which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy

which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

You may select up to 2 options

View results

Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Post by Troyen »

As a simulation game example, I think Sengoku Rance did really well at combining a branching story with an empire-building/army-fighting game. The gameplay was even engaging enough that it often became more compelling to keep playing for the simulation side rather than for the content that people probably picked the game up for originally.

It would be cool to see another game able to pull off that mix (though perhaps with milder content), but I'm also not sure if that would count as a less-involved project like you're contemplating here. Still, that's how I interpreted "Simulation" with my vote, since you at least listed "town building".
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I haven't played that one, but I remember was mentioned already in the past. Yes something like that would be good, even if of course wouldn't probably count as smaller game :lol: but it's OK, in general I wanted to do smaller games but I could do a few exceptions.

Hopefully won't end up making all epic long games again :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

A good example of what I mean by "sports sim" is the game Punch Club. Though I think in that case the sports part could be considered simulation... :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Strategy and simulation they tend to go hand-in-hand. Like dating sims, they are emphasize managing resources, thus they might mesh together fairly well.

I would like combat sports, but I prefer real-time combat for that. You can get away with limited animation in turn-based games, but not in a fighting games. In spite of their simple premise, fighting games of any kind are surprisingly difficult to get right, hence the genre is dominated by devs who have established themselves in the 90s.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes real-time stuff is complex in general and usually works best in 3D. That Punch Club is an exception :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

3D graphics are more flexible, though not absolutely necessary depending on how you design the game.

I saw some footage of Punch Club. I wasn't impressed with the combat, there is no movement or spacing involved.
Last edited by Jaeger on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well the combat of that game is not interactive, you only assign the skills and it's auto-resolved :) it's a more light approach but personally I like it.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Ah, it sounds more like a game that emphasizes the managerial aspects of the sport than actually participating.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, indeed that one could be more under simulation. Sports I imagine something more "active".
Anyway, interesting that the strategy/card is very low. Makes me think that when I do another card game, there will be basically no story, since I think was right to think that they don't work well together.