TV Station Manager released (was the history)

TV management tycoon game
jack1974
Pack leader

TV Station Manager released (was the history)

Post by jack1974 »

TV Station Manager (version 1.0)
Official site: http://www.tvstationmanager.com

Since this thread has been derailed a bit, I'm going to start a new one with the history, and rename this one :p
Last edited by jack1974 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Looks interesting man...but kinda hard to download. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh just wait 2-3 days please :D
I'm in beta testing right now, I'll put a message up on the beta forums, now that I think about it!
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Okay, first observations with not a lot of playing time.

As Patty is explaining I saw a "because" that was spelled wrong, towards the beginning of explaining the advertising in a sentence that goes "I suggest you start with easier deals because..."

I started a sports oriented station (surprise surprise) and bought the "sport news" show, it kinda made sense. If I were to play it at 7 PM and again at 11 like ESPN would, will it go to a new show or will it re-run the same one (I haven't tested)? In the early days and perhaps all time, I'd want to do the same show twice in a night because it's straight news.

You might be giving too much of the game away for free. Unless I'm missing something, the only thing I can't do is create my own shows. You should make it so we can't save or something unless we buy the full game. So if I wanna sit there for 10 hours, fine, but no saving.

Course knowing me you'll be getting my money pretty quickly cuz this looks pretty cool. :lol:

The website is coming up very weird at home, I only can see part of it. At work during the day I could see the whole thing. I'll have to check tomorrow.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for feedback. I have a tester that's going to fix those grammar mistakes :)
About the game length, in the demo you can play just 1 week. Also you don't have access to all the advertising possible. And yes, the main missing thing is the production studio, along with the possibility to play more than 7 days.
Don't know if to reduce the trial time, 7 days seems right (if you play at maximum speed shouldn't last a lot).
Strange that you have problems with website, is hosted on my main server, so should be quite reliable (I hope...!)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Ok 7 days isn't bad...I've barely simmed one day. Here's what the site looks like...and it's the same at work now so the site is definitely different.

There is someone else who's had this concept before, I found it on download.com. I just figured you should know in case they have some kind of rights to the idea.

http://www.download.com/TV-Manager/3000 ... 59180.html
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ha I must have messed up with the width :D
Yes I know about the other game, but on the other hand there are lots of other boxing / soccer simulators so you can't really copyright an idea (luckily, otherwise you wouldn't see anymore games!).
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Ok... I'm getting the idea that there are no daily costs for just staying in business, am I correct? I would think that we need it to cost say $20,000 a day just to stay on the air, but our advertisers would pay a little more.

Keeping track of how often I show movies could be cleaned up a bit. I can see how many times I've showed it and the last time I showed it, but I might want to know that I put it out there three times last week. After a couple weeks it'll get muddled.

I'd like an auto-insert for shows available. If I'm running a series of 80, it would be nice to just have it come on at 7:30 every day for the next 80 days. Because I can't see what I did yesterday anymore, I might mess up the time. I'm guessing people would want their favorite show to be on at the same time every night! If they don't care, you should put it in that they do, ratings go down if I show it at 7 today, 9 tomorrow, 11 the next day, and then back to 7.

Reruns will be a big sticker for me, as I sorta mentioned in the last post. A lot of TV shows will have a new episode just once a week from the new season, then the rest of the week it'll be reruns. I'd like the option to do a new show, or pick any of the past shows to rerun. That way I could do a 7:00 and an 11:00, or I could run a new show on Monday and then go through the archives the rest of the week. It'll give people something to look forward to on Monday (lots of viewers so I do the big advertisements on that day) while still giving them their daily feed. We'd need designated seasons on the shows too... "The Jab season 1 episode 4". Discounts on the old seasons if you buy them, premium for the new season!

Then again, you might have this planned to only go so long before you win or lose... but it would be cool to be open-ended, be able to continue the game even after you "win".

Oooooh two parters in a series... if I show episode 5 and 6 back to back because they go together people love it... or even the next days... if I break them up and leave people hanging for a long time they get upset.

I'm gonna drive you crazy mon! :lol:
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Part of me wants a better mix of ads... as a fledgling I can't even hope to draw the numbers that most of the ads demand, so I'm stuck with the little bitsy ones. That's ok but I usually hit my quotas quickly and waste advertising space because they come out. On the other hand, once I get going the big ones will be so essential... so I dunno. Maybe I expect too many results too fast hehe.

Pretty hard... which means a good challenge!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes you're going to drive me crazy :lol:
The game was made for a more "casual" audience, so while some of your suggestion are cool (like showing old episodes) right now would be hard to implement (some people said is already very hard as it is!).
Anyway as always... I can make updates later, if I find out that people love this game like UBM or Magic Stones ;)

About your question, there are daily costs for the station, around $10,000 if I remember well. The ads indeed are hard to place, so sometime you're stuck, but you need to use the "Promotion" tactic in the Company Management screen.
With it you can "lure" a certain target public to your tv when the campaign is active. So you can met some ads criteria that otherwise you wouldn't...

Yes, it is a hard game :twisted: