future "other games" :D

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy
jack1974
Pack leader

future "other games" :D

Post by jack1974 »

Those of you who like my actual games: you don't need to worry! I will keep making the current games and I remember well that time I thought to ask if you would buy games without story/romance... :lol:

However, I MIGHT (I'm not 100% sure yet) try to do some other kind of game in future. It's mostly for my "personal growth" or "for fun". Maybe I'll give up after some attempts. I am not sure myself too :) But I wanted to try making some different stuff, from time to time. I know that seems crazy but doing always the same kind of games is wearing me out :oops: Especially now that I don't write them anymore, seems that I am out from any creative part.

They would be games like the ones I used to do in the beginning, strategy/sim, maybe could try some roguelikes. But simple stuff, not complex. And the regular games wouldn't suffer any delays from this. And even in the (remote) case the game I make would be successful enough, I know myself and I wouldn't make many anyway (being gameplay based, takes more time, and I don't want to get burned out).

So would be like: 10 "regular games" and maybe 1 "experiment/other kind of game" :mrgreen:

Also, it could be a possibility to prepare the gameplay part in advance. For example, doing a strategy/wargame/city builder with a map, I could reuse it in a future game with a visual novel/story part, and romance. Since the system would be ready, and I would need to add the story :)
Katicflis
Young scout

Re: future "other games" :D

Post by Katicflis »

Is there anything your heart is set on doing sooner rather than later?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Not really, though a pokemon style game would probably be my first try, since in practice I can reuse what I've learned from the RPGs and fits my idea of something simpler (one vs one battles).
But in practice I want to go back to my early indie days, where I could just wake up and decide what to create. Something I cannot do obviously right now since I always depends on other people to finish the games. Don't get me wrong, doing this way I made much better games (thanks to the great people I work with) but sometimes I just wanted to have something to do all on my own.

But it's probably not going to happen this year, since luckily I have a lot of games ready to be finished! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Oh also another thing I want to do is some pixel art games. They might even be adventures or story-based, but I really like pixel art, beside manga :)
Katicflis
Young scout

Post by Katicflis »

A) I love pixel art and B) I actually personally know a really good artist if you ever want me to contact him for you. He's part of the team that did Binding of Isaac.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, I actually have a few guys I wanted to ask first (one is the same person who did SOTW isometric map, very good quality I think) but good to know :)
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

If you need writers? :D

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/22/108147 ... -character

There's one from BW up for grabs! *offers Jack a stungun*
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think he might be slightly out of my budget! :mrgreen:
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

The only issue with the pixel art games is right now the market is flooded with them, and please oh please don't use RPGmaker. That said by the time you are able to get this game of love and passion done, the market should have calmed down only leaving quality games.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah no, I will still use Ren'Py :)
I know there are a lot of pixel games, but for certain type of games it's the only option if you want to have animations, otherwise could be too expensive (of course I don't even consider 3D).
But in general "pixel art" is not really a genre. You can do in pixel art games like:
- RPG (well obviously :lol:)
- town/city builder
- raising/life sim
etc etc. So it's just the art style. Anyway who knows I might even not use it and still use manga but do a game where story is no the main focus, or I don't need 100k words or more of story !