Spirited Hearts Trial Version "Not Responding"

Life simulation game in a fantasy world: http://www.winterwolves.com/spiritedheart.htm
Mist42
Young scout

Re: Spirited Hearts Trial Version "Not Responding"

Post by Mist42 »

I put that one-line file (saved as environment.txt) in the folder with Spirited Heart Deluxe.exe and it still came up with a white window that did nothing. >.>

Edit: For some reason I can load the Spirited Heart version that was distributed by Arcade Town, but I'm not sure if I can trust them since they're not you... >.> The sub-directories are different as well (includes ones such as common, game, images, renpy).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That version is very old, strange that it works instead of the new one! I am not sure at this point what could be the reason, sorry :oops:
Mist42
Young scout

Post by Mist42 »

Is there a way to start with the old version and update it? Or how about getting the full file downloaded instead of the installer? I get the feeling it is one little file being mean to me. :/ Probably in the renpy directory since that was the one that hated me changing it the most....
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Just as test, if you try to run another recent game, it works?
Like, try downloading this one and tell me if works: http://www.winterwolves.com/bionicheart2.htm
You only need to tell me if it starts, in that case I think I just need to recompile the game.
Mist42
Young scout

Post by Mist42 »

You're right! :O There's something bizarre going on and it doesn't like me. T_T I tried playing Bionic Heart 2, Heileen 3, The Castle of N'Mar, Always Remember Me, and Winter in Fairbrook, but they all came up with the 'not responding' issue...

Is there something that these versions use that other games wouldn't?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I really think the best would be if you can post your problem directly in renpy forums (the tool I use to make the games) here:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
there's the main coder who maybe can find the reason, since I think yours is a very particular case!
Mist42
Young scout

Post by Mist42 »

Thank you so much for all your time and help. ^.^ I posted a topic there and hopefully they'll have a fix for me. :)

Edit: After no response from the forum, I decided to completely overhaul everything and found out that AlienGUIse (Alienware branding of my computer's GUI) was preventing ANY Ren'Py-based visual novel from loading. Not exactly sure why it even hated full-screen versions, but it was... T_T