Stuff I've seen recently

Boxing management simulation game
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

I'm not going to give you quite as positive reaction mwuahaha. First I REALLY like the new look during the fights, I like the percentages and the full stats, and the towel button. Can your opponent throw in the towel?

I've gone through a few fights so I don't have a full feel for it yet, but... you know how I am about having good fighters, so I expect to win. However in all the playing I've done I have never seen such one-sided slaughters. My opponents might as well not even show up. I've seen only one 10-9 round, every other one has been 10-8, and there have been a lot of knockdowns. I suppose since they're overmatched this might be a bit realistic, but it's a bit much.

After a couple more fights I think I've figured it out a bit... my guy wears down the speed on the other guy so fast that he winds up literally with a negative number... my last fight (ended in the 10th round) the opponent was down to -9. My fighter practically couldn't miss, the hit percentage was up to inhuman numbers, like close to 80% each round.

So I intentionally fought a guy who had somewhat better speed... it helped but not enough. 9 rounds, 10-8 every one except a 10-7 for two knockdowns, stopped in the 10th. I think speed is factoring in a bit too much. I know slower fighters get hit more, but not by this much.

I did finally see a 9-9 round...but I also saw a 10-10... my guy was knocked down (but not hurt) and won the rest of the round, interesting and cool but he should have lost 10-9.

I haven't paid as much attention now, but at first the fans cheering was kind of odd, they'd start and stop at weird times. I am, however, on my laptop which is my slowest computer, but not that slow (Turion with 1.2 gigs of RAM).

Haven't fought any of my champions yet to see how it goes with pretty good competiton. Seemed like they were prevented from fighting for an awful long time, they finally are eligible but I've gotta quit.
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

I just got to sim a title fight - a bit more competative in the ring, but 10 rounds were 10-8, one 10-9 and one 10-10.

I just noticed that I haven't had a single KO by 10 count, they always get back enough vitality to get up. Granted they weren't frequent anyway, but it's dropped even more - but my fighters are all in the top ranks too so it's less likely to get the 10 count.

I have the feeling that my 50+ damage idea is too small - may need to be more like 100 more than the opponent to be a 10-8 round.

Fortunately for you I'm too busy at work to play and come up with more gripes. :lol:
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

The vitality is indeed regenerating too much... I knocked down a guy... it regenerated to about 21 in the four seconds he was down. He got up and it was back to 80+!

I did get to do another couple title fights and it was better than the ones with overmatched opponents, so fixing the scoring will be the big deal. Still getting almost exclusively 10-8 rounds.

I did get an interesting TKO though... he fell down and the ref immediately stopped it... that does happen sometimes in real life so I like that touch.

Yup, just saw it again... got up with vitality of 12 and suddenly it was 59. This explains why I haven't seen any one-punch KOs where the guy just couldn't get up and keep fighting lol.

Finally got my first 10 count KO... looked kinda weird though. The vitality started regenerating then it suddenly dropped back to 1 and stayed there until the count finished.

I just noticed little flickers in the Charisma bar of the main screen where you're looking at all your fighters. It'll be solid red then suddenly a little fleck of silver in just a portion of it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hello, finally I'm back online with a stable connection :)
About your comments, indeed maybe a good thing would be that you send me one of your savegame with your invincible fighters so I can check how the new game mechanics behave with such powerful boxers ;)
The vitality regeneration works a bit differently now: before, if a boxer was beaten down to 1, he would go down and get up with a very small percentage of his maximum vitality. The result was that once you brought down a boxer, you could easily win by TKO (because bringing down the small amount of vitality was quick).
So I thought to randomly (based on some boxers stats) add 2 behaviours:
1- the boxer regenerate vitality but also sometime can get up with up to half of his total vitality
2- the boxer sometime tries to get up, but then gives up and vitality goes to 1 and so you can also have 10 count KOs

2 seems to work fine for me, point 1 maybe need to be implemented differently, maybe I can just accelerate more the regeneration while he is down instead than adding completely the value, if seems a bit odd :p
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

I'll try to get it to you tonight. :)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Nevermind, I realized I had it on my flash drive. This is the file I had before the update, it's probably better because some of the boxers are lower ranked and you can see the beatdowns. :lol:

http://www.kengoding.com/slot0.zip
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

The only prob I see with the energy regenerating as it is, is that sometimes they take too much of a beating. Because they just won't get knocked out, they go down over and over again.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well after 3 KO the fight ends with TKO :lol:
But ok, next update will make a normal 10 count KO happen more often - the problem with it is that I must plan it carefully because it means end of the fight, so must happen more frequently but not excessively, otherwise could ruin the fun (I think).
Probably should be based on the knocked down boxer stats (stamina, etc) and the opponent power (if he delivers a punch more powerful than the other can stand, would cause a KO).
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Sounds good. That and the scoring and I think I'll be a happy boy. You seeing what I mean with all the 10-8 rounds? Sure they won the rounds, but...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I actually use a percentage system rather than 25-50 points. For example if total damage of boxer1 is > than boxer2 by 20% I assign a 10-8. Probably I need to increase the value of the difference. Time for more finetuning I guess... 8)