Rather disapointed

Life simulation game in a fantasy world: http://www.winterwolves.com/spiritedheart.htm
Xenokitten
Young scout

Rather disapointed

Post by Xenokitten »

I am not trying to sound ungrateful. I recognize that indie game developers dont make a ton of money, and have limited resources available... but doing some beta testing would do your company good. you can find college students willing to test for minimum wage, or do an online open or closed beta for a few weeks before releasing your games. I appreciate the hard work that you all put forth, and have purchased just about all of your games because otome and sim and dating games are so rare in english.... but the english is really bad especially in this game. It seems you have improved a lot with your newer releases, but even in those there are a few typos. The english in Spirited Heart makes it almost unplayable to me. It's really really really really really really bad.... :(.... I hate to say it, but I have trouble enjoying the game because it really breaks the veil and takes me out of the immersion. I suspect maybe you guys are from another country with english as a second language, especially given the asian style artwork and all. And that's cool. whatever works. But please you guys need to get some help before releasing the games to paying customers who pay their hard earned money for these games.
Aleema
Official writer

Re: Rather disapointed

Post by Aleema »

Are you talking about the original Spirited Heart, or the sequel "Girl's Love"? Because I wrote the second and I would hate for you to use that many "really"s about how bad it was. D:

But I'm pretty sure Jack said he won't be writing his own games anymore, since English is his 2nd language. We're all prone to typos, though. :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hi, yes this was one of my early games and I was so stupid to write it myself (I'm not native English speaker). I didn't receive many complaints like yours to be honest (I mean seems that most people don't mind), but I agree that it can be improved.
I am going to find someone to fix the game texts in next months! And don't worry for all the new games I'm using external writers.

p.s. I suppose you noticed the difference between the boy's romance (my original poor writing) and the new girl's romances (written by Aleema above)?
Xenokitten
Young scout

Post by Xenokitten »

I am not too far into the game :) and did not know they were written by different authors. but now that I think about it, most of the issues I noticed were in the random encounters with the boys so I suspect that is right. I still love your company and your games. This one reminds me a lot of Princess Maker (which i love). It would just be cool to have someone double check the text before release :D

ETA: I did see one thing that bothered me a lot with the girls', when you first meet Hade. But I suspect that is intentional. It is a big huge chunk of text and has contradictions from a few words, to a few sentences later in the same paragraph. But given the characters' reactions, I think this was probably intentional, still made my head hurt and made me go "what the heck" at first lol. for example she starts by saying "There were five, not four; two were male, two were female" I read that sentence like 3 times wondering so what the heck was the fifth one then? lol.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes the Hade big phrase IS intentional indeed! :lol:
And don't worry, from now on I select very carefully my writers and I don't write directly anymore 8)
seienhananosei
Young scout

Post by seienhananosei »

jack1974 wrote: I am going to find someone to fix the game texts in next months! And don't worry for all the new games I'm using external writers.
Do you mean you are hiring/have hired someone to go back and fix the original text errors in Spirited Heart (boys version)? Just curious. The textual errors didn't ruin the game for me (since I'm used to reading translated works and the like) but if there is/is going to be a new download link with text fixes then I would definitely download it for when I play the game again.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I didn't had the time yet to find someone, was too busy with the other games, sorry :oops: