Supernova: Galactic Wars 2?

A strategy space game with realtime battles
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh some very good suggestions here :)
Of all the game I've made, I like those 2 particularly too. This year I'll be quite busy with USM2 because of the soccer World Cup, but after this summer I want to go back working on those games.
Well, Magic Stones will have the new quest very soon (I'm finishing it right now, shouldn't take long) but Supernova could really use some of your suggestion. About them:

1) definitely I want to make a true campaign, with multiple choices and endings, and so on. I think I might even do something more strategic like Galactic Civilization or Star Control (two games that clearly inspired me), still keeping the arcade battles though.
1.5) another cool idea. I would do character development too, like a rpg, with various skills (gunnery, flying, etc). Or even hire a team for each mothership so basically you could change the weaponry but also have bonuses based on the crew skills.
2) yes that's a thing I should have added already since version 1.0 :roll:
3) see above :)
4) well I know about multiplayer. the problem is that technically speaking, making multiplayer real-time games like that one is quite hard (indeed you won't find many). A solution could be just have a local 2 player duel mode in supernova, that would be easier to do (without scrolling screen).
Strategy games like Magic Stones should be easier to program for multiplayer, and I could add that feature in near future.

Thanks for the suggestions as always, going back to work on the Ice Queen expansion ;)
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

I'm bumping this old thread. I know you're busy with USM2, UBM and Magic stones updates... but I bet you will release new games in future, no? ;)
So as a suggesiton I would really like a sort of Supernova 2, with improved strategy elements.
Trading, custom ships (ability to build them up using various components) and a deep strategic mark: something like Master of orion series, but with Arcade part.
I think that it would be really cool!
machina
Young scout

Post by machina »

jack1974 wrote:HThis year I'll be quite busy with USM2 because of the soccer World Cup, but after this summer I want to go back working on those games.
Sorry to reviving this old thread... and sorry about quoting that phrase up there :lol:
Since "this year" (2006) is almost over, and USM2 hopefully will be out... would you consider making a Supernova 2, more strategy than action? a sort of Master of Orion. NOT like Galciv2 - I personally hate automatic battles! I want to be able to move the ships on the battlefield!!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hm you must always remind me how late I am for USM2? :roll:

Speaking about a possible Supernova 2, yes, it is possible :lol: I like a lot sci-fi settings, so definitely there will be a sequel to this game in future. But I'm not sure about the arcade part - it could just be a space-strategy game, like those you mentioned.
However I want to do something differently - just "cloning" master of orion or galciv2, beside being quite hard for my current possibilities, would also be pointless.
I'm thinking about it, have to find the right inspiration!
MissSapphire
Young scout

Re: Supernova: Galactic Wars 2?

Post by MissSapphire »

I'm a fan of your games and I can't wait the new ones! They are really cool!
abnaxus
Woods ranger

Post by abnaxus »

I stumbled upon a IGN review for "Supernova 2: Spacewar". http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/06/27/ ... iew?page=1

Is this the actual sequel for Supernova: Galactic Wars?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, though is different gameplay, the first one was mostly arcade, this one is turn based wargame :) It's the last game I made in C, and the last non-story based one :)