kind of setting/event/situation for fantasy games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

kind of setting/event/situation for fantasy games

Post by jack1974 »

Just for my own curiosity! I am not starting a new game obviously, I have already too many in the works! :)

Was just wondering what kind of stuff would you like to see in a future fantasy game? Not necessarily a RPG, could even be a dating sim like Heirs & Graces. I'm of course talking about a game taking place in Aravorn.

Some ideas I have got from various sources (including myself, some writers, etc).
- a story explaining the transition from "normal human/mortal" to one of the God/Goddesses (for those who are said to have been normal people before)
- a story about one of those big wars, like elves vs humans or other war (even some not yet planned/shown in the timeline)
- a story about another "epic journey to save the world" like Loren, or something more "smaller" a story telling the journey of a small party of adventurers like SOTW?
- a story about the escape from a country ravaged by civil war, zombies or other plagues
- a story telling the origins of something. Basically the story would end showing where another legend/story began. Like dark elves, or some big enemy/character like Fost, or even a minor character like Chalassa, etc.

So if you have anything you'd like to see or that you think could be interesting to play, feel free to speak your mind :) thanks
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: kind of setting/event/situation for fantasy games

Post by Troyen »

The last one might be interesting, even though the ending wouldn't be your typical "all was well" fare.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well could not necessarily be a bad/sad ending, but maybe not a "they lived happily ever after" :mrgreen:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

How about an Aravorn in age that where science and technlogy is shifting away from the "Middle Ages"? Some possible themes you can explore...
1) the rise of industry and the impact it has on the populace, positive or negative
2) whether or not magic still have a place in Aravorn and if it's possible to incorporate magic with technology
3) shifts in attitude and culture from the newfound knowledge
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

Some short form VNs covering the back stories of companions like Chalassa, Sauzer, Apolemisho, Rowinda and Vaelis. These characters have clearly done and had major stories before meeting our PCs in SOTW and Loren. I think that also covering the temple that Sauzer is from could also make an interesting story. Basically games that keep building on the lore and characters we have met, that could introduce us to new characters that in turn have their own spinoff stories. This way, the game world will keep you afloat in stories and games for the foreseeable future.

For the epic wars, I think that would be a good place to experiment with your card games and some simple stories. Epic wars don't make for great stories, but often make for great games if designed properly.

Also, I think establishing a third storyline that is entirely different from SOTW and Loren with a new cast and just a few cameos would be a good idea.

As to the escape from a plagued/ravaged land, that might be the perfect setting for that third storyline I just mentioned.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Jaeger wrote:How about an Aravorn in age that where science and technlogy is shifting away from the "Middle Ages"? Some possible themes you can explore...
Ah so something shifting towards Steampunk? Yes that would be cool indeed :) However it's also a big change so need to think about it, if I want to mix pure fantasy with steampunk (but I like the idea).
pahldus wrote:Some short form VNs covering the back stories of companions like Chalassa, Sauzer, Apolemisho, Rowinda and Vaelis. These characters have clearly done and had major stories before meeting our PCs in SOTW and Loren.
One of my ideas was to do a sort of game made of several mini-stories with the various characters indeed. One with Chambara's origin, witch hunt, another with Amukiki story and so on. I need to be careful though since the future games should then not conflict with what is said there (and of course I need to check carefully all the dialogues of each character for the existing games to not make confusion). So it's something that needs a bit of attention :)
pahldus wrote:For the epic wars, I think that would be a good place to experiment with your card games and some simple stories. Epic wars don't make for great stories, but often make for great games if designed properly.
Agreed :)
pahldus wrote:Also, I think establishing a third storyline that is entirely different from SOTW and Loren with a new cast and just a few cameos would be a good idea.
Well, there are already two RPGs in the works doing this :lol: One set in Dingirra but with a new cast (and some cameos) and another still in Aravorn, with the most original main character you'll ever play in ANY RPG (I can't say more than this sorry haha).
Of course they won't be ready really soon, that's why I haven't officially announced them.
pahldus wrote:As to the escape from a plagued/ravaged land, that might be the perfect setting for that third storyline I just mentioned.
True. I have a sort of basic storyboard done for such a game. It takes place in Locutia islands... (let's see who guess what is about).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, I started thinking about some backstories for the characters, like Sauzer/Chambara. But in the end I gave up, since I realized there would have never been a happy ending (Sauzer is celibate, so whoever you romanced wouldn't be with you. Same for Chambara).
And after the big forum rage for some Roommates endings, I can't imagine what would happen if your love interests were killed or burned alive being other witches :lol:
I guess what I could do, is have those character appear as secondary NPC NON ROMANCEABLE, so you sort of "travel with them" and see their story, but then you can also get your optional happy ending. That should make everyone happy :)
OneTrueBaldo
Young scout

Post by OneTrueBaldo »

jack1974 wrote:A story about one of those big wars, like elves vs humans or other war (even some not yet planned/shown in the timeline)
THIS! What about an Aravorn-based clone of this? Do you can believe I'm *still* playing this game when I'm in nostalgia mode? Besides, I much prefer its retro -but cute!- graphics to modern 3D stuff...

Do you can give us Heroes of Aravorn? :mrgreen: !PLEASE! :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heroes 2 is a great game, my favorite though is Heroes 3 :)
Obviously I wouldn't be able to do a game like that, is very complex. Maybe in future though.
Right now the best I could do is probably something similar, with the card game framework.
SilverHyena
Young scout

Post by SilverHyena »

So, loosely taking the idea of a game set in Aravorn... (*cough* This probably isn't what you were looking for at all *cough*)

I think it'd be fun to have a game set in a modern day world where Aravorn is a tabletop RPG (think dungeons and dragons) and the main characters are a group of friends who live action role play with the setting (or just roleplay. I think seeing them in costume would be funner though). It'd probably have more of a roommates vibe than a Loren vibe but I think it could be downright charming and it could still work as a rpg.