Dead But Alive 1.0e - beta

Visual Novel / Simulation game set in a zombie apocalypse setting
Post Reply
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 13697
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Dead But Alive 1.0e - beta

Post by jack1974 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Buy the game here: http://winterwolves.com/deadbutalive_so ... ngland.htm

Version 1.0e is up! You can get it two ways:
1) PATCH FILE ONLY: if you have already previous version installed, just download this patch file to update it:
http://www.winterwolves.com/download.ph ... _1_0_e.exe (150mb)
it has been made using Patchmaker, a freeware patching program.
2) FULL DOWNLOAD: if you haven't the previous version installed, the full download is here:
http://www.winterwolves.com/download.ph ... E-1.0e.exe

What´s new in 1.0e:

- Added 5 player silhouettes (including genderless silhouettes). Player is now part of the group (before he was leading the group, but the player could not control him in combat etc.)
- Added optional visual novel mode, in which the combat and the lockpicking minigame is skipped completely
- Added autosave feature
- Added an option to make story dialogue lines proceed only at the player´s pace by clicking the left mouse button (alternatively you can press "space" to pause the dialogue)
- Added a preview of the fullversion at the end of the demo
- Added a splash screen at startup, which shows the progress of the starting up process
- Added a blinking text pointing to the slot machine level
- Added an info label on the lock picking screen that you can skip lock picking by pressing Alt + F4 (you won´t be able to open the lock and won´t get any rewards this way)
- Added a blinking tutorial text pointing to the slot machine auto resolve option
- Added a blinking tutorial text at the camp and map screen
- Added additional tutoral/choice popup before the first combat in the first scene to allow the player to choose between the simulation mode and the visual novel mode. Optionally this choice can always be changed in the options menu
- Added additional combat tutorial screen when pressing F1
- Added additional map tutorial screen when pressing D1
- Added additional lock picking tutorial screen for the first two lock picking attempts (counter is reset every time the game is run)
- Balance change: The noise counter is reduced each day by 10 instead of 5
- Balance change: The AP required for some supply management actions has been lowered
- Balance change: Spawns on the map are replaced faster
- Balance change: The zombies in the first encounter have been made weaker
- Balance change: Your AP is capped at 40 / day
- Balance change: The spawning of new locations has been increased
- Balance change: Until day 20 you find 1/4 more food than usual (there are still more supplies out there to be foraged).
- Balance change: Amount of food found increased by 1/3 (became necessary due to decrease of AP).
- Balance change: When you have 100 food or more, your group starts to waste food (2x food requirement each day)
- Balance change: Player starts a new game with 40 instead of 30 food
- Balance change: Using ammo in combat uses up 2 ammo supplies
- Balance change: The action points of VIP team members have been adjusted (most had 5 AP). This does not affect members already in your group when you load an old savegame
- Other change: Quotation marks have been removed from the dialogue lines
- Other change: When you temporarily leave the game (e.g. Alt + Tab) the task bar reappears and sound & music is muted
- Fix: Sometimes when you did not have enough fuel to travel to a location, the game still did deduct AP.
- Fix: Travelling by car to the location where you suspect a potential new group member did not work.
- Fix: There were some gender specific words in the diary
- Fix: Some scaling bugs at 4:3 displays
- Fix: At one point in the game you would get a prisoner although you did not take one
- Fix: Another bug related to the old survivor (it would be a spoiler to say more)
- Fix: One dialogue when talking with the old survivor linked to the wrong sequence
- Fix: A bug has been fixed where food did disappear although you solved the specific quest
- Fix: Wounded team members did not require any food.
- Fix: There was a bug in the scavenging texts regarding the foraging of materials
- Fix: There was a bug slowing down the slot machine when combat started after a story dialogue
- Fix: There was a typo at the end of the game
- Fix: In rare cases the text on the diary was cut off at the right or bottom
- Fix: There was a problem with a dual display setup [solution not tested, because we don´t have this setup]
- Fix: When exiting the story screen by pressing ESC you were asked two times whether you want to really exit
- Fix: The tutorial texts on the camp, combat and map screens where not correctly scaled to some screen resolutions
- Fix: In 4 cases there were double quotation marks in the text
- Fix: When Gerald joins the team, there was a dialogue line wrongly associated to Gerald, but Caroline is supposed to say it ("We´ve heard you´ve helped people.")
- Fix: When talking the second time to Mike through the "manage group" screen, the game displayed Eric instead of Mike.
- Fix: At one scene the pic of Jenny was replaced with the pic of a generic survivor (there is only the generic survivor talking now).
- Fix: There was a reference to Nicky even when he did not join your group.
- Fix: There was a typo in one of the lockpicking tutorial info line

Grodul
Young scout
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 am
Location: Finland

Re: Dead But Alive 1.0e - beta

Post by Grodul » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Alright, a few notices about the game's current state.

I noticed that if I click the start up icon more that twice when starting the game it does in fact start up the game more than once and keeps them actually running. I would have thought that the other requests to start up the game would go unheeded or stop at the notice "The program is already running". Usually it is so, isn't it?

In group management page of the notebook the VIP that's representing the player there is a text, "Who is he?" So there's another hint about main character being male.

Why is the "Return to main menu" -option under Options & Settings. I would have thought to see it above the "Exit game" the moment I clicked the diary in the camp.

The yellow hints in the game are working well, but one thing is problematic. Sometimes during a fight a hint about slowing down columns appears out of nowhere for a blink. I have already fought a few fights so there should be no need to show this hint again. A clear picture about the situation in an image below.
Image

The advice about lockpicking before event itself happens twice. Is this supposed to happen?

Once again a piece of text has hidden itself in a way shown in an image below.
Image

I have to ask this: When traveling to Bournemouth area in order to find food the end of the description reads "but we can expect to find large quantity food." Shouldn't there be an "of" after quantity?

When apologizing to Eric about racism at school the text which soon follows reads: "He smiles Easy man, just pulling your leg." It's easy to notice that "he smiles" is lacking both "." and "<>".
"Now, hold on a minute. I'm currently speculating."

highcliffe
Young scout
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Dead But Alive 1.0e - beta

Post by highcliffe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Grodul wrote:Alright, a few notices about the game's current state.

I noticed that if I click the start up icon more that twice when starting the game it does in fact start up the game more than once and keeps them actually running. I would have thought that the other requests to start up the game would go unheeded or stop at the notice "The program is already running". Usually it is so, isn't it?
Not by default, but I added it now.
Grodul wrote: In group management page of the notebook the VIP that's representing the player there is a text, "Who is he?" So there's another hint about main character being male.
Right. I changed it now.
Grodul wrote: Why is the "Return to main menu" -option under Options & Settings. I would have thought to see it above the "Exit game" the moment I clicked the diary in the camp.
I removed it altogether now.
Grodul wrote: The yellow hints in the game are working well, but one thing is problematic. Sometimes during a fight a hint about slowing down columns appears out of nowhere for a blink. I have already fought a few fights so there should be no need to show this hint again. A clear picture about the situation in an image below.
Image
The idea was that it´s shown after 5 seconds of inactivity. HOWEVER I noticed there was a bug that made it appear sooner sometimes. I hope it´s fixed now. It´s now also limited to the first two days (day 6 and 7) of the game.
Grodul wrote: The advice about lockpicking before event itself happens twice. Is this supposed to happen?
Yes, that´s right. It appears before the first two lockpicking events.
Grodul wrote: Once again a piece of text has hidden itself in a way shown in an image below.
Image
I now tried something else, which hopefully finally fixes this.
Grodul wrote: I have to ask this: When traveling to Bournemouth area in order to find food the end of the description reads "but we can expect to find large quantity food." Shouldn't there be an "of" after quantity?
I think so too. I am not sure if I made the typo or the writers. Can have been me.
Grodul wrote: When apologizing to Eric about racism at school the text which soon follows reads: "He smiles Easy man, just pulling your leg." It's easy to notice that "he smiles" is lacking both "." and "<>".
Right. I also found several other occasions, which are all fixed now.

Here´s the upcoming update list:

What´s new:
- Added volume adjustment options for music and sound effects
- Other change: You can only start one instance of the game. If there is already one running in the background, you'll get an error message.
- Other change: The tutorial message coming up when you do not use the breaks in the slot machine now only does come up on the first and second day of the game (Day 6 and 7).
- Fix: Removed the option "Return to main menu" from option screen
- Fix: Sometimes the tutorial message telling you about the slot machine breaks did appear faster than after 5 seconds
- Fix: There were still problems with texts being cut off on diary text messages.
- Fix: Gender reference in the team management scren
- Fix: Some typos in the game (* * instead of [ ])
- Fix: Typo fix (a large quantity of food)
- Fix: When exiting the game in the combat screen while the slot machine was running by pressing ESC, the taskbar did not reappear

Again thanks a lot for helping out!

Post Reply