Progress Report

A supernatural-themed dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/lovebites.htm
Pace675
Druid

Re: Progress Report

Post by Pace675 »

Miakoda wrote:Although rather doable, actually :) Just have some music that goes low, maybe slow...then ramps up as an image flashes on a darkened screen.

However, it would only be effective one, maybe two times.
Very true, and besides it is setting a tone and the overall atmosphere for the current scene, and it does work even if you do know it is coming it adds to the overall vibe of the game. So many possibilities and you are right the music will be key here and for the game, slow and dark and a tad gothic?
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Miakoda wrote:
Franka wrote:I don't think jump scares work too well in VNs. :P
Although rather doable, actually :) Just have some music that goes low, maybe slow...then ramps up as an image flashes on a darkened screen.

However, it would only be effective one, maybe two times.
I usually turn off the sound in VNs within the first 10 minutes of gameplay, but maybe that's just me. :) Unless there's voice acting, but it's been a long time since we got that from WW.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Whhhhhhattt but the music! all the effects I add to the games! :cry:
Voice acting is cool and I would like to have them, but as you can imagine they can delay the game release quite a bit. Consider for example Backstage Pass of my friend Sakevisual: the game was basically delayed by XX MONTHS just because of voices! I definitely can't do that :(
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Oh, I understand why we don't have voice acting, but it's pretty much the only reason for me to play with sound. Only soundtrack I really liked was Bionic Hearts 2.

Main issue with VN soundtracks is that they become repetitive so very quickly. I can sometimes listen to the soundtrack outside the game, where it doesn't run on repeat.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Main issue with VN soundtracks is that they become repetitive so very quickly. I can sometimes listen to the soundtrack outside the game, where it doesn't run on repeat.
Yes haha it's normal I think. Even myself after a while I mute the games as I code/test them because I can't stand the music, even when it's actually good :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Just a minor update. As of today, I have 1/4 of Viktor's romance dialogues done (20 total if adding Kaitlyn and Brandon). I also have 3 of Kaitlyn's 6 jealousy dialogues done. I plan on making Brandon's different from Kaitlyn's.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Another minor update. One more romance dialogue, and I will have 50% of Viktor's romance stuff done. I also finished all of Kaitlyn's jealousy dialogues.
AshleyBoo
Young scout

Post by AshleyBoo »

Miakoda wrote:Another minor update. One more romance dialogue, and I will have 50% of Viktor's romance stuff done. I also finished all of Kaitlyn's jealousy dialogues.
Great work Miakoda! :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

AshleyBoo wrote:Great work Miakoda! :)
Thanks. I just hope people like the end result.
AshleyBoo
Young scout

Post by AshleyBoo »

Miakoda wrote:
AshleyBoo wrote:Great work Miakoda! :)
Thanks. I just hope people like the end result.
I'm sure it'll be great!
So many nice games being worked on, but i'm looking forward to this one the most :)