Sneak Preview #25 - The World of Roger Steel ...

A steampunk RPG
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Sneak Preview #25 - The World of Roger Steel ...

Post by jack1974 »

Haha this thread is awesome, I'm learning a lots of things about science that I didn't even imagine! 8)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I hope Fen remains focused on story and gameplay and leaves the detailed nitpicking for later fleshing out. Don't let 100% accuracy bog you down, first and foremost create something you're happy with yourself.

Words of caution out of the way, research can enhance a lot of the story and lead to unforeseen ideas and twists.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes no worries, I told him to focus on the characters/story in the beginning too. He played a lot of my games so he knows that's what my players like. Details and historical/fake historical backgrounds are cool, but this game will focus on relationships. I can assure you since I've read the first chapters already 8)
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

P_Tigras wrote:Methane may be easily obtained from cows and pigs, but it's -extremely- flammable, just like hydrogen, and far less buoyant. Neon is just as stable as helium, but 50 times more expensive to produce and far less buoyant. Ammonia is also less buoyant, but it is cheap to produce. Unfortunately it's both toxic and corrosive. It's also mildly flammable, but nowhere near to the extent of methane and hydrogen. I suppose ammonia might be made to work for light ships if it was contained effectively, but accidents could still be deadly. Water vapor would be even better if the tech existed to make it work, but good luck preventing water vapor from condensing. Helium thus remains the best possible choice if you want to carry significant cargo without risking getting roasted. It doesn't burn and has no toxicity. Furthermore of all the possibilities, only hydrogen generates more lift.
Well, I knew if I waited P_Tigras would do my homework for me. Now you know how I got through school. :wink: Anyway, the fact that helium is the most effective and efficient naturally occuring lifting gas is not in question. The issue is, necessity being the mother of invention, whether any of the limitations of the other options might be overcome with the tech available in Roger Steel's world.

But probably we do not even have to go this route. Given the significantly lower (first world) world population, lower tech level, and a correspondingly lower consumption rate, even if the US reserves were completely removed from the equation (which they need not be), and bearing in mind that civilian air travel would remain the luxury it was in our 1930s, helium obtained from reserves in other parts of the world (a large part of which is controlled or can be accessed by the Russians and the British) could well be sufficient for keeping the world's airship fleet afloat.

But it does appear that my dream of flying bovines keeping the Empire ruling the winds as well as the waves may never take off ... :(
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

Franka wrote:I hope Fen remains focused on story and gameplay and leaves the detailed nitpicking for later fleshing out. Don't let 100% accuracy bog you down, first and foremost create something you're happy with yourself.

Words of caution out of the way, research can enhance a lot of the story and lead to unforeseen ideas and twists.
You can be assured that since the game is entitled Roger Steel and the Human Element and not Roger Steel and the Great Helium Crisis of 1936, there won't be any scenes in which the state of the world's helium reserves are earnestly discussed by sundry characters. :lol: But you are right ... research can inspire writers with all sorts of interesting ideas. And also prevent them from doing timely Sneak Previews, dammit.
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

FenCayne wrote:
Franka wrote:I hope Fen remains focused on story and gameplay and leaves the detailed nitpicking for later fleshing out. Don't let 100% accuracy bog you down, first and foremost create something you're happy with yourself.

You can be assured that since the game is entitled Roger Steel and the Human Element and not Roger Steel and the Great Helium Crisis of 1936, there won't be any scenes in which the state of the world's helium reserves are earnestly discussed by sundry characters. :lol: But you are right ... research can inspire writers with all sorts of interesting ideas. And also prevent them from doing timely Sneak Previews, dammit.
...Does it make me non-typical of the average player if I admit I would totally play that game?