New Comp

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: New Comp

Post by jack1974 »

Lol definitely you should! I can play most games fine with a simple A10+GTX 560i :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Thanks for the suggestions, With the overwhelming amount of information, and product, this help narrow down what I need. It's good to know that I don't need 8 GB video card, LOL.

As much as I want to stick with Windows 7, I may have to cave in and get Windows 10. For some reason Windows 7 is noticeably more expensive and the fact the Microsoft is trying to phase it out doesn't help things either. I don't recall my current computer ever having a installation disc for Windows 7 when it was purchased.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If you only use the computer to play games, Windows 10 is not an issue. Win8 was terrible to do... ANYTHING with a computer :lol:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I got the free Windows 10 update just to see what it was like. Most games actually work fine, although there are few that have compatibility issues.

Anyways, I'm getting concerned about the state of my current PC. The on/off switch doesn't work like it used to, and have to press it hard in order to get it going.

This has me thinking of actually getting around to building my PC. This is what I have in mind so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tnTRvV

Would this build be viable for a while, as in not require a huge overhaul of parts in a few years? I'm trying to keep things around $500-600, preferably at the lower range.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm not an expert but I think you should get a quad core CPU, since some games like Far Cry 3 refused to run at all with dual core :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

At least you have experience in building PCs.

That particular CPU dual core was hyperthreaded. Some people said hyperthreaded dual cores work almost like quad cores. All of the available quad cores are considerably more expensive. Then again, I don't want to go to through trouble of having to upgrade so soon. Truth be told, most PC games that I'm interested in are not the AAA variety, although I would like to be prepared for a few exceptions.
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha wait, my experience in building PC was 8-9 years ago. The latest one was built by my brother. I am not really up to date with this stuff, I think though you're right, if it's hyperthreaded it should count as four cores, so games like Far Cry and company should run fine.
Personally I wasn't much interested in AAA titles but for example both Far Cry 4 and The Witcher 3 were running really badly on my i3, though it was an old model, not hyperthreaded :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I went ahead and bought ordered my components. I decided to go for GIGABYTE mobo with SATA 6Gb ports, an AMD 10 quad core processor, and an ASUS Radeon R9 380 4 GB graphics card. It's gentler on my wallet, especially as first-time build.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I really prefe nvidia cards, but that's just a personal preference (I think they have better drivers). Anyway that system should be more than enough for most games :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I initially wanted go for a Nvidia card, as they are supposedly more energy efficient and produce less heat. However, they are generally more expensive, which is why I went for the alternative. In the event I need to upgrade, I might consider a Nvidia card when I don't have other components to worry about.

I'm contemplating whether I should get extra RAM (currently have 8gb)or a SSD.