Should I put my old games on Steam?

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy
jack1974
Pack leader

Should I put my old games on Steam?

Post by jack1974 »

As the title says. Games mostly in this forum. I was thinking I could make a sort of "collection" with all the oldest games, like UBM, Goalkeeper, TV Station Manager, etc.
I don't plan to do anything (no achievements, no cards, nothing). Just have a way for people to play those games on Steam. I also plan to include the Windows version only, since they're the only ones that can still work fine (supporting Mac or Linux wouldn't be worth my time at all).
I'm going to give precedence to the new games of course. This was just something I was thinking to do. Hoping that people don't think those are new games or that they could damage my reputation somehow :lol:
fleetp
Druid

Re: Should I put my old games on Steam?

Post by fleetp »

Jack,
My recommendation is to go ahead and do it, with the following caveats:
Make absolutely certain that the games still work on Windows 10, and that the player doesn't need to download an old version of DirectX or Netframework to play.
Release them all in one collection
Clearly state that these are all older games (state what years the games were made) and not reflective of your current work.
Very respectfully,
fleetp
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes they should all work. Honestly I have yet to find a game that was working on W7 and doesn't work on W10! (in general, not just my games) :)
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

On Steam, and on mobile devices. Oh, and if possible (I know ya've said ya don't normally use it, but I figured it's worth a shot) on Humble Bundle, so people can help out charities. :)

I've been wanting to try a lot of them out, esp. Magic Stones since it's in Aravorn. :) (Though I'd get 'em even if they were only on Steam.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No I can't work on those games anymore, they're too old. I can't modify the code now, so cannot do mobile versions or other things requiring changes. I can just put them on Steam "as they are" since there's no change to do.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

As long as it's not too much of a hassle, it doesn't hurt to expand your selection. Also, you may want to consider titles that were on the now defunct Tycoon Games, since it had a few titles that haven't migrated to the Winterwolves website.

I agree with fleetp about notifying people that these are very old games and you are no longer updating them. When you put up Loren on Steam, there were people whining about "day one DLC" without realizing the fact the game has already been out for years on your personal website. Leaving a statement on the game's front page will spare you from having to do some damage control later on.
Last edited by Jaeger on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I can't put some games like Cards Sweetheart since had several bugs and using a VERY OLD/custom version, so that would be impossible. And yes if I do that I'll clearly state what they are. Old games no longer updated, but that should work even on W10. Luckily now Steam has refunds so people can always refund them if they don't work :)
Laineygirly
Young scout

Post by Laineygirly »

Sounds like a good idea! All for more games on Steam. :) I vote Summer Session (or College Romance XD).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I can't put those since they were made with older/custom Ren'Py versions as well (and very likely cause problems, and I can't deal with them sorry).
Laineygirly
Young scout

Post by Laineygirly »

Didn't think so, but just thought I'd throw the idea out anyways. No big deal. :)