that a lot of people tend to like their male or female main characters. Playing as your gender brings you closer to the character. For instance, if your straight male and your forced as a female character then they don't enjoy romancing males or some go as so far as not even wanting to see a game from their perspective. PS (Planet Stronghold) gave the wonderful option of choosing male or female which as I saw in another review it was compared to Mass Effect which was a hit because females and males could play their story.

Onto the game itself though I saw the picture for 'Big Blind' today and he looks awesome. I showed him to my brother and he agreed he looks like a combo of Gambit (from X-Men), Joker (from Batman) and Illidan (from Warcraft). He gave it a thumbs up! If he isn't the main/main bad guy of the game you could always have the option of being able if you do a certain quest or build up to it that he would join your squad (and possibly a romance). Then you could have another main/main guy that you wouldn't think would be it or something. Sorta like how you could get Loghain from Dragon Age if you did a specific thing but there was still the main problem affecting the world and all.
As for Undead Lily's design my brother said she looked "bad ass, sorta reminds me of Lady Death (from the comic series)" but I mentioned she could romance people and he did agree that it was a bit offsetting thinking about being close to a stitched up body and all. I had some suggestions for her design if you would like:
1) As I said in the blog you could design her like a Dark Elf from Lineage. I am trying to match her colors she already has to figures I have seen and it's the first that came to mind. She doesn't necessarily have to be an elf mind you as I saw the earth guy had pointed ears as well. Here: http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/fan ... _ponytail/ Is a very close color scheme of Lily that I can find. The outfits and such also remind me of stuff that I could imagine Lily in. Or possibly something like this: http://www.lineage2.com/images/item_scr ... 83_2_2.jpg . Again she doesn't have to be an elf just something akin to possibly a demonish type of thing which bring me to my next suggestion:
2) Another though I had was from the recently released Dragon Age II, the Qunari. Especially with their newly redesign of the female ones as seen here: http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... _races.jpg . The one I'm talking about is on the far left. You could always have her have possibly horns and have her make a deal/contract with a demon and she could be like a necromancer class. The ability to summon lower demons or undead or curse/debuff enemies. Plus if you notice they have slightly pointed ears but are not elfs by any means. :lol: With cursing and other skills it would make sense that she could have that bond/contract.
Again these are just suggestions and hopefully good ones at that. :?

Now as for gameplay, if you go the route of male/female main characters are you going to make a male/female version of all the elements? And for that matter how split up are you going to make the elements? For instance will fire entitle lightening with it as well? Will water have ice as well? Etc, etc. As for romance as well you could go the way Bioware did with their newest game Dragon Age II and even make all the characters bi-sexual. Maybe make one for each gender though specifically straight as they did with the DLC character in it.
I already mentioned about the changing armor/weapon possibility in the blog but I was also wondering about the risque option deeper. I know that probably having that option will cost more for the art and all but it's a very nice option for the more mature audience of your players that don't want to be shackled by PG/PG-13 nature and all. Do you have plans for anything more aside from just outfits?
As for the name itself of the game, if you plan on having just her as the main character I could imagine a name like 'Undead Lily's little squad of Heroes' or 'Undead Lily and her squad of Heroes'. Although if you have a male main character as well I suppose you could have something like 'The Elemental Avengers' or 'The Elements of Heroes' hmm, that last one sounded better in my head I think. :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Carmentis wrote:Now as for gameplay, if you go the route of male/female main characters are you going to make a male/female version of all the elements? And for that matter how split up are you going to make the elements? For instance will fire entitle lightening with it as well? Will water have ice as well?
Yes, I have already almost all the images of the heroes. When I am more advanced in development will surely post a sort of hero roster with all the various heroes, special powers, and so on. Undead Lily and Big Blind are the female/male of Death. There are male/female couples for each element, some more or less sexy/attractive/cute :)
About the element special powerrs that is a bit too early to say but yes, the water one could have ice, and so on. Doing the gameplay and balacing it on the battles will be quite hard (but also fun). I am thinking that each character will have a basic common power, like:
Death - can do DoT attack (Damage Over Time), Vampiric attacks (life steal, and so on). Then, each one will have unique powers. Like Undead Lily throws a skull that explodes like a grenade and stun all enemies, while Big Blind can throw cards and inflict bleeding (which is similar to DoT but slightly different).
That's just an example, I have yet to write down everything but you get the idea :)
Carmentis wrote:As for romance as well you could go the way Bioware did with their newest game Dragon Age II and even make all the characters bi-sexual.
Hehe that would be a good "shortcut" indeed. As you said except some that are straight.
Carmentis wrote:I already mentioned about the changing armor/weapon possibility in the blog but I was also wondering about the risque option deeper. I know that probably having that option will cost more for the art and all but it's a very nice option for the more mature audience of your players that don't want to be shackled by PG/PG-13 nature and all. Do you have plans for anything more aside from just outfits?
Like in Planet Stronghold I think I'll have sub-romance plot with a bonus scene if you complete it - the bonus scene will be more risque depending how the options are set (if you set the sexy choice in game options it will also change the romance scenes accordingly). I think I'll also change slightly the texts, I don't plan to have as much as PS though since I would like to have this game fully voiced 8)
Carmentis
Young scout

Post by Carmentis »

jack1974 wrote:Yes, I have already almost all the images of the heroes. When I am more advanced in development will surely post a sort of hero roster with all the various heroes, special powers, and so on. Undead Lily and Big Blind are the female/male of Death. There are male/female couples for each element, some more or less sexy/attractive/cute :)
About the element special powerrs that is a bit too early to say but yes, the water one could have ice, and so on. Doing the gameplay and balacing it on the battles will be quite hard (but also fun). I am thinking that each character will have a basic common power, like:
Death - can do DoT attack (Damage Over Time), Vampiric attacks (life steal, and so on). Then, each one will have unique powers. Like Undead Lily throws a skull that explodes like a grenade and stun all enemies, while Big Blind can throw cards and inflict bleeding (which is similar to DoT but slightly different).
That's just an example, I have yet to write down everything but you get the idea :)
Indeed. There is a lot though you can consider with elements to. I've always been fond of elemental type of games and one thing I may recommend for an idea would maybe watch Avatar: The Last Airbender (the Nickelodeon cartoon) and The Last Airbender movie. They are both excellent shows and I adore them a lot.
jack1974 wrote:Hehe that would be a good "shortcut" indeed. As you said except some that are straight.
It is a clever shortcut I would say but it also shows that they aren't particularity uptight with their views as well.
jack1974 wrote:Like in Planet Stronghold I think I'll have sub-romance plot with a bonus scene if you complete it - the bonus scene will be more risque depending how the options are set (if you set the sexy choice in game options it will also change the romance scenes accordingly). I think I'll also change slightly the texts, I don't plan to have as much as PS though since I would like to have this game fully voiced 8)
Ahh, I never thought of text as well, that will be a very nice addition. Although to me I'd personally like more text and plot then have it voiced. It sorta goes to my 'manga is better then anime' type of thing to. You get so much more emotion and plot with text and manga then having it to be cut short because of a half hour to hour show and stuff.

Didn't like my name suggestions for the game? :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think your The Elemental Avengers is quite a good title, I have other friends suggesting them to me in other forums. I just discovered also that the term "superheroes" is vaguely copyrighted by Marvel/DC so I won't be able to use it (better not risk).
I agree with you about voices. Maybe I'll just have battle voices like before. It's only that with this game I wanted to get more close to people who don't play visual novels, so while keeping the usual good story and interesting characters I wanted to have a game that could appeal a wider audience. But of course since it won't be probably ready before next year, everything can happen :mrgreen:
Carmentis
Young scout

Post by Carmentis »

I'm really glad you like that title, I'm quite proud of myself for thinking that up! I usually suck at stuff like that to be honest. :lol:

Hmm, maybe make a poll on the forums or your blog or something asking people what they would prefer? I'm not sure if that would be the best idea but at least you could get a taste of what some of your fans may want and even ask for comments or suggestions/changes to your ideas that you have now.

ps. If they all live in the same building and all then bathroom scene accident scene, totally. *wise nod* Heck a japanese tactical RPG has it! :lol: As seen here: http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/ds/Lu ... dv_05.html (official site) . Could be a funny addition as well for the risque option set to on.
Jim1958
Young scout

Post by Jim1958 »

This looks like it will be a really interesting game. Undead Lily could be the ultimate goth/zombie babe. If a character makes her made she could unstitch her arm and beat them to death with the blunt end. eeewwww Maybe you can make it available in time for a Hallowe'en 2012 release.

Looking through the blog it appears there are many games being worked on, the superheroes game, DIM, Remember Me, Loren the Amazon Princess, Bionic Heart 2, Spirited Heart 2. Looks like we should have some good games over the next couple of years.