Resolution?

Life simulation game in a fantasy world: http://www.winterwolves.com/spiritedheart.htm
Luksis
Young scout

Resolution?

Post by Luksis »

Hey just a quick question:
My monitor has 24'' and when i play the game in fullscreen i have huge black edges left and right.
This could be because the native resolution of my monitor is 1920x1080 and the CG's simple aren't big enough to fill the screen. Normally though the game should adopt it's own game intern resolution for the monitor, shouldn't it? si actually i expected the Cgs to be abit pixelized, but not these film like edges (you know like in those old films the edges above and below the movie).
Now im wondering if i can set the game resolution to my native one.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Resolution?

Post by jack1974 »

No because the art was done with 4:3 aspect ratio. So without those black bands around, you would see the image VERY distorted, with the background squeezed to fit the width. For the new games I'm using 16:9 (widescreen) format, but it's really a pain, since for example iOS devices (iPhone/iPad) still use the 4:3 aspect ratio...
For full 3d games there isn't this problem of course.
Luksis
Young scout

Re: Resolution?

Post by Luksis »

Okay that explains it of course^^
totally forget the whole aspect ratio thing :)
it's not really a big problem and doesnt change the game so just a mood point^^.
Though i have to say... these random encounters happen to few for my taste :D i make job after job and nothin happens xD i hate random :D